Rave Blu-ray Recording [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rave Blu-ray Recording

Mr Peabody
08-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Legends of Jazz, I first got a look and listen of a couple performances of this disc while at the local audio shop. I ordered one off Amazon, I think around $15.00. This has 13 performances from the likes of Ramsey Lewis, Chic Corea, Marcus Miller, David Sanborn, Robert Cray, Lee Ritenour and others. This has a 5.1 Tru-HD mix that really is impressive. For the most part the MC mix is done well, in my opinion. On a couple tracks I feel the drum rolls were heard in the rear a little too much but other than that it could fool you into believing you were at a live show. The music was in front, clapping was mostly from the rears, the rears were used for ambience, I have to admit this was one time I enjoyed MC music. The sound quality of the Tru-HD was so good I could sit back and get into it. I mean DVD was alright but it always had an artificial sound to music and I can't listen to the satelite music stations for real listening, maybe background. But some of these BR discs I could see actually wanting to put on for a listen. This Legends of Jazz is a must for the music lover with a Blu-ray player. There are more titles in this series on DVD for those less critical. So far I think this is the only one on BR but we can hope for more. The styles vary as the performers but all are spectacular. I believe I also saw an uncompressed PCM 2-channel mix. I didn't listen to that yet, I was pretty surprised and taken in by the 5.1 track.

As a side note, I am using a MC analog connection and my BR player for some stupid reason don't have speaker level adjustment. My rears aren't far off but I feel a tad louder than when I use digital inputs that allow a proper set up. This could account for the thing I heard with the drums. I'm looking forward to hearing this some day on my new processor.

Mr Peabody
08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I didn't mention but in case any one is wondering the performances include video as well as the audio. I'm excited about being able to get high quality sound with concert/music videos.

Mr Peabody
08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Gee.. P, you must have put this in the wrong forum

kexodusc
08-06-2008, 07:40 AM
As a side note, I am using a MC analog connection and my BR player for some stupid reason don't have speaker level adjustment. My rears aren't far off but I feel a tad louder than when I use digital inputs that allow a proper set up. This could account for the thing I heard with the drums. I'm looking forward to hearing this some day on my new processor.
Hmm, even when using MC analog, most receivers and pre-pros I've seen still can apply level/distance processing or bypass it now. In my own experience, I've found getting those settings right far outweighs any benefits heard by keeping the signal unprocessed and pure. Can't say it's that way for every model though.

I'm a big fan of MC Audio and Jazz, so this is going to be right up my alley. I probably never would have heard about it if you didn't mention it. It'll be one of the very first BluRays I buy.

Glad you enjoyed it. I know it's not for everyone and some people will never get used to MC, but I find MC audio to be so much more lifelike and real sounding than stereo when done properly. Symbals in the rear can drive you nuts sometimes, but for the most part I find MC audio is getting away from that gimmicky stuff and using to reproduce far superior imaging and soundstage instead of moving the soundstage. I've heard a lot of early stereo recordings too, and I see some parallels here - early stereo had a lot of cheesy a/b channel and echo effects just to show off the capability of stereo, but they inadvertently hurt the music's presentation. I've found a lot of earlier MC audio tracks did the same thing. Mostly on DVD-A, though there are some SACD's that are guilty.

Rich-n-Texas
08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
I've looked over some of the Legends of Jazz series DVD's at Amazon but nothing I read told me there were Dolby Tru-HD tracks. I agree, good find Mr. P. I have a Chic Corea CD and a "This is Jazz - Weather Report" CD so this one could be a good addition to my measly little jazz collection, especially since it's got a 5.1 lossless format. I also agree that MC is a much more immersive experience than two channel, but I don't want to start anything. :nonod:

Gee.. P, you must have put this in the wrong forum
Ya think the word "JAZZ" might be the giveaway here? :smilewinkgrin:
Whenever I have anything to talk about that's MC related I'll post it in the Home Theater section.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

bobsticks
08-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I have multiple works by every artist that you mentioned, so I imagine that it would earn some bonus points from me. I've also enjoyed multi-channel music for some time. Done right it can be chillingly good. So there's that too.

