Generation Kill [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Generation Kill

Worf101
08-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Anyone watching this series? I know we're all fawning over TDK but there are other things to watch you know. As a vet I find the series spot on. Soldiers are soldiers and in that this miniseries is based on a book written by a Rolling Stone reporter imbeded with the Marine Corps recon unit, it has the ring of truth to it. I also doesn't hurt that they have some of the actual servicemen depicted in the series playing themselves as well. Good television but a notch below Band of Brothers as war miniseries go. Wounds are still to fresh and the war far too controversial for unbiased viewing or hero worship.

Da Worfster

dean_martin
08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
yeah, I'm watchin' when I can. still haven't caught all of episode 5 yet. I find it intriguing. I watched one episode with my son. It was either 3 or 4 where there wasn't much fighting - just a lot of moving from one place to another (I think it was the episode where the humvees "took" the abandoned airfield and almost everyone was itching to get their first kill). My son liked it but he didn't think there was enough action. I guess it's a generational thing what with all the shoot'em up video games the kids are playing these days. I was thinking there wasn't much resistance at the start of the invasion, iirc.

I think my favorite character so far is the guy with the hoarse voice callin' the shots on the ground. That guy is bad-ass! His locker-room speeches are top notch.

Worf101
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
yeah, I'm watchin' when I can. still haven't caught all of episode 5 yet. I find it intriguing. I watched one episode with my son. It was either 3 or 4 where there wasn't much fighting - just a lot of moving from one place to another (I think it was the episode where the humvees "took" the abandoned airfield and almost everyone was itching to get their first kill). My son liked it but he didn't think there was enough action. I guess it's a generational thing what with all the shoot'em up video games the kids are playing these days. I was thinking there wasn't much resistance at the start of the invasion, iirc.

I think my favorite character so far is the guy with the hoarse voice callin' the shots on the ground. That guy is bad-ass! His locker-room speeches are top notch.
That characters call sign is "GodFather" for obvious reasons. I find his character to be quite scary. He's a career Marine looking to make General before he dies. This is the kind of officer that gets you killed. The program really makes Officers look foolish or incompetent in turns. Not that I didn't have my share of brain-dead second loouies but only a couple of em were as bad as these jokers. Glad I'm not the only one watching.

Da Worfster

dean_martin
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
he'd certainly be a scary real-life military leader, but for tv he's entertaining. I can see him indoctrinating many a young marine.

A couple of the younger officers do come across as idjits. (that guy who called in the airstrike right on top of himself and his men looks like a caricature of a real dumbass.) my understanding is that the life expectancy of 2nd loouies in Vietnam was short. It must be that way in every war/battle/surge/operation.