Can someone Help me with this? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone Help me with this?

O'Shag
08-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Microsoft have done something to my computer during the update process. I can no longer access Adobe Flash player which means I can't see YouTube or other video clips for news websites. Every time I try to download the Flash player, Microspft Internet Explorer prevents me from doing so. I called up Microsoft support - which was of course outsourced to overseas - the Philipines in this case I think. I had a hard time communicating with this person. They of course milked the call so as to charge Microsoft more, so I ended up spending a lot of time, with the end result that I got nowhere. Whats up with Microsoft doing this sort of stoopid stuff? No wonder Apple is making such huge strides into their marketshare. Anyhow I really need the help of someone who knows about this. I did try going to Security settings and changing active X control settings but its just not working - please help!!!

emaidel
08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
When I had problems with my computer, resulting from responding to a pop-up stating that my system had been infected with a virus, I called The Geek Squad. I can't praise those people highly enough: not only did they walk me through every conceivable step they could to ascertain the problem, they were able to connect to my computer from their location, troubleshoot everything seemingly possible, and install a cure.

I think I paid them all of $120, but it was the best $120 I ever spent!

dingus
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
the best way to avoid this problem is to download and install the latest version of Firefox, make it your default browser and quit using IE. a completely free and complete solution.

O'Shag
08-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks Emaidel and Dingus for your input.

bobsticks
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey Shaggy, check your browser options. Under security check ya "level" sport. "High" and certain custom settings won't let you stream or download anything. Try "medium".

I've run into this issue while surfing here because the high settings give a cleaner access, less fussing about with the flash ads and junk. Then I forget I've changed it...

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey Shaggy, check your browser options. Under security check ya "level" sport. "High" and certain custom settings won't let you stream or download anything. Try "medium".

I've run into this issue while surfing here because the high settings give a cleaner access, less fussing about with the flash ads and junk. Then I forget I've changed it...

Senior momento senor??

bobsticks
08-05-2008, 05:21 PM
El Diamante del Cielo momento, mi amigo terrible.

O'Shag
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
thanks 'sticks. I have tried resetting my security levels but it doesn't work. I solved the problem though. I downloaded Safari (Apple) and it works a charm.

emesbee
08-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Microsoft software is very flakey. I had a catch-22 type problem where I couldn't apply updates through the browser, which would just hang. Also, my email wouldn't work properly. I could receive messages, but couldn't send anything larger than a few words. Tried everything I could to fix it, followed all the suggestions I could find, but nothing worked.

The saving grace, however, was that I had automatic updates enabled. For a long time that didn't seem to do anything either, but as if by magic, I suddenly found one day that it had loaded around 50 updates. Had to reboot to apply them, then tried doing updates via the browser, and suddenly it was working. A whole lot of extra updates got loaded, and another reboot, but email still didn't work.

Tried re-installing my anti-virus S/W (Norton), but that didn't make any difference. Then tried installing a freeware anti-virus program (AVG), but without un-installing Norton first. Well, that clammed my email up completely, didn't work at all (perhaps not unexpectedly). So, uninstalled AVG, and as if by magic, my email started working perfectly (with Norton still installed).

Anyway, maybe try different browsers. I reckon its worth having more than one installed on your system, as sometimes things that don't work well in one browser may be fine in another. I've installed Firefox and Opera. I mainly use Firefox for most of my browsing, but I've left IE as the default.

hermanv
08-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I use Sea Monkey, which I believe is Firefox on steroids. The name is a bit off putting. Still free though.

It lets me use Word as an editor for my emails or forum posts.