Paging GMichael [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paging GMichael

ForeverAutumn
08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Just a reminder to be careful of Yogi and his friends...

COQUITLAM, B.C. - Neighbours pelted rocks at a black bear as it attacked a screaming woman in her own suburban driveway Wednesday, possibly because the animal regarded her as its next meal.

"There were people who were driving by and stopped and were throwing rocks to get the bear off of her," said Sabrina Susin, a neighbour who was among those who rushed to the woman's aid.

"But the bear was still there, so they were still throwing rocks but it wouldn't go away."

One neighbour wielded a broom.

Susin said the victim was still conscious and lucid after the attack.

"She knew what was happening. When it started coming at her again, she got up."

After a two-or three-minute struggle, the bear went behind the house where it was later shot and killed by police officers.

The woman, who hasn't been identified, was rushed to hospital Wednesday morning after the 250-pound black bear confronted her while she was gardening in her yard just east of Vancouver.

She is in stable condition with serious injuries on her arms and head and with bite marks all over her body, police said.

Rick Hahn, of the B.C. Conservation Officer Service, said the area, which borders mountains and deep forest, is a natural hot spot for bears.

"It's normal bear habitat. And the problem with that residential area is that there's a lot of people who don't store their garbage properly. It draws in the bears from their natural habitat and it puts people at risk."

Hahn said the fact the woman turned and ran after seeing the bear may have prompted the attack.

"But if she faced it and stood there, that's probably a more preventive action to take."

Next-door neighbour Amy Lo said she was still asleep when she heard screams from outside the window of her second-floor bedroom.

"I looked out the window and I saw a bear on top of her," said Lo, 17. "I'm shocked. I've never seen a bear actually attacking before. Usually you just hear (of bears) in your garbage. (They) make a mess and then leave."

Hahn said attacks are extremely rare but this encounter was likely predatory - meaning the bear considered the woman to be a food source.

Cpl. Tony Farahbakhchian of the Coquitlam RCMP called the attack an isolated incident.

"Usually they're quite shy animals and if you make some noise they walk away. In a situation like that, I have no idea what took place," he said.

Conservation officers will examine the bear's carcass to try and determine what caused the attack, Farahbakhchian said.

Tony Arcari, who lives up the street from the victim, said it's not unusual to see bears in the neighbourhood.

"We haven't had any confrontations, but we do get them in the yard often, basically, eating plums off plum trees or berries out of the garden. Then they jump the fence and disappear into the forest."

Teresa Daum said she heard the screams and was about to call police when RCMP arrived.

She said she didn't see the attack, but agreed bears are common in the area, with many backyards opening up onto the woods.

"We see them all over," said Daum of the bears.

"I mean, we're the ones moving into their space."

GMichael
08-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Boo Boo hasn't been around for a while now. But our neighbor showed us pics of a few cubs that have been visiting his "fenced in" yard.
I know that you are not supposed to run from them, but when you're face to face with one it's hard not to. If my legs hadn't froze up, I'd have been at full speed in a second. Guess I was lucky that I was too scared to move.

We do keep our garbage inside. We put it out just before the garbage pick up comes by. The can has also been thoroughly dosed in fabric softener. For some reason bears equate fabric softener with "uneatable."

bobsticks
08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
...almost as ferocious as:

http://z.hubpages.com/u/108578_f520.jpg

I hear they prowl the backyards and alleys of Canadian villages and towns waiting for unsuspecting folk to move into previously empty houses so as to hide in their shoes at night.

ForeverAutumn
08-07-2008, 05:59 PM
You are such a BASTARD. I'm not opening this thread again. EVER!!!

GMichael
08-08-2008, 04:57 AM
...almost as ferocious as:

http://z.hubpages.com/u/108578_f520.jpg

I hear they prowl the backyards and alleys of Canadian villages and towns waiting for unsuspecting folk to move into previously empty houses so as to hide in their shoes at night.

That was mean.:hand:

Good job. :3:

Auricauricle
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Is that the new cable hook-up from Monster Cable??

I like it, I like it....