anyone keep up w/Southern Rock? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : anyone keep up w/Southern Rock?

dean_martin
08-12-2008, 05:58 PM
some interesting developments I just stumbled upon:

Luther Dickerson of the North Mississippi Allstars has joined the Black Crowes for their latest tour. I didn't know the Black Crowes were still around but they have a new album out.

The former lead singer of the Georgia Satellites has a relatively new band with some respected musicians called the Yayhoos. They had a fun sing-a-long bar song on the Slither soundtrack called "Baby I Love You."

Oh well. There may be no interest here in the so. rock/bar band genre but I recently had the urge to listen to some older Black Crowes, Widespread Panic, etc. from the 90s and stumbled on this recent news. Also, I found out that the lead singer of Widespread Panic has been doing an acoustic solo tour and has played in my own back yard, Mobile, AL, recently.

bobsticks
08-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey deano. I think I might still have some older Crowes but a little goes a long way. If you like stuff that's a little more raucous mebbe check out "ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY" (http://shop.relapse.com/content/resound.aspx?EditorialID=92), kinda like Thin Lizzy or a heavier Nazareth.

Is the guy from the Satellites less annoying now than the "no huggy-no kissy" thang?

Rich-n-Texas
08-13-2008, 07:07 AM
The current incarnation of the Allman Brothers band (kinda Classic Blues mixed w/Southern Rock) is suing their record lable, Universal Music Group because they claim they're not getting royalties from CD's and MP3 downloads. A $10 million lawsuit.

I see Lynyrd Skynyrd on MHD or HDNET (forget which one) doing a recent concert but they don't really thrill me anymore. IMO some bands should just stay "retired".

I knew The Black Crows were back in business with Chris Robinson rejoining the band; don't know what Luther does with them but I liked their style back in their day.

dean_martin
08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey deano. I think I might still have some older Crowes but a little goes a long way. If you like stuff that's a little more raucous mebbe check out "ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY" (http://shop.relapse.com/content/resound.aspx?EditorialID=92), kinda like Thin Lizzy or a heavier Nazareth.

Is the guy from the Satellites less annoying now than the "no huggy-no kissy" thang?

Dan Baird is the guy from the Satellites. Apparently, he's done some solo stuff and has had a couple different bands since those days. In the Yayhoos, he shares mic time with Eric "Roscoe" Ambel who actually sings lead on the only song I'm familiar with from them (Baby I Love You [but leave me the f*ck alone]). Short answer is "I can't say", but they do a cover of ABBA's Dancing Queen which has the potential to be annoying. Anyhow, it seems that there is a beer and twang contingent out of Chicago of all places that evolved from or revolves around a label called Bloodshot Records. I'm gonna look more deeply into their catalog (goes back to mid 90s) when time permits.

I ran across the name Alabama Thunderpussy but haven't checked'em out yet. My real so. rock days have long passed but I recently started thinking about songs that came out about the time I first started playing guitar. One of my friends picked up the opening acoustic guitar line in She Talks to Angels almost immediately. I thought that was pretty cool back then. Hell, I never learned to play it.

jamison
08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I see Lynyrd Skynyrd on MHD or HDNET (forget which one) doing a recent concert but they don't really thrill me anymore. IMO some bands should just stay "retired".
+1 on that... and theres some out there that really need to retire.. i used to be a huge AC/DC fan and even a Stones fan. i still enjoy their music but they look and perfom like they have been stored in formadlyhide.

MissSuki
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
My local station, xpn in Philly, plays quite a bit of the Black Crowe's new album. I've liked everything I've heard so far. The album gained some noteriety when Maxim published a review without hearing the album. Maxim issued this statement:

‘Of course, we always prefer to (sic) hearing music, but sometimes there are big albums that we don’t want to ignore that aren’t available to hear, which is what happened with the Crowes. It’s either an educated guess preview or no coverage at all, so in this case we chose the former.’”

Unbelievable, hey?

dean_martin
08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
My local station, xpn in Philly, plays quite a bit of the Black Crowe's new album. I've liked everything I've heard so far. The album gained some noteriety when Maxim published a review without hearing the album. Maxim issued this statement:

‘Of course, we always prefer to (sic) hearing music, but sometimes there are big albums that we don’t want to ignore that aren’t available to hear, which is what happened with the Crowes. It’s either an educated guess preview or no coverage at all, so in this case we chose the former.’”

Unbelievable, hey?

how educated can a guess preview be?

So you're from Philly, huh? Do you listen to homeboy G.Love? My wife and I are going to see him in Atlanta next Friday night!

kexodusc
08-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't say I keep up with Southern Rock, but I do like a ton of pseudo southern rock ish stuff...All the old favs of course, but I'm a huge fan of Widespread Panic, the Allman Bros, and anything Warren Haynes touches - Love the Mule, Derek Trucks, all that stuff.
I'll definitely second the Alabama Thunderpussy rec for dean...whatcha waitin' fo'?

I will check out the new Black Crowes cd, thanks!

Jack in Wilmington
08-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Just getting into a group called "Back Door Slam". One of the guys I work with leant me their CD. Excellent vocals. Former bassist for "Tool" Adam Jones fronts the band. They sound nothing like "Tool". More of a southern bluesy rock sound.

bobsticks
08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't say I keep up with Southern Rock, but I do like a ton of pseudo southern rock ish stuff...All the old favs of course, but I'm a huge fan of Widespread Panic, the Allman Bros, and anything Warren Haynes touches - Love the Mule, Derek Trucks, all that stuff.
I'll definitely second the Alabama Thunderpussy rec for dean...whatcha waitin' fo'?