Like Rich, I was concerned with starting that old chestnut, "Laser-totin' Lizards vs. The Good Ol' Days"...

kexodusc
08-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Mr. P wasn't flame baiting the MC vs stereo argument I don't think...I just sorta went there because I know Mr. P's discriminating tastes mean this MC disc must be quite good indeed.

And 2 bonus points for Kex for using the word "indeed" twice without looking like a poindexter.

bobsticks
08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Mr. P wasn't flame baiting the MC vs stereo argument I don't think...I just sorta went there because I know Mr. P's discriminating tastes mean this MC disc must be quite good indeed.

And 2 bonus points for Kex for using the word "indeed" twice without looking like a poindexter.

I didn't think that was his intention but ya never know what's gonna happen around here at the O.K. Corral.

Rich-n-Texas
08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
I didn't think that was his intention but ya never know what's gonna happen around here at the O.K. Corral.
Wasn't my intention either and my remark was with tongue-in-cheek. :cornut:

I'm going over to Amazon and add that BD to my basket right now.

Mr Peabody
08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
What prompted me to post was the fact that I had the mind set that MC was not for serious music listeners and pretty much a gimmick. This disc showed me MC can be done right. If it had cymbals in the rear or any other instrument I wouldn't have posted. The sound is mixed as if the listener is in the audience.

This one is the only title I saw on Blu-ray and only Blu-ray would have Tru-HD. I find even in movies Amazon don't list all the audio options. Unless my disc is unique, trust me Tru-HD is on the Blu-ray version. I still intend to check out the 2 channel PCM uncompressed just to see. I just haven't had the time yet.

* I should have my Marantz this weekend. It's at the store waiting. It may take a while to get it up and running though.

Rich-n-Texas
08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
What prompted me to post was the fact that I had the mind set that MC was not for serious music listeners and pretty much a gimmick. This disc showed me MC can be done right. If it had cymbals in the rear or any other instrument I wouldn't have posted. The sound is mixed as if the listener is in the audience.
Got my copy in the mail from Amazon today, played it in my PS3 via HDMI to my receiver and HDTV and the SQ was outta this world! Another case where a lossless format is very forgiving of the room environment as the bass guitars and drums were satisfactory at my listening position. PQ? Phenominal! This BD as expected blows away all of my concert DVD's by a mile. The detail and razor sharp contrast were all there on this disk, which makes me want to do back flips when I think about the cash I spent to get to this level. Big atta boy to you for finding this one mister! :thumbsup:

Let's get to the heart of the matter... the artists. My favorite track was "12 Year Old Boy" by Robert Cray & Keb' Mo'. I'm familiar with Robert Cray's guitar work; don't know who Keb' is, but the song came across to me as a *Blues in a Jazz state-of-mind* concoction. The perfect combination for me as I'm big into Blues. I can envision more Robert Cray in my media rack going forward.

On the flip side, the track I'd consider disappointing was the song "The Panther" which included George Duke. Years ago I purchased a Gateway computer which included a CD sampler, and George Duke's "Love Theme (Movement 6)" was on it. A beautiful piano led Smooth Jazz track which has stayed with me over the years since my first listen. "The Panther" track just didn't emphasize George's talents as a first class piano player IMO.

Nevertheless, this BD is a great vehicle for people like myself to get turned onto the styles that make Jazz such a versatile class of music.

This one is the only title I saw on Blu-ray and only Blu-ray would have Tru-HD. I find even in movies Amazon don't list all the audio options. Unless my disc is unique, trust me Tru-HD is on the Blu-ray version. I still intend to check out the 2 channel PCM uncompressed just to see. I just haven't had the time yet.
Yes, this BD has the Dolby Tru-HD lossless audio format. In a 5.1 system this format needs to be heard to be believed! :yesnod:

* I should have my Marantz this weekend. It's at the store waiting. It may take a while to get it up and running though.
"Weeeellllll, we're waiting." :smilewinkgrin:

Mr Peabody
08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Hope I'm getting some fresh chicklets :)

Robert Cray is good. My favorite is probably Marcus Miller. Here's one for you to listen for, on the Dave Valentin track, toward the end when he starts getting crazy with the flute, at one point he sort of pops his mouth and the echo goes from left rear to right rear, see if you notice that.

