Lost Metropolis footage found. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lost Metropolis footage found.

Smokey
08-01-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.thereeler.com/images/metropolis_365.jpg

A print of Fritz Lang's Metropolis has been found that includes almost a quarter of the silent film which was thought to have been lost.

After being edited out and, it was thought, lost in 1927, the missing scenes were found on three reels uncovered at a small cinema museum in the Argentinian capital, Buenos Aires, earlier this year. They were flown to Berlin this week and have now been authenticated by film historians.

Yesterday, Anke Wilkening, one of the team of historians, said all but one scene of the full version, last viewed in May 1927, had been rediscovered. "Almost everything that had been missing has been found, including two key scenes," she said.

Rainer Rother, another historian, said the discovery of the material, although not in perfect condition, meant that Germany's most significant and expensive silent film could be "seen through new eyes". Until now, Metropolis screenings had come with the warning: "More than a quarter of the film is believed to be lost forever."

The new scenes will be included in upcoming blu-ray/dvd release of the film.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/missing-reels-from-langs-metropolis-discovered-860006.html

Worf101
08-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Absolutely great effin news. Best I had all weekend.

Da Worfster

Smokey
08-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I wonder how this movie will look on high resolution blu-ray format with added new footage, and what speed frame rate.

Alot of viewers complained that at 24 fps which Kino restored dvd was released on 2003, was too fast. Water and fire move much too quickly and in some shots that were originally undercranked to make the action faster than normal, the characters now zip about like fireflies.

Or False Maria's erotic dance, at 24 fps looks like a Betty Boop cartoon. The correct speed frame seem to be at 20 fps. Guess have to wait and see.

3-LockBox
08-06-2008, 03:24 PM
This a movie I've always intended to see but never have. There is bits a pieces of it all over YouTube, cut and pasted to music, but I hope to see the whole thing in one shot. What I have seen is spectacular. The opening scene has been aped so many times. The shift change in Joe Vs The Volcano, the video for PF Another Brick In The Wall video. The movie Brazil borrows mightily as well.

Rich-n-Texas
08-06-2008, 04:14 PM
What da hell you people talkin' abouit??? :nonod:

Smokey
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
What da hell you people talkin' abouit???:nonod:

If you didn't hang around PS3 thread so much, you would know :yesnod:

The opening scene has been aped so many times. The shift change in Joe Vs The Volcano, the video for PF Another Brick In The Wall video. The movie Brazil borrows mightily as well.

Not to mention Star Wars movies or Bade Runner. The city sequences with over head busy on going traffic (especially in Attack of the Clones) borrow heavily from that movie.

http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_1_6_2004_05_26_09/MegaCity1Preview2.jpg4f2ad324-685b-432e-bf64-644c9f9024e4.jpgLarge.jpg

3-LockBox
08-07-2008, 04:25 AM
German expressionism fascinates me.

ForeverAutumn
08-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Oh, I thought that this was a thread about Lost.

:(

(teeheeheehee)

Smokey
08-12-2008, 02:49 AM
Oh, I thought that this was a thread about Lost.

:(

(teeheeheehee)

Yes it is. The German version :D

ForeverAutumn
08-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Actually, it's been many, many, many years since I've seen this movie but I remember being fascinated by it at one time. I'm very interested in seeing the new release with the additional footage.