Paradigm Launches Monitor Series V.6 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Launches Monitor Series V.6

Ajani
08-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Looks like Paradigm is trying to give Musical Fidelity competition as the audio manufacturer that can launch the most products in the shortest timeframe... The Monitor Series is being updated to V.6 (the V.5 line came out less than 2 year ago, around December 2006, if I'm not mistaken)...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/press-releases/press-releases/paradigm-introduces-monitor-series-v.6.html

From the article it seems that most of the changes will be cosmetic ones.... something other brands in this price range (Yes Revel, I'm talking to you) really should also consider doing....

Of interest to me about the V.5 and now V.6 lines is the sensitivity... I believe the Monitor 11 has a 97db sensitivity... Which certainly makes it appealing for tear the roof off volume levels... well that combined with TRIPLE 7.5 woofers.... I think I may need to audition a pair....

Woochifer
08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Interesting. Looks like they also bumped up the prices quite a bit. The Atoms now go for about $300 a pair. Just two series ago, those speakers were still selling for $200 a pair.

The timing's actually not that far out of line from Paradigm's normal schedule. If they announce it now, that likely means that the new versions won't ship for at least a few more months. I don't remember when the v.5 Monitors actually shipped, but a 20 month turnaround between updates is actually pretty normal for Paradigm. I recall that they were still selling the v.2 models in 2001, went to the v.3 models sometime in 2003, and the v.4 models arrived in either late-2004 or early 2005.

Tander98
08-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Actually my dealer says the V6s are shipping now. He told me that he can order them and have them in 3 to 4 days. He's not pushing them though, he has a few sets of V5s he wants to move before the new ones.

Feanor
08-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Looks like Paradigm is trying to give Musical Fidelity competition as the audio manufacturer that can launch the most products in the shortest timeframe... The Monitor Series is being updated to V.6 (the V.5 line came out less than 2 year ago, around December 2006, if I'm not mistaken)...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/press-releases/press-releases/paradigm-introduces-monitor-series-v.6.html

Is the Monitor line still manufactured in Canada? If so, Paradigm is hold-out in this regard. PSB, Energy, and Athena, and I sure most "Canadian" speaker makers have take the easy route and abandoned on North American manufacturing in favor of China. Paul Barton of PSB in a recent Stereophile article appeared to actually gloated about how all sourcing and manufacture for his new Imagine line is in China. North Americans only good enough to buy your stuff, eh, Paul?

[EDIT] I just remembered that Energy, Athena, and Mirage are/were AVI owned I think; AVI is now owned by Klipsch hence the preceeding are no longer Canadian in any respect. Oh, well.

I've recently heard critizism of Paradigm products that they don't have the finish of some other, compeditively priced products that are made in China. For my part, given equal audio performance, I'd prefer to buy an actual N.A. product notwithstanding less elegant finish. I'd prefer to reward, e.g. Paradigm for efficient production methods that permit them to pretty much compeditive with off-shore products.

Woochifer
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Is the Monitor line still manufactured in Canada? If so, Paradigm is hold-out in this regard. PSB, Energy, and Athena, and I sure most "Canadian" speaker makers have take the easy route and abandoned on North American manufacturing in favor of China. Paul Barton of PSB in a recent Stereophile article appeared to actually gloated about how all sourcing and manufacture for his new Imagine line is in China. North Americans only good enough to buy your stuff, eh, Paul?

[EDIT] I just remembered that Energy, Athena, and Mirage are/were AVI owned I think; AVI is now owned by Klipsch hence the preceeding are no longer Canadian in any respect. Oh, well.

I've recently heard critizism of Paradigm products that they don't have the finish of some other, compeditively priced products that are made in China. For my part, given equal audio performance, I'd prefer to buy an actual N.A. product notwithstanding less elegant finish. I'd prefer to reward, e.g. Paradigm for efficient production methods that permit them to pretty much compeditive with off-shore products.

I thought it was only specific models that were made in China. Of course, it could also be a phased in process where production shifts overseas as new models get introduced.

I think with Paradigm, it would be a wholesale abandonment of their business model to shift production to China. I believe that PSB, Energy, Mirage, et al had always outsourced their driver manufacturing, whereas Paradigm went in the opposite direction by moving all of its driver manufacturing in-house after originally sourcing all of its drivers from OEM suppliers. Their brochures cite how they make everything down the machinery and molds used in the manufacturing process. And they claim that they do this in order to maintain higher tolerances and more quickly implement changes.

Paradigm also makes its own crossovers, active amps, and cabinets as well. Only the speaker cabinets for the Signature series are outsourced to a woodworking outfit in Italy (the same company that makes the cabinets for Sonus Faber). I do recall that they began using cheaper looking finishes with some of their Studio series speakers several years ago, but if the sound quality keeps improving, then it doesn't matter to me all that much.

Last time I checked, even their matching speaker stands and AV furniture were made in Canada. It would be a much more radical change for Paradigm to move its production overseas since they are a more vertically integrated company than other speaker makers.

winston
09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
(hey woochifer..and feanor) you guys know them PARADIGM, PSB, ENERGY, history?. can you help me with energy C500? i have the old bro.the C6. about eight years runing the binding post on them broke off i take the crossover out its replaceable. that said as i read you guys input to this tread i think i may be able to get some help on the C500 audioadvisor selling them for about $600.00 per pair.do you all know them thanks in anticipation miami guy winston.

RGA
09-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't think it matters much where it is made so long as the quality control is there - some companies maintain it and some don't.

I found the series 3 and 4 to sound considerably worse than the series 2 models from Paradigm and the series 2 cost a LOT less money. The 100V2 and 40V2 stomped the two that followed it. I feel sorry for dealers who buy a speaker and get stuck with it when word comes down the pipeline that yet another version is coming - it implies the last model was in some way defective or they still have not figured out how to get it right. People like me, and there are a great many I personally know who own Paradigm feel the exact same way including 2 dealers, that the 100V2 was the best floorstander they made that the company is trying to flood the market with products continually at higher prices offering less and less quality. The perception they will create is the same one that is basically killing Musical Fidelity and having dealers drop them as fast as they can. What long term value does the customer get if they change the model faster than the warranty expires - it destroys resale value - the perception is the V2 is obsolete junk compared to a V4 - when in reality the V4 is obsolete junk and the V2 was far better sounding and much better built! - and if the new more expensive model gets made in China - well ... Mind you I don't blame them - they need to make money to keep a continual high sales count.

I have yet to heart the V5 - that's one smart thing - it's tough to keep up when you change so fast.