Best Test CD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Test CD?

johnnam1
08-13-2008, 12:10 AM
What is the best test CD out there? I'm kinda' new to all of this, but I'm looking for a high impact test CD that has some good drum recordings and perhaps some other contemporary sounding stuff. Any suggestions? And where can I get it?

Finch Platte
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
What is the best test CD out there? I'm kinda' new to all of this, but I'm looking for a high impact test CD that has some good drum recordings and perhaps some other contemporary sounding stuff. Any suggestions? And where can I get it?

You like a good drum sound, get this one by Weckl. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C9JDR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

AllMusic sez: Dave Weckl usually performs a couple weeks a year at Catalina's in Hollywood. This two-CD set features his 2002 quartet, a versatile unit comprised of the leader/drummer, keyboardist Steve Weingart, electric bassist Tom Kennedy, and saxophonist Gary Meek. Their music is reminiscent of the Yellowjackets and (during its Jaco phase) Weather Report, with Weingart sometimes hinting at Chick Corea. The styles range from groovin' fusion to post-bop, with very good musicianship, creative solos, and generally interesting originals. Weckl is a powerful drummer yet is quite subtle during much of this set. One of the highlights of the two-fer is a spirited version of "The Chicken," but all of these selections work well, especially the music on the first disc. Things bog down a little during Thelonious Monk's "Rhythm-A-Ning" (a bass/drum duet that puts the focus on Kennedy) and the drum solo "Cultural Concurrence," but the other ten numbers feature the full quartet in prime form. The closing "Tiempo de Festival" uses a sample of four horns from an earlier date and is triggered through Weingart's keyboards. Highly recommended.

And you can buy it just about anywhere CDs and shoes are sold.

fp

bobsticks
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Whattup Finch. Interesting choice. I don't have that one but I may search it out, especially given the works cited as comparisons. To those ends, I like the Yellowjackets' Time Squared sacd or maybe DF's Morph The Cat. Full scale orchestral is always good for testing ultimate dynamics...mebbe somethin' like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Nos-5-7/dp/B00007KMOX

We can all list some great sounding discs (and I hope folks do, it always gets me good recs) but it's important to note that you also want to listen to some lesser works too. Meaning, if you listen to rock music don't just take "audiophile grade" hi-rez discs to an audition. If ya likes some dirty rawk bring some dirty rawk to get an idea how the speaks will handle it. Some old Stones or Charlatans UK or something...

You don't want to end up with speakers that do nothing but highlight the faults of your preferred music style.

Slosh
08-13-2008, 11:37 PM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=27397&highlight=Sounds+Good%21+mk.+III

I took the files off line but I'm sure someone would be willing to burn you a copy if you just ask.

NP:

johnnam1
08-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks guys, the Dave Weckl suggestion seems to be just what I'm looking for. Any suggestions for in-studio recordings as well? I once heard a tidbit from my friend's test CD, I think it was from Sheffield Labs and the part that I heard was an extended in-studio drum solo and it sounded awesome to me, would you suggest CDs from Sheffield Labs? Does anyone know the title of that CD that I'm talking about?

Auricauricle
08-14-2008, 05:37 AM
I enjoy Brand X: Moroccon Roll. After Peter Gabriel left Genesis, Phil Collins started Brand X, which focused more on musicianship than theatrics. Starting from the ethereal then drifting and eventually banging into the funky, Moroccan Roll is an album of great dynamic range and musical virtuosity. The musicians each contribute their portion in snippets of sound here and giant bites of noise there, culminating in an album that is sonically very exciting, emotionally stunnng and intellectually jarring. As a test CD, it is very good for checking speed, imaging and nuance.

67deucess
08-15-2008, 06:09 AM
One of the most, if not the most, demanding CDs in my collection is Kid A by Radiohead. Electronic and analog mix to create very unique soundscapes, with challenging frequencies played throughout. Deep ambient bass, drum kits, and programmed beats test out your low end response, while Thom Yorke's falsetto voice, horns, strings, and electronic flourishes leave your tweeters begging for mercy. I've heard this album cause more distortion on lesser systems than any other record I can think of -- you might want to give it a spin.