Batman Begins Crashing Sony BDP-S500 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Batman Begins Crashing Sony BDP-S500

thxpaul
08-06-2008, 04:19 AM
The new Batman Begins BluRay disc keeps crashing my player (SONY BDP-S500) at the exact same spot every time I attempt to watch it. It gets to a certain point, right when the black and white wavy warner screen comes up and then the player just shuts itself off and reboots. The performance of this player hasn't exactly been stellar in the 1st place, but never has a disc caused it to do this. So it seems to be some kind of incompatiblity between the software and the player.

I've already done one firmware update on the player that Sony send me on a DVD-R. But that was back in the winter months.

I suppose the next step is to contact Sony. But have any of you heard of this phenomenon before? thanks!

L.J.
08-06-2008, 07:16 AM
I did a quick google, just out of curiosity, and came across some people with the same problem. Maybe you should go to Sony's site and see if any new firmware updates have been released.

thxpaul
08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I did a quick google, just out of curiosity, and came across some people with the same problem. Maybe you should go to Sony's site and see if any new firmware updates have been released.

Just thought I'd update in case anybody else stumbles upon this same issue. Did a firmware update with a CD-R disc and it fixed the issue. :)

pixelthis
08-20-2008, 12:00 AM
my player came with that update and it fixed a lot of problems.
Never had a problem with batman begins or any other java disc.
BTW isnt it cool the way it starts? One antipiracy warning and the movie begins!
No previews
No five pages of "announcments"
Just a movie, like in vcr days.
A hoprefull sign at least:1:

thxpaul
08-20-2008, 04:16 AM
my player came with that update and it fixed a lot of problems.
Never had a problem with batman begins or any other java disc.
BTW isnt it cool the way it starts? One antipiracy warning and the movie begins!
No previews
No five pages of "announcments"
Just a movie, like in vcr days.
A hoprefull sign at least:1:

Hey yea good point. I noticed that but it didn't really register until you mentioned it!
How do you find the TrueHD soundtrack on that disc? The dialogue seems a little muddy to me...

pixelthis
08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Hey yea good point. I noticed that but it didn't really register until you mentioned it!
How do you find the TrueHD soundtrack on that disc? The dialogue seems a little muddy to me...

YOU MIGHT be having the same prob I am having, mainly that the center and sub out arent working on 5.1.
I was able to listen to perfect stranger in 5.1 truhd, but only because the dialog came through the left and right speakers.
What I have heard sounds really great, but not much better than the DD and DTS soundtracks, which, while not hi-rez do have the full frequency of those formats(around 750khz for DD and 1.5 mhz for DTS)
One happy thing, DTS is finally being utlilized for something besides
a marketing trick.
Since it has twice the bandwidth of DD a lot of new titles use DTS,
at full bitrate, giving a really great sound to those of us with "legacy"
equipment. Not true hi-rez but really good.
DD betterwatch it, DTS might become the "default" format since most cant get the "master" and lossless formats on older equipment. :1:

thxpaul
08-21-2008, 04:22 AM
YOU MIGHT be having the same prob I am having, mainly that the center and sub out arent working on 5.1.
I was able to listen to perfect stranger in 5.1 truhd, but only because the dialog came through the left and right speakers.
What I have heard sounds really great, but not much better than the DD and DTS soundtracks, which, while not hi-rez do have the full frequency of those formats(around 750khz for DD and 1.5 mhz for DTS)
One happy thing, DTS is finally being utlilized for something besides
a marketing trick.
Since it has twice the bandwidth of DD a lot of new titles use DTS,
at full bitrate, giving a really great sound to those of us with "legacy"
equipment. Not true hi-rez but really good.
DD betterwatch it, DTS might become the "default" format since most cant get the "master" and lossless formats on older equipment. :1:

What exactly isn't working for you? Where's the fault? With the player or receiver?

pixelthis
08-22-2008, 12:54 AM
THE CENTER AND SUB out on the 5.1 doesnt seem to be producing any sound, all Sony esupport was good for was telling me to "check everything"(everythings fine)
I wont miss it much, I MOSTLY PREFER THE digital out, but its just nice to have everything work.
The center and sub plugs are together so its probably a loose ground wire or something:1:

thxpaul
08-22-2008, 06:20 AM
THE CENTER AND SUB out on the 5.1 doesnt seem to be producing any sound, all Sony esupport was good for was telling me to "check everything"(everythings fine)
I wont miss it much, I MOSTLY PREFER THE digital out, but its just nice to have everything work.
The center and sub plugs are together so its probably a loose ground wire or something:1:

Hmm that sucks, can you replace it or have it serviced? I checked mine last night and when running TrueHD there's definitely dialogue coming out of the centre channel... so I really think it's just a matter of me getting used to the sound of trueHD.

The Cloverfield TrueHD track is a lot better than the Batman Begins one IMO. :)