HK or Marantz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HK or Marantz

JeffKnob
03-10-2004, 10:57 AM
I am in the market for a new receiver to replace my Pioneer VSX-D608. I have been considering a Harman Kardon or a Marantz receiver because I have heard they have better quality amplifiers than Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha. These are the models I have been thinking about:

H/K AVR-430
Marantz SR6400
H/K DPR1001

So far I have only heard the AVR-430 in the store and was very impressed. After looking at the H/K website I was intreged by the DPR1001 because of the digital amps. I plan on listening to the Marantz soon.

I would like to hear opinions on my choices.

My speakers are Paradigm Esprits, CC270, and Paradigm Focus if that helps.

Thanks

Lexmark3200
03-10-2004, 11:48 AM
I am in the market for a new receiver to replace my Pioneer VSX-D608. I have been considering a Harman Kardon or a Marantz receiver because I have heard they have better quality amplifiers than Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha. These are the models I have been thinking about:

H/K AVR-430
Marantz SR6400
H/K DPR1001

So far I have only heard the AVR-430 in the store and was very impressed. After looking at the H/K website I was intreged by the DPR1001 because of the digital amps. I plan on listening to the Marantz soon.

I would like to hear opinions on my choices.

My speakers are Paradigm Esprits, CC270, and Paradigm Focus if that helps.

Thanks

Hello Jeff,

I have the Onkyo TX SR600 at the heart of my system, and the amps seem just fine; dont forget, boosting calibration levels are going to bring amps to life, as well....proper calibration, that is. It is my belief that after researching and researching information on receivers, Denon and Onkyo made the best models at these price points -- that is, most quality for the buck. Onkyo receivers are made rock solid, with handsome ergonomics and clean all-aluminum faceplates. I recommend them.

Marantz, on the other hand, I can vouge for in their other product departments, including their CD players/changers and recorders. I have the DR700 CD recorder from Marantz, connected digitally to a Marantz CC67 five-disc changer, and both perform rather flawlessly.

spacedeckman
03-10-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm a bit iffie on Marantz at this time. They are going through some changes at this time and are kind of in a mess. I was that way with h/k, but they seem to have conquered most of the bad stuff and appear to have gotten back on track.

That said, I would avoid the digital amps at this time. Still some things to work out at lower price points. Now Linn has a pretty good one for $15K that's 500x2, Yamaha has a 500x2 for about $4500, and Bel Canto for about $2500 which is about 2x150. These are amps alone, and all three sound wonderful. Forget budget digital for a few years, it isn't there yet.

That leaves the 430, which seems like a nice piece. Add Yamaha and Denon into your choices, and go for it. Most of the dealers in my area dumped Onkyo like a hot potato a couple of years back. Now only Circuit has it, although there is one Integra dealer, but they focus on Denon.

Don't get caught up in the numbers, and be realistic about the speakers you will have over the next few years and what you will be hooking up to it.

Remember, this is all about fun.