I posted a bit of impression on the AV8003 on "seen/heard the av8003" thread. I have had a lot going on and still need some listening and tweaking time. I want to figure out the Audessey and give that set up a try as well.

Rich-n-Texas
08-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Hope I'm getting some fresh chicklets :)
Done, but from here on out I'll be acknowledging the good people here do in public. The chicklett deal no longer has any entertainment value for me. Lots of people talking out both sides of their mouths about that game.

...Here's one for you to listen for, on the Dave Valentin track, toward the end when he starts getting crazy with the flute, at one point he sort of pops his mouth and the echo goes from left rear to right rear, see if you notice that.
I know exactly which track you're talking about. I watched the mouth pop Dave did at the conclusion of his song but wasn't paying attention to the sound stage.

I posted a bit of impression on the AV8003 on "seen/heard the av8003" thread. I have had a lot going on and still need some listening and tweaking time. I want to figure out the Audessey and give that set up a try as well.
Have fun. Even though the Audyssey EQ is ranked best for what it does, most here (including me) have only used auto-EQ'ing to get them into the ballpark. An SPL meter and your ears, you'll find, are the best method.

Mr Peabody
08-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Done, but from here on out I'll be acknowledging the good people here do in public. The chicklett deal no longer has any entertainment value for me. Lots of people talking out both sides of their mouths about that game.

* Oh yeah.... you can say that now that you have about a billion. You just don't want anyone to catch up

I know exactly which track you're talking about. I watched the mouth pop Dave did at the conclusion of his song but wasn't paying attention to the sound stage.

Have fun. Even though the Audyssey EQ is ranked best for what it does, most here (including me) have only used auto-EQ'ing to get them into the ballpark. An SPL meter and your ears, you'll find, are the best method.

* I did set it up by ear but curiosity will have me do the Audyssey at least once to see what it's about. When you think about what it's supposed to do, that's a big job, and to do it within the price range of a receiver leaves one skeptical. This AV8003 not only has Audyssey but it also has some kind of THX EQ and some other EQ stuff.

Rich-n-Texas
08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Oh yeah.... you can say that now that you have about a billion. You just don't want anyone to catch up
:lol: Trust me Mr. P, what started out as fun and games has become serious business. Again, when someone provides benefit to everyone here, acknowledging it publicly means much more than seeing green squares under a person's ID. I'll bet half the people in RR don't even know or care what that's for anyway.

* I did set it up by ear but curiosity will have me do the Audyssey at least once to see what it's about. When you think about what it's supposed to do, that's a big job, and to do it within the price range of a receiver leaves one skeptical. This AV8003 not only has Audyssey but it also has some kind of THX EQ and some other EQ stuff.
Agreed. Auto-EQ makes settings that I'd be overly cautious about attempting on my own.

Woochifer
08-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a great find. Since Dolby TruHD is a lossless format, one would expect outstanding audio quality if the transfer and mix are done well.

Agree with Kex, multichannel can be an incredibly immersive experience if the mix is done well. The comparison to early stereo recordings is very valid. Although you don't have the same excesses that a lot of early stereo recordings went to (i.e., not much in the way of annoying panning shifts and bouncing sounds around from one channel to the next), but some multichannel mixes have done the same kind of extreme segregation of instrumentation into discrete channels. Fortunately, the newer mixes now aim for more of a balanced approach that better distributes the instrumentation between different channels.

Sound engineers also seem to agree more and more on how to best utilize the center speaker -- don't use it too much on music mixes. Some early multichannel music mixes I recall steering a lot of the sounds into the center channel, much like you hear with movies. There was a lot of debate about this, with some companies like Chesky arguing that the center channel should not be used at all with multichannel music mixes because it reduces the spatiality. With more of the recent releases, I've noticed lower levels used in the center channel.

But, I think another contributory factor in improved audio quality is the fact that a lot of multichannel mixes go all the way back to the original multitrack masters. This provides an opportunity to eliminate a lot of the excessive processing that the original two-channel mix might have used and/or do the new mix using much better equipment than the original mix (analog recorders added noise and signal loss with each successive mixdown).

With Blu-ray, this is really the first opportunity to merge video images with studio-quality audio tracks. With jazz and classical in particular, I see a lot of potential activity with the Blu-ray format.