Bands where the Front Man gets all the glory and fame [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bands where the Front Man gets all the glory and fame

Hyfi
08-15-2008, 06:11 AM
There are plenty of bands that have a Front Man who is the only person in the band people are aware of. Most of these bands would be nothing without the supporting roles of other key band members.

Two groups that come to mind are Queen and Tull.

Yeah I know, Ian will always be Tull in a sense but Tull would probably suck if Martin Barre was not the guitar player. He is one of the most Under Rated guitar players in rock.

Queen has(had) Freddy who was a great showman and great vocalist but where would Queen be without Brian May? Who?

What other bands can you add to this list?

Auricauricle
08-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Journey....what utter, mind-melting, ear-piercing, skin-burning, nose-hair-pulling, stick-bending, drool-inducing, blood curdling schlock!!

Not that I have a very strong opinion about this!

Ex Lion Tamer
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Queen has(had) Freddy who was a great showman and great vocalist but where would Queen be without Brian May? Who?

I don't think I'd include Queen in your list - I think Brian May get his due - I don't know the other members of Queen but I certainly know May and Mercury.

I might add The Smiths to your list - I'm not sure that Johnny marr gets his due let alone Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce.

And The Jam could be added to the list as well.

Spancticles
08-15-2008, 12:12 PM
dream theatre

Jack in Wilmington
08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Good choice Hyfi. Tull was the first name that came to mind. I can't tell you how many people I run into that thing Ian's name is Jethro Tull. Martin is a very underrated guitarist. I feel the same way about Clive Bunker. His solo on Dharma for One live, is one of my all time favorite drum solos.

Another band that comes to mind is Bruce Springsteen. I don't know the name of anybody else in the band. Of course I'm not a fan at all, so that could have something to do with it.

thereyet
08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
The first one that comes to my mind is Bono and U2. There is no question that Bono gets all the fame, and probably for good reason.

thereyet

Hyfi
08-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Good choice Hyfi. Tull was the first name that came to mind. I can't tell you how many people I run into that thing Ian's name is Jethro Tull. Martin is a very underrated guitarist. I feel the same way about Clive Bunker. His solo on Dharma for One live, is one of my all time favorite drum solos.

Another band that comes to mind is Bruce Springsteen. I don't know the name of anybody else in the band. Of course I'm not a fan at all, so that could have something to do with it.

Clive was a good drummer also but didn't stay for the ride. Barre is still making Ian look good today.

Springsteen is another good choice. His band is fabulous and I would listen if he didn't sing.

3-LockBox
08-16-2008, 12:06 PM
all of them

bobsticks
08-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Creed

Luvin Da Blues
08-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Barry Manilow
Michael Bolton
David Cassidy

These guys are AWESOME but their back up musicians were even better:ciappa:

Auricauricle
08-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Seal?
Sade?
Simply Red?

jasn
08-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Alice Cooper...it tore the band apart, I recall.

Auricauricle
08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
"Strange Fruit"

"Divine intervention pulled the plug on The Fruits. I guess God gets tired of all that seventies excess - that's why he invented The Sex Pistols".

Hyfi
08-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Barry Manilow
Michael Bolton
David Cassidy

These guys are AWESOME but their back up musicians were even better:ciappa:

I think you have it backwards. These guys SUCK but have good bands.