I will check out the new Black Crowes cd, thanks!

How did I forget about the Mule?!? Mule rocks, bay-bay...have a taste deano...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcUTUvoX90

Wanna see some cool toys? Mang, I want one of them '64 Firebird 3s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzNOC5Lk8e0&feature=related

rawk on

---sticks

dean_martin
08-13-2008, 06:57 PM
yeah, nice axe! that '58 LP Special is sweet too. I started out a Fender fan. My first guitar - an '86 reissue '62 Jazzmaster MIJ - is still my fave. But one of these days I'm gettin' a Gibson. In the meantime, I'm goin' Thunderpussy huntin' this weekend.

Mr Peabody
08-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Skynyrd hasn't been doing too bad. Their last album was pretty good, the one with Red White and Blue. It was probably the closest album to the earlier stuff to date. They've got Rick Medlock from Blackfoot fame with them. I like Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, Outlaws and most of the stuff mentioned. Not so hot on Black Crows. I'm going to look me up some Thunderpussy though, that sounds interesting.

Anyone heard any Rehab? I'm going to pick up Graffiti The World

Isn't Kid Rock the poster boy for Southern Rock now? Talking about stinking the place up, his new single sucks to the inth degree. His record company must be paying good payola though about every genre of radio station is playing it. Except the Rock station and maybe the R&B station.

Will Southern Rock die with the greats or will some one come up and give it some life again? I mean sure there's the few mentioned but they aren't comparable to Skynyrd, Allman Bros, Outlaws or even Marshall Tucker.

kexodusc
08-14-2008, 04:11 AM
How did I forget about the Mule?!? Mule rocks, bay-bay...have a taste deano...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcUTUvoX90

Wanna see some cool toys? Mang, I want one of them '64 Firebird 3s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzNOC5Lk8e0&feature=related

rawk on

---sticks

Hey I didn't know you liked dis' stuff...shoulda figured. All this talk makes me want to grow a mullet and get my denim jacket out of storage!

jasn
08-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I hope not seeing the Drive By Truckers mentioned yet is because they're an obvious inclusion?

bobsticks
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey I didn't know you liked dis' stuff...shoulda figured.

You shoulda, you shoulda...hey, which version you get of "High + Mighty"? Nevermind...

I love me some Warren Haynes...man's got soul. I got my flame suit on for even thinking 'bout suggesting this on this site but I'm lovin' the sit-in he did with Dave Matthews for "Cortez The Killer" on The Central Park dealio. Anyone can say what they want but that was a great moment.

Mr Peabody
08-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I listened to samples of Alabama Thunderpussy, their 2005 album reminds me a lot of Helmet. The 2007 album has a bit different sound. Their not your daddy's Lynyrd Skynyrd :)

Screaming Cheeto Wheelies, anyone?

MissSuki
08-15-2008, 06:43 AM
how educated can a guess preview be?

So you're from Philly, huh? Do you listen to homeboy G.Love? My wife and I are going to see him in Atlanta next Friday night!

It would be hard to miss G.Love around here lately. I only know what I hear on xpn though and I think he is maybe getting less bluesy and more like whatever genre Jack Johnson is in. Have fun in AC!

Duds
08-15-2008, 07:33 AM
I just heard Back Door Slam and was really impressed. It's not the Adam Jones of Tool though....

Just getting into a group called "Back Door Slam". One of the guys I work with leant me their CD. Excellent vocals. Former bassist for "Tool" Adam Jones fronts the band. They sound nothing like "Tool". More of a southern bluesy rock sound.

MissSuki
08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Back Door Slam is from a little island off the coast of Ireland. The singer is all of 20 years old, I think.

Swish
08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
My local station, xpn in Philly, plays quite a bit of the Black Crowe's new album. I've liked everything I've heard so far. The album gained some notoriety when Maxim published a review without hearing the album. Maxim issued this statement:

Unbelievable, hey?

...and new blood is good, especially PA blood. I've been listening to XPN (I'm a member in good standing) for years and was really please when they expanded near me (I live near Hershey). I don't like everything they play, but perhaps 50-60%.

I won't comment on that goofy Maxim thing, but wanted to say hello.

Swishdaddy - codger in residence

dean_martin
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
It would be hard to miss G.Love around here lately. I only know what I hear on xpn though and I think he is maybe getting less bluesy and more like whatever genre Jack Johnson is in. Have fun in AC!

G.Love was off my radar for about 12 years. Don't know whether he's gone through a career revival or I just didn't keep up. I remember Blues Music, Cold Beverage and Baby's Got Sauce. Then outta nowhere years later he comes out with lemonade and superhero bro.

Swish
08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
The current incarnation of the Allman Brothers band (kinda Classic Blues mixed w/Southern Rock) is suing their record lable, Universal Music Group because they claim they're not getting royalties from CD's and MP3 downloads. A $10 million lawsuit.

I knew The Black Crows were back in business with Chris Robinson rejoining the band; don't know what Luther does with them but I liked their style back in their day.

... for the umpteenth time. I wouldn't normally see them these days but the opportunity to see Warren Haynes live will make it worth it to me. The man can do no wrong. I was listening to Southern rock way back when (70s and early 80s) but grew increasingly tired of hearing Green Grass and High Tides and Freebird over and over again.

Swish

thereyet
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
all seemed to turn Republican. Can't spend any time with that action any more.

I do like G Mule and the Allman Bros though. I just don't get to hear anything that is new in that vein anymore. Must be a California thing.

SUKI!!!! Good to see ya posting!

That is a funny story about the Black Crowes "review".

Now if we want to talk Alt Country...I think that is the route that "country rockers" have ultimately taken.

thereyet