tower vs. bookshelf [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : tower vs. bookshelf

dblarano
08-04-2008, 04:24 AM
which is better ? bookshelf or tower speaker. (assuming same driver , same manufacturer)

icehockeyboy
08-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Generally the larger cabinet will have batter bass, but some argue that is at the cost of other factors.

kexodusc
08-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Which is better? Neither. Both. Depends on what you're looking for, what your budget is, etc.

If money is no object, I'd probably always choose the more expensive tower. Most mid-level speaker companies offer "tower versions" of their bookshelf models - they afford you more bass, sometimes better efficiency if they're coupled with additional drivers, but that comes at the expense of a bit of imaging, something overlooked by many.

My own personal opinion, especially in the sub $3000 range, is that the tower versions of most speaker product lines are usually obscenely over priced by the manufacturer compared to their sibling bookshelf models. For the same money, I would advise people to move up a step in product lines to a better bookshelf than to buy the more expensive tower of a lower line - you will almost certainly be able to find a higher resolution speaker.

But bookshelf speakers need stands (which is a cost), might not be as efficient (requires more amplification which could be a cost) and probably won't offer bass as low, so it's a trade off.

Know what you want and choose accordingly.

markw
08-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Are you really planning on putting these or mount them on a stand, thereby making it a "stand-mounted" speaker. Big difference.

But, given the choice, particularly when dealing with the same manufacturer/line, I'd go for the floorstander any day.

Why? Assuming the same manufacturer/line, they will be the pretty much the same width so dispersion should be minimally affected but, due to the larger overall enclosure, the bass should be somewhat enhanced. That, and you save the bucks that you will have to spend for speaker stands.

Ajani
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Both Kex and Markw make good points...

I'm a floorstander fan all the way... really because bookshelfs lack bass (no jokes please) and the stands are both ugly and a waste of money IMO... for many speakers under $3K... the towers don't cost much more than the Bookshelf and matching stands...

However, I should point out that not all speakers in a manufacturer's line are up to the same performance standards... For some Brands, the bookshelf model is far better than the tower version(s)... with others, the reverse is true.... I suspect it depends on whether the manufacturer initially designed a bookshelf and then added more drivers to make a Tower version or made a Tower and cut it in half (or quarter) to make a bookshelf... So you can't just assume that if you like a Tower in a particular line that you will also like the bookshelf (minus the bass) or vice versa...

GMichael
08-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Too many variables left out to get a definitive response. If you already have mega amps, then the towers would be a no-brainier. But if you are using an entry level receiver and already have a powered sub, then the bookshelves are the way to go.
Towers will take more power, but will sound better if you have the juice.
Bookshelves can be a more efficient use of your money if you don't have the power to drive huge towers. But you'll probably want a sub, depending on what you are using your system for. All music? All HT. 50/50 of each? Big room? Small room? You like it loud? Rock music or classical, or jazz? Budget? Brands you like? Receiver you have?
Give us more to work with and we'll be able to help more.

Warning! Even with all the info, not everyone will agree on one or the other.

filecat13
08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
which is better ? bookshelf or tower speaker. (assuming same driver , same manufacturer)

Limited by your premise, let's take a three-way system that consists of an 8" woofer, a 4" midrange, and a 1" tweeter.

A currently available bookshelf has these three drivers in a 2-1 mirrored set for $650 a pair. By 2-1, I mean the tweeter and midrange are mounted one above the other on one side of the front baffle and the woofer next to them

Often in a tower version, you'll see an additional woofer of the same size, though not always. All of the drivers will be inline, that is tweeter on top, then midrange, then woofer(s) all down the center of the front baffle. The tower equivalent of the above three-way bookshelf (with a second woofer) costs $1200 a pair.

No matter how I look at it, the tower is not worth twice as much, even with the extra woofer. Plus it takes up more space, is harder to place, and totally interferes with the feng shui of the room, unless it's a room dedicated to sound.

Now when you start spending serious coin, then towers will become the de facto choice. But in many consumer situations, bookshelves represent better value and better performance on the dollar.

kexodusc has an excellent observation about the bookshelf of the next highest line being a great alternative to the tower of the line below it.

dblarano
08-05-2008, 02:28 AM
TNX for your opinions

kexodusc
08-05-2008, 03:46 AM
I might be a bit late, but I would point out as well that a great many tower speaker cabinets (again I'll pick below $3000) are not terribly well constructed. I'll pick on speakers I've owned - Paradigma and PSB, but I could apply it to Polk and B&W too. Not Dynaudio, but they've got their own flaws.
Anyway, the cabinets are generally 1/2" or thinner particle board, not MDF (that'd be an upgrade). As you get above $1000 MDF startst to creep in, but it's still usually only 5/8". Bracing is almost non existant. Truth be told the bookshelfs are just as poorly constructed - BUT - a much smaller cabinet leaves renders thesee weaknesses less detrimental - so you don't hear as much cabinet resonance, you will still notice poorer imaging (the vertical dispersion is very important in a traditional tweeter/woofer + alignment for both FR and stereo imaging) and a lot more bass and sensistivity. Tradeoffs of a sort - I think the tower is a bit better overall of course. But we shouldn't compare the cheaper bookshelf to the more expensive tower. Compare a similarly priced bookshelf to the tower. Then all bets are off and the tower is almost certainly out performed.

Oh, and funny thing happens as the budget increases - the cost of stands becomes less and less of an issue. Still, as your budget increases, a lot of the flaws in towers become addressed - eventually you'll find a tower to be a bigger better version of the bookshelf. I don't think they're a fair value usually but I blame that on the need for an industry pricing model.

Ajani
08-05-2008, 05:05 AM
I think the best way to sum up the differences between Bookshelfs and Towers is "Personal Preference". I know people who swear by Bookshelf/Sub combos and others like myself who have never heard a B/S Combo they like...

I remember auditioning Revel's Concerta and Perfoma lines with a friend... He was totally impressed with the Bookshelf in the Performa Line (which was on sale for the same price as the Floorstander from the Concerta Line)... On the other hand, I thought the Bookshelf was a total waste of money, as I much preferred the sound the Concerta Floorstander... In multiple speaker auditions including B&W and Totem, my friend consistently preferred Bookshelfs and I preferred the Towers.

So if you're really trying to decide between buying a bookshelf or a sub, ignore all the "theory" and listen for yourself (This motto applies to all of audio, IMO)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I think the best way to sum up the differences between Bookshelfs and Towers is "Personal Preference". I know people who swear by Bookshelf/Sub combos and others like myself who have never heard a B/S Combo they like...

I remember auditioning Revel's Concerta and Perfoma lines with a friend... He was totally impressed with the Bookshelf in the Performa Line (which was on sale for the same price as the Floorstander from the Concerta Line)... On the other hand, I thought the Bookshelf was a total waste of money, as I much preferred the sound the Concerta Floorstander... In multiple speaker auditions including B&W and Totem, my friend consistently preferred Bookshelfs and I preferred the Towers.

So if you're really trying to decide between buying a bookshelf or a sub, ignore all the "theory" and listen for yourself (This motto applies to all of audio, IMO)

Word on the Concerta. I loved them so much I got three towers and four bookshelf speakers for the family house theater last year. Money well spent!

Ajani
08-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Word on the Concerta. I loved them so much I got three towers and four bookshelf speakers for the family house theater last year. Money well spent!

Based on my auditions, I'd expect it to be money very well spent... especially since you're someone who values performance 100%, with not too much regard for aesthetics.... I was really impressed with the Concertas, but I think if Revel really wants to capture the market, they'll need to put some more effort on styling in the next round...