ps3 high def audio review and help. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ps3 high def audio review and help.

JIMMORRISON2000
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
hi all! just wanted to let anyone know about the high def audio on the ps3.i have absolutely come to the conclusion that if you have a receiver that has hdmi 1.2 or 1.3 definatley select linear pcm in your blu-ray settings on ps3.but you try it and say thats not very loud.well go into ps3 menu during playback and select audio volume and turn it up to +2.and bam your listening to high def audio and it rocks.but also remember this all depends on the quality of your reciever and how much power it has.but if you choose bitstream in the ps3 blu-ray settings turning up the volume in the menu has no effect.i have read in alot of forums people were confused about this.now remember if your reciever doesnt support hdmi audio 1.2 or 1.3.all you can enjoy is 5.1 dolby digital which really isnt all that bad.it just doesnt have the fidelity and soundstage like the high def audio does.i hope this helps anyone that doesnt understand.it took me awhile thats fer sure. sean

captjamo
08-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks JM2000, and welcome. To go into PS3 menu during playback do you press the green triangle? Is audio volume in the onscreen controls menu? L.J., if you read this, you have been very helpful, and you may have told me about this volume thing but I don't remember. Still just trying to fit all the pieces.

My (dream of a life time system) is fairly new. The following are things I have learned in this forum that I am going to be trying when I get home:

Try bi-amping my 703's front L & R with the extra 2 ch since I am running 5.1 only

Make sure I have PS3 set optimally for BD playback

Stick with MCAAC auto cal settings or try seperate manual EQ tweeks for each speaker if no noticeable improvement in sound then re-auto cal and basically don't tuch except for sub volume level

Just trying to get the most out of my investment so comments; please...

BTW, my system already sounds phenomenal, but you know how it is, I feel compelled to get all I can from my system

L.J.
08-14-2008, 06:40 AM
hi all! just wanted to let anyone know about the high def audio on the ps3.i have absolutely come to the conclusion that if you have a receiver that has hdmi 1.2 or 1.3 definatley select linear pcm in your blu-ray settings on ps3.but you try it and say thats not very loud.well go into ps3 menu during playback and select audio volume and turn it up to +2.and bam your listening to high def audio and it rocks.but also remember this all depends on the quality of your reciever and how much power it has.but if you choose bitstream in the ps3 blu-ray settings turning up the volume in the menu has no effect.i have read in alot of forums people were confused about this.now remember if your reciever doesnt support hdmi audio 1.2 or 1.3.all you can enjoy is 5.1 dolby digital which really isnt all that bad.it just doesnt have the fidelity and soundstage like the high def audio does.i hope this helps anyone that doesnt understand.it took me awhile thats fer sure. sean

HDMI 1.1 is ok for HD audio as well. Just gotta make sure the AVR can accept MCPCM via HDMI.

I would leave the internal volume set at 0 or "normal" and just use the AVR to adjust the volume. Setting the internal volume at "+2" can introduce noise or distortion into the signal especially during peak/dynamic scenes.

Do a google of "internal PS3 volume" and you'll find all kinds of forums with reports of distortion from turning up the internal volume.

Mine is set to 0.

BTW, welcome to AR :14:

L.J.
08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks JM2000, and welcome. To go into PS3 menu during playback do you press the green triangle? Is audio volume in the onscreen controls menu? L.J., if you read this, you have been very helpful, and you may have told me about this volume thing but I don't remember. Still just trying to fit all the pieces.

My (dream of a life time system) is fairly new. The following are things I have learned in this forum that I am going to be trying when I get home:

Try bi-amping my 703's front L & R with the extra 2 ch since I am running 5.1 only

Make sure I have PS3 set optimally for BD playback

Stick with MCAAC auto cal settings or try seperate manual EQ tweeks for each speaker if no noticeable improvement in sound then re-auto cal and basically don't tuch except for sub volume level

Just trying to get the most out of my investment so comments; please...

BTW, my system already sounds phenomenal, but you know how it is, I feel compelled to get all I can from my system

Yeah you press triangle while a BD or DVD is playing to get into the on screen setup menu. You'll find a ton of options and that's where the internal volume control is. I already commented on that in my first post. I have mine set to 0.

The bi-amping and MCAAC settings are up to you. What I mean by that, is there isn't really a right or wrong. Just gotta experiment and get your hands dirty. From what I've read, the bi-amping can go either way. Some have noted improvements while others didn't. I say, give it a try and let us know what you think.

I've always liked to use my auto setup for the initial distance and level settings. My Denon, Onkyo & Yammie all do a great job at this. I usually go back and double check with my measuring tape/Rat meter and rarely have to make any adjustments. I toy around with the EQ's but always end up turning them off. I just don't like 'em and perfer to leave it as it is. You may prefer to go in and make a tweak here and there or leave the EQ engaged. It's really whatever sounds best to you.

I do have my sub EQ'd though and that has made a night and day difference. Pulling my surrounds a little further back, moving my mains off the wall a bit and slightly toed in made a noted difference, so speaker placement is always a free tweak. You could also try some DIY sound panels. I guess there's always gonna something to mess with :cornut:

JIMMORRISON2000
08-14-2008, 09:06 PM
i think i recall when i first got my ps3 volume adjustement wasnt available at first.then i downloaded some firmware updates over the net and that is when i was able to use it.i keep the volume for linear pcm at +2 i have no issues with distortion its crystal clear.

L.J.
08-15-2008, 10:16 AM
i think i recall when i first got my ps3 volume adjustement wasnt available at first.then i downloaded some firmware updates over the net and that is when i was able to use it.i keep the volume for linear pcm at +2 i have no issues with distortion its crystal clear.

Glad everything is working out for you. My point though, is that bumping up the internal volume has caused distortion for some. Doing a quick google will verify that. Just giving a heads up to anyone that may be reading this thread.