dead pixel or dust behind screen? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : dead pixel or dust behind screen?

Astro
08-09-2008, 01:13 PM
hey guys
at the moment i have noticed what appears like a dead pixel on my plasma. i can see it on a white background and appears black in color. The only thing is when i turn the plasma off and shine a torch where the pixel is there is a very tiny black dot that appears to be inbetween the screen and the pixels themselves. when i shine the torch on it i get a shadow also casting on the pixels behind it.
Does this sound like a dead pixel or is it more likey a case of dust/grime caught behind the screen?

pixelthis
08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
hey guys
at the moment i have noticed what appears like a dead pixel on my plasma. i can see it on a white background and appears black in color. The only thing is when i turn the plasma off and shine a torch where the pixel is there is a very tiny black dot that appears to be inbetween the screen and the pixels themselves. when i shine the torch on it i get a shadow also casting on the pixels behind it.
Does this sound like a dead pixel or is it more likey a case of dust/grime caught behind the screen?

You dont get "dead" pixels on a plasma.
On LCD when a transis tor dies it lets light through all of the time,
making a bright little spot of light that you wont notice until you get to a dark scene.
On a plasma the whole frikkin thing dies.
Which happens more than they like to admit, so like with groundbeefs
plasma, they call the dead tube a "circuit board" ( like a space shuttle crash being called an "incident) and you never get it back.
As for your set that is called poor QC, these plasma tubes have to be made in cleanroom conditions practically , just get ONE spec of dirt
on (or in) one...
For example, a typical QC dept in a plasma display factory...:1:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Geeze, some people just cannot get their answers correct. There is such thing as a dead pixel on plasma's, but they are alot more rare than on LCD's.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/plasma-tv-faqs.html#What_are_Dead_Pixels_and_do_plasma_displ ay_panels_suffer_from_dead_pixels_-_in_a_similar_manner_to_LCD_displa

Astro, what you describe is a dead pixel, and I am not sure anything can be done about it.

bobsticks
08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Sir Sisyphus the Terrible

http://www.crossfitenc.com/my_weblog/images/2007/09/03/sisyphus.jpg

Groundbeef
08-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Sir Sisyphus the Terrible

http://www.crossfitenc.com/my_weblog/images/2007/09/03/sisyphus.jpg

Where did you find a picture of a man rolling a giant ball of dung? ....On second thought, never mind.

08-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Where did you find a picture of a man rolling a giant ball of dung? ....On second thought, never mind.

eeeeeeeewwwwww, beef, you have a very fertile imagination. Meatball yes, but dung? LOLOL

bobsticks
08-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Order of the Commonwealth;
doth hereby Decree and Commend the following Rule of Life
and Constitution for the Guidance of Officers, Knights and Dames
of the said Order; doth hereby recognise new to the order and by Declaration of the Queen:

Sir Groundbeef the Dung Beetle

pixelthis
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Geeze, some people just cannot get their answers correct. There is such thing as a dead pixel on plasma's, but they are alot more rare than on LCD's.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/plasma-tv-faqs.html#What_are_Dead_Pixels_and_do_plasma_displ ay_panels_suffer_from_dead_pixels_-_in_a_similar_manner_to_LCD_displa

Astro, what you describe is a dead pixel, and I am not sure anything can be done about it.

You are talking about something completely different.
The reason this is so rare is that on a plasma it usually kills the display,
its a unicorn basically, kinda like your love life.
A dead pixel in an LCD isnt life threating for the entire display, its just one transistor in an array.
a "BAD" PIXEL is actually a bad display in a plasma set, which increases the chances of failure significantly.
The odds just get better for catasropic failure, kinda like you old
bean. :1:

Auricauricle
08-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Ain't Beef supposed t'be usin' 'is feet??

08-19-2008, 08:01 AM
You are talking about something completely different.
The reason this is so rare is that on a plasma it usually kills the display,
its a unicorn basically, kinda like your love life.
A dead pixel in an LCD isnt life threating for the entire display, its just one transistor in an array.
a "BAD" PIXEL is actually a bad display in a plasma set, which increases the chances of failure significantly.
The odds just get better for catasropic failure, kinda like you old
bean. :1:

Bull**** you lying wonder. What the OP is talking about matches exactly what a dead pixel is on both plasma and LCD. Here is a towel, just wipe the mud off your stupid face and move on idiot.

pixelthis
08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Bull**** you lying wonder. What the OP is talking about matches exactly what a dead pixel is on both plasma and LCD. Here is a towel, just wipe the mud off your stupid face and move on idiot.

A dead pixel is a term for a dead transistor in a LCD display nimrod.
Not that you would know anything about modern display tech
with that CRT museam of yours.
A speck in a plasma display is poor QC, a potential failure of the display , and a reason for a lawsuit. Probably.
But it is NOT a dead pixel, clueless, quit tryin to stand on your hind legs and stop cussin your betters, little man:1:

hydroman
08-29-2008, 07:45 AM
of the said Order; doth hereby recognise new to the order and by Declaration of the Queen:

:idea:
Close!
'Sir Loin of Beuf'

teehehehee.

pixelthis
08-30-2008, 07:57 PM

bullocks.
TALK ABOUT DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR.
The only "queens" you know (besides the group) are the ones
you sit around and talk hoisery with:1:

bobsticks
08-30-2008, 08:23 PM
...but let's at least establish that the "queens" and princesses 'round these parts don't wear hosiery that comes with poles and is sized in increments of "Theater-Sized", "Sit Down-Buffet", or "Three Man Camping".

pixelthis
08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=bobsticks]...but let's at least establish that the "queens" and princesses 'round these parts don't wear hosiery that comes with poles and is sized in increments of "Theater-Sized", "Sit Down-Buffet", or "Three Man Camping".