Question **** [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question ****

cammo58
08-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello everyone,
question, I have a 5.1 technics a/v receiver about 5 years old (its in the shop getting repaired, the tech says he is repairing the power supply ?) it says it put outs 100 watts per channel, well i am hearing impaired and only listened in stereo, I have an A and B channel on the receiver, I am running JBL HLS-810's for front speakers (8 ohm) and a sony dual firing sub with amp on back( 8 ohm). I am running the front speakers in channel A and The floor sub in channel B, does this sound right ? should i buy an separate amp for the receiver ?if so where and what kind ? (i am a disabled Marine so I'm on a tight budget) . I also have a pair of pristine Cerwin Vegas DX-9 DX series 4 ohm rated at 400 watts I bought new in the early 90's,$ 500.00 a piece and would like to hook them up also but of course the receiver cant handle those even tho there is a 4 ohm/8 ohm switch in the back of the receiver, so is there a way to daisy chain a separate AMP to my receiver or ? and how would i hook that up ??
Thanks, you guys know your electronics !!
John.
P.S. I like my Classic rock Loud !!

Mr Peabody
08-15-2008, 05:50 PM
If the CV's are more sensitive, put them in place of the JBL's, the pair with the highest sensitivity will play the loudest. Sensitivity is sometimes shown as "SPL" and given in dB, the higher the number the higher the sensitivity. If you don't have preamp outputs you are pretty much stuck with using the sub on "B" and can't add a separate power amp. Well, maybe I shouldn't say can't, but definitely shouldn't.

If you are on a budget, AND only listen to stereo, my suggestion would be shop the thrift stores and Craigslist for vintage, big-ass, receivers. I think most people kept their HK's and better receivers but there's a lot of 90 to 100 watt Sansui, Pioneer, Yamaha, Kenwood out there for cheap. Several guys on here do that and collect the vintage gear. One guy found some Kenwood Basic separates for cheap which was a heck of a find, so good stuff can be found. I also found a Sansui AU-9500 integrated amp which is incredible even by today's standards for $20.00. This is still a sought after amp by those who are informed. Your repair on the Technics will cost you more than it's worth. Happy hunting!

E-Stat
08-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I am running the front speakers in channel A and The floor sub in channel B, does this sound right ?
Actually, the sub is the ".1" part. It should be separate from the stereo pairs.

should i buy an separate amp for the receiver
It depends. You already have two stereo amplifiers in the chassis. The trick is whether or not you have pre-out / main-in jacks that allow you to access the power amplifier section separately. You would then use a pair of "Y" adapters to split the stereo signal output to two different amplifiers per channel.

rw

blackraven
08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Your sub is powered and should be able to run off the front channel with the main speakers. You do not have to run it off the B channels. But since your receiver is a 5.1ch
you should have a sub out that you can hook the sub to.

If your looking for a new receiver, consider the Harmon Kardon HK 3485, its a 2.1 ch receiver with 120wpc, high current (45peak amps) with sub out. You can find it online for about $250. This receiver will blow the ears off your head!

Yamaha also makes a 5.1ch AVR at 100wpc the HTR-6030 for about $170.