Jewel cases [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jewel cases

Bernd
08-13-2008, 07:10 AM
CD Jewel Cases - What an optimistic name . That'll be the type of jewel that breaks the first time you look at it, the type of jewel that cracks, splits and spits tiny bits of itself all over the place whenever it feels like it. The little teeth that hold the disc in place were clearly designed to have a half life of ten seconds before disintegrating into plastic dandruff and the tabs that hold the front cover onto the back are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Twenty odd years after and we still have to put up with this carp. Whereas the black stuffs packaging breaks in a gentle, 'can't be arsed to stay glued together any more, man' analogue kinduva way.
None of yer harsh, digital 'fcuk off I'm broken' s**t. Ah that feels better now.:ciappa:

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2008, 07:39 AM
LMAO!!!!

Oh my Bernd, I never realized that you could be so cynical.

But I agree. Jewel cases are horrid little things. Let's not forget how all those broken cases aren't biodegradable and are heaping up in our landfill sites for generations to come. While our friendly cardboard LP covers are slowly disintegrating...dust to dust.

BRANDONH
08-13-2008, 07:41 AM
CD Jewel Cases - What an optimistic name . That'll be the type of jewel that breaks the first time you look at it, the type of jewel that cracks, splits and spits tiny bits of itself all over the place whenever it feels like it. The little teeth that hold the disc in place were clearly designed to have a half life of ten seconds before disintegrating into plastic dandruff and the tabs that hold the front cover onto the back are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Twenty odd years after and we still have to put up with this carp. Whereas the black stuffs packaging breaks in a gentle, 'can't be arsed to stay glued together any more, man' analogue kinduva way.
None of yer harsh, digital 'fcuk off I'm broken' s**t. Ah that feels better now.:ciappa:
I recently made a new friend only bu sheer accident I had ordered a D2D record from Accousticsounds.com and is was mistakenly sent to this guy well he saw my email address on the billing sheet emailed me and shipped it to me.
This says a lot to me about his honesty!
It turns out he sells Jewel Cases and such and his products like record sleeves are well known.
I just read today a review on his Ultimate Audio record sleeves here: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/lp_sleaves.htm
Anyway check out his website: http://www.sleevetown.com/

markw
08-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Granted, thery consist of only three pieces, two of which are prone to breakage : The front cover, where the ears snap off if you look at them funny, and the fingers on the inner back cover that holds the CD in the case. I can't ever recall ever having to replace the outer back cover.

Fortunately, you can buy blanks to replace the dead parts for pennies. One of the ears on the front cover breaks? Slip out the cover artwork, snap on the front cover from a donor case and reinsert the cover artwork. Likewise, the fingers break off the inside back cover? Pry it out and simply replace with a donor inner back cover. Back in business in a minute.

Now, when the fingers break off one of these "eco-friendly" cardboard cases where the artwork is part of the case itself, well...

IMNSHO, yer basic jewel case is the lesser of the available evils due to the availability of cheap replacment parts..

MindGoneHaywire
08-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Mark, you may have a stick stuck somewhere about Noo Yawkers changing the landscape of formerly-rural NJ, but you're dead right about this. Digipaks are superior so far as aesthetics, duh, but jewel cases can almost always be replaced & therefore I prefer them by far. Damage to a digipak that cannot be undone is worse than most typical damage that could ever be done to LP jackets & sleeves, & even if you take fairly good care of your stuff, it's not that hard to have something go wrong with one of 'em, even if you never damage the disc through handling. Once the disc doesn't snap into place properly on a digipak, though, it's a lot more likely you're going to end up with scratches.

And slipcases? You can scratch the disc just pulling it out of the sleeve, no matter how careful you are, or end up getting fingerprints on the disc, before the thing ever gets played. All that said, plastic jewel cases may be harder on the environment. But with fewer discs being sold these days, it would stand to reason that fewer are being manufactured, also. In any case, aesthetics or no, give me a jewel case over a digipak any day.

emesbee
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
I reckon DVD cases are worse. I hate the ones that have a ridge running all the way around the edge of the disc, which prevents you from getting a grip on it. The only way you can remove the disc is by pressing the centre button with one hand, hold the case upside down and shake it until the disc falls out. What moron designed that?

basite
08-14-2008, 02:12 AM
I completely agree...

those things break even before you can touch them. I've actually broken several cases while trying to reinsert them into my cd collection again. I try to replace as much broken covers as I can, but I ran out of spare covers a few weeks ago, and broken covers actually ruin the look completely. not like with LP sleeves (outer sleeves, of course), where a big of 'aging' can make it look 'different' but not necessarily bad.

they also have 'super jewel boxes' now, which are supposed to be better, but still, one managed to break in my collection :(

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Spancticles
08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
could be worse
could be digi pack