LG Blu-ray player streams Netflix. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LG Blu-ray player streams Netflix.

Smokey
08-03-2008, 12:28 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/31/technology/LGnetflix.531.jpg

On Thursday, LG Electronics launched the LG BD300 Network Blu-ray Disc player (due this fall for an under $500 retail price), a DVD player that will play both Blu-ray and standard definition discs. As a bonus, the player will also allow consumers to instantly stream any of the 12,000 movies and TV episodes available to Netflix subscribers.

With a wired broadband connection, Netflix members can access their account information and "Queue" via the BD300. Once there, customers can browse movie selections, read synopses, and rate movies. They will also be able to pause, fast forward, and rewind their film choices with the BD300's remote control.

Over time, LG expects to add links to other Internet video providers, like those that offer pay-per-view movies. New services could be added to existing Blu-ray players through a software upgrade, Mr. Jason said.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/31/technology/LGnetflix2.531.jpg
The BD300's home screen lets you access Netflix movies, DVD/Blu-ray discs, and digital music and photos.(Credit: LG)

Ajani
08-03-2008, 04:34 AM
LG is hedging their bets... Smart move.... produce players capable of handling both discs and downloads... I'm sure we'll see more products like this coming out soon....

Smokey
08-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree, that is a smart move. Be able to watch streaming movie without a PC is a new concept. The only bottle neck I see in this concept (at least in US) probably will be the internet connection where high bandwidth is spotty at times.

Rich-n-Texas
08-03-2008, 03:04 PM
...And I foresee this player as being the first one to break. :sosp:

Smokey
08-03-2008, 07:40 PM
...And I foresee this player as being the first one to break. :sosp:

At least wait till the reviews comes out for this player before running it down :rolleyes5:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Take a good look at this bluray player because if Toshiba has its way, this is what DVD 2.0 will look like. It will be an upconverting player with a internet connection to access both extra value content from the studios, and downloads off the net. Mark my words on this one, as they just approved the logo at the last DVD forum meeting.

Groundbeef
08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Take a good look at this bluray player because if Toshiba has its way, this is what DVD 2.0 will look like. It will be an upconverting player with a internet connection to access both extra value content from the studios, and downloads off the net. Mark my words on this one, as they just approved the logo at the last DVD forum meeting.

I'm not clear on your comments. Is this a good/bad thing?

And this Blu-Ray player is good, and it just happens to play DVD's AND access NetFlix?

I'd say thats good for consumers.

Rich-n-Texas
08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
:lol: I had the EXACT same question. DVD 2.0 = ???

And this Blu-Ray player is good, and it just happens to play DVD's AND access NetFlix?

Yeah, me too. :yesnod:

Rich-n-Texas
08-05-2008, 10:53 AM
At least wait till the reviews comes out for this player before running it down :rolleyes5:
I wonder how well that (at the time) be all - end all LG Blu-ray/HD DVD player is selling these days?

08-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Not bad or good, just an observation. But now that you mention it, on DVD 2.0 IMO its a waste of money. Its a waste of money to try and revive something who's life has run its course. As far as Netflix and a bluray player, we'll see. It may be a benefit, or folks may dislike the quality of the download when compared to the bluray option. I have seen what Netflix download looks like on my display, and all I can say is no thanks. It doesn't even look as good as DVD.

08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I wonder how well that (at the time) be all - end all LG Blu-ray/HD DVD player is selling these days?

Most accounts have it not doing well at all. The prices of them went sky high as everyone that bought heavily into HD DVD are trying to protect their investment in HD DVD while adopting into bluray. I heard the players are VERY buggy, and are basically a mess in trying to get firmware updates to work properly.

Woochifer
08-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Most accounts have it not doing well at all. The prices of them went sky high as everyone that bought heavily into HD DVD are trying to protect their investment in HD DVD while adopting into bluray. I heard the players are VERY buggy, and are basically a mess in trying to get firmware updates to work properly.

The other issue is that the combo drive does not follow HD-DVD specs and will always have some compatibility issues. It wears a Blu-ray label, but does not have a HD-DVD logo. Never understood why anyone would buy one of these combo players when it was so much cheaper just to go with separate Blu-ray and HD-DVD players -- especially now with the HD-DVD Xbox add-on drive selling for $40 and HD-DVD movies getting cleared out of places like Fry's for $10 a piece.

Smokey
08-05-2008, 07:29 PM
It may be a benefit, or folks may dislike the quality of the download when compared to the bluray option. I have seen what Netflix download looks like on my display, and all I can say is no thanks. It doesn't even look as good as DVD.

Hey Sir TT

I really think it probably will be a long time before download movie come close to Bluray movies in term of picture quality. In term of streaming, high quality HD movies will require a mega bandwidth which most ISP are reluctant to provide.

For example, Comcast as leading provider of broadband service in US is already in hot water with FCC over bottle necking their bandwidth with their customers. I have DSL and suppose to have 1.5 mbps connection and any time I test my bandwidth capability, it never exceed 800 kbps.

Here you can test your ISP bandwidth: Bandwidth Meter speed test (http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html?hhTest=1)

Rich-n-Texas
08-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Hey Sir TT

I really think it probably will be a long time before download movie come close to Bluray movies in term of picture quality. In term of streaming, high quality HD movies will require a mega bandwidth which most ISP are reluctant to provide.
According to Dishnet, you can now watch their VOD movies @ 1080p. Yeah, okay. Compressed as all get-out. :rolleyes: The satellite provider advertising wars are really heating up! I guess after years of unkept promises about more HD channels they're finally delivering. Too little too late from where I stand.

For example, Comcast as leading provider of broadband service in US is already in hot water with FCC over bottle necking their bandwidth with their customers. I have DSL and suppose to have 1.5 mbps connection and any time I test my bandwidth capability, it never exceed 800 kbps.
Doesn't surprise me a bit about Comcast and their greed mongering. They'll get away with as much as they can until regulators catch up with their tricks.

I have FIOS Fiber To The Premesis (FTTP) and I consistenly test at or over my 1.5Mbps d/l speed. FIOS, with all their quirks was clearly the choice for me when my D*TV contract ended. I'm paying for that 1.5 speed, but the few VOD movies I've watched (not HD, they cost more) played without a hitch.

nightflier
08-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I have FIOS Fiber To The Premesis (FTTP) and I consistenly test at or over my 1.5Mbps d/l speed. FIOS, with all their quirks was clearly the choice for me when my D*TV contract ended. I'm paying for that 1.5 speed, but the few VOD movies I've watched (not HD, they cost more) played without a hitch.

Can I ask how much you're paying for this? 1.5 is T1 speed and I've been thinking of making the jump to Fiber because of the price, but it's not available in my neighborhood yet.

Regarding downloads, I tend to think that the bandwidth issues can be overcome. Using technology like bit-torrent and cuing up movies for after-hours downloads is the ideal solution here. We're already familiar with the concept of doing this with NetFlix & Blockbuster, except now there won't be any disks to send back. If you ask me, the stick in the mud is the studios. They don't understand the technology, can't figure out how to make enough money off of it, and they are afraid of it.