Holy Roller Novocaine and a new season of The Shield [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Holy Roller Novocaine and a new season of The Shield

Davey
03-10-2004, 08:56 AM
What a great TV show. Finally the new season of The Shield started last night and it looks to be a great one. Lots of plot lines moving on crash courses. Lots of tension. Lots of fine acting. Always a fast and fun ride. Lots of times the season opener can get kind of messy trying to resolve all the many plot lines left over from the previous season, but this one hit the ground running and seemed to pick up without a big gap in the action. But the key was that it did incorporate a small time gap in the offseason so it didn't have to waste time and slow the pace cleaning up leftovers from last season - instead just showing the viewer how things are now and letting you fill in some of the missing pieces.

Anyway, good show. Closing scene puts Vic on a very dangerous path by removing $100K from the huge stash his strike force stole from an Armenian "money train" at the end of last season and has Holy Roller Novocaine by Kings of Leon playing. Pretty cool song http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jim Clark
03-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but got it on tivo. Well actually it's on VHS since I don't have a tivo but I'm trying to hide how far behind the times I am.

jc

Whooptee
03-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but got it on tivo. Well actually it's on VHS since I don't have a tivo but I'm trying to hide how far behind the times I am.
I don't have Tivo either. Heck, I don't even have cable or satellite. I'm on plain old broadcast TV. Talk about behind the times.

I haven't seen the Shield since Season 1 and I've never heard the Kings of Leon, though I'm pretty sure they're a group I would like.

John

Davey
03-10-2004, 12:07 PM
... and I've never heard the Kings of Leon, though I'm pretty sure they're a group I would like.

John
I've only heard about three songs I think. One on Mike's year end comp, one on nobody's and the one on The Shield (which I looked up on the net after hearing it by plugging in a few lyrics, although the word novocaine was about all I got right). The one on Mike's comp left the best impression with me. It's called Happy Alone. It does sound like a fun band, although a little might go a long way with me :)

MindGoneHaywire
03-10-2004, 05:55 PM
I discovered the Shield a year or so ago & I think it's just about the best television show I've ever seen, if not the best. I gave up on prime-time around 1981 & it's nice to see something that I can actually sit through. The storylines towards the end of last season were probably the best I've ever seen, at least on a crime drama. Holy Roller Novocaine was a nice touch...they used a Magnetic Fields song to great effect, also, in the first season, I think. I still can't deal with broadcast television, and I think the Sopranos (which I only saw the first season of) was & is rather overrated...not so Six Feet Under, but that's HBO, which I don't get. But considering that even basic cable still has limits that fall short of what you can do on HBO...there's nothing gratuitous going on here, unlike everything they seem to try to squeeze in on broadcast television just because they can, in lieu of good writing. I recommend this show to any adult who wants an entertaining hour of violent drama. Especially considering there's no pro wrestling on on Tuesday nights.