King Crimson Rawked last night but what is Fripp’s problem? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : King Crimson Rawked last night but what is Fripp’s problem?

Hyfi
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Last night KC played show 2 at the Keswick to a sold out crowd. Lineup as previously discussed was Levin-Fripp-Belew-Harrison-Mastelotto. Yeah yeah, it took two drummers to fill Bruford’s seat but it was pretty cool although they drowned out almost every note Levin played.

This was one of the oddest shows I have attended and I’ll get to why as I ramble. I had read on the net that Fripp starts his shows on time regardless of how many people are seated. I like that idea but 50% of concert goers are either fashionably late or outside smoking so as the show started I missed seeing most of the first 45 minutes due to people walking up and down the aisles. Sit the F down and shut up. I hate getting penalized for being on time.

There was barely an introduction besides all being hassled to turn off phones or be thrown out along with having my binoculars inspected for being a camera. The band walked out on stage and started playing at exactly 7:30 which is what was on the tickets.

I can’t list all the tunes played but a partial list would be as follows:
Vroom
Dinosaur
Walking on Air
Red
Thela Hun Ginjeet
Indiscipline
Elephant Talk
B’boom
Sex Sleep Eat Drink
Frame by Frame
Three of a Perfect Pair
A few others I can’t remember but here is a link to a review and list from earlier show.
http://blogcoward.com/archive/2008/08/03/King-Crimson-08022008-Nashville-TN-Show-Recap.aspx

As usual, Levin was a madman on his 10 string stick playing hundreds of notes a minute but overshadowed by the all too loud drums. Belew was almost his usual self in that he smiled the whole time while creating the strangest noises from his guitar. I categorize some of this as Controlled Noise. Gavin Harrison from Porky Tree appeared to be more relaxed and comfortable with Bruford chops than Mastelotto did but together they put out some great synchronized drumming.

Fripp hid behind a wall or an amp while remaining seated and motionless the whole show. I think the only people who could see him were those up front to the left. All I could see was the top of his balding head and a set of cans thru which he may have been listening to The Mamas and the Papas.

There was absolutely NO interaction with the audience. No intro of the musicians so if you were unaware of whos who, shame on you. There was no thank you after songs and about 30 seconds in which to clap before the next song. This was what was odd. Did Fripp forbid the band members to show that they appreciated the fact that several thousand people just payed $50 to see them play? Were they told they had to behave like arogant schmucks like himself? I don’t know what the deal was. Better yet, when the band did get up and gather front stage to bow to the crowd, Fripp ran off the back in the other direction so he was not there to bow. He did this 3 times since after 75 minutes, the band just quickly bowed and walked off the stage. I knew by the earlier posted set list they were not done yet so I remained seated for their return. They came back and played two more songs and walked off silently again. Still no Elephant Talk so I knew they would be back. They did finish up with ET and one more before one last Frippless bow to the crowd and it was done.

I have no idea what instrument, if any Fripp was playing and after seing Belew and his Power Trio last year, KC would have been fine without him last night.

Ha, and to throw in a comment for the Lip Syncing thread, they used sound tracks on Neurotica and Thela Hun Ginjeet.

All in all the show was superb and was very close to the show I saw in 1982 at the old Tower in Philly.

The show ended after 1 hour and 45 minutes of non stop music at about 9:20 so that Fripp could get his geriatric ass in bed by 10 pm.

Troy
08-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah, he's a curmudgeon, but this sounds like a particularly irritable bowel kinda night, even for him.

Harrison and Mastellotto, wow.

Finch Platte
08-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Last night KC played show 2 at the Keswick to a sold out crowd.

Wow, thanks for the great writeup.

I would bet that Fripp is bored as sh!t playing all these songs for the billionth time, just so he can make enough $$ for his other projects, whatever they might be.

And what Troy said.

fp

Hyfi
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Yeah, he's a curmudgeon, but this sounds like a particularly irritable bowel kinda night, even for him.

Harrison and Mastellotto, wow.

A first seeing and now highly appreciating these two guys. It could have doubled for a clinic at times.

Maybe he ran off stage to change his depends.

emesbee
08-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Did Fripp actually do anything? If not, then why is he even in the band any more?

Hyfi
08-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Did Fripp actually do anything? If not, then why is he even in the band any more?

I'm not sure since he hid behind a wall or something. I never saw what or if he was doing anything at all. They don't need him from my POV.

Spancticles
08-14-2008, 12:07 PM
hes probably getting progressively
snicker
more squeamish about playing in front of people
not stage fright
agoraphobia?
maybe he just doesnt like people

Hyfi
08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
hes probably getting progressively
snicker
more squeamish about playing in front of people
not stage fright
agoraphobia?
maybe he just doesnt like people

If that is the case, he should not perform.