Acoustic Research? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Research?

dread31
08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Does AR even make speakers anymore?

Computer and auto speakers don't count--- not in my twisted mind, anyways.

Dave

dingus
08-13-2008, 07:30 AM
the only connection with Acoustic Research today and the company of twenty years ago is the name. i think the last good speaker they made was the AR 303 which was an update of the classic AR3a. for all things AR related see http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/.

bubslewis
08-15-2008, 07:13 PM
About a year and a half ago I bought an Acoustic Research brand HT-in-a-box. 4 AR 6 satellites, center channel, and 10" sub. The sub is terrible, center channel and sats are pretty good, fairly heavy for their size. Piano black finish looks nice. Made in China.

I don't know if there are other speakers from AR, but I think there are. All made in China for sure.

Bill

dread31
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
About a year and a half ago I bought an Acoustic Research brand HT-in-a-box. 4 AR 6 satellites, center channel, and 10" sub. The sub is terrible, center channel and sats are pretty good, fairly heavy for their size. Piano black finish looks nice. Made in China.

I don't know if there are other speakers from AR, but I think there are. All made in China for sure.

Bill

So sad. Another great name----attached to junk.

thekid
08-16-2008, 03:08 AM
I recently picked up a pair of AR wireless speakers for $10 at the local thrift because they mistakenly thought they were computer speakers so that should tell you something right there. When looking up the model I found that BB is still basically selling this same model as their only wireless speaker offering.

I can't say how the ones I have sound because I need a plug attachment for the transmitter. From what reviews on these I have read it looks like $10 was probably the right price so I guess you can cross another brand off your list.