Fleet Foxes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Foxes

Van Occupanther
07-29-2008, 07:05 PM
You in the pacific north west are so lucky to have such ecclectic talent. I love the Fleet Foxes new album...they sound like such old souls, like my favorite band Midlake, but are yet young. They wear there love for classic rock on there sleeves, but bring such a respect for it to bare. They do not sound like a tribute or retro band, but they pay homage to bands like CSN&Y and perhaps a bit of Neil Young. There song White Winter Hymnal sounds like it could be a song off an old Brewer & Shipley album.

Do any of you here like this band?

3-LockBox
07-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Hell, I shoulda sold you my Moonsafari CD, if you like those kinda vox.

I've only heard the one Winter Hymnal song, and it came across as a tad too...precious. I don't know if the entire album is like that or not, but I wasn't going to jump on it after hearing just one song from it.

Since I haven't heard the entire album I don't connect with the comparisons, only to say that The Trials Of Van Occupanther is very different from other Midlake albums, so it depends on which album you're comparing...I'll take it that your're referring to TTVO.

jasn
07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
I've sampled FF's latest twice already and still can't get into the vocals. I'm sure I'll try it again, but I've not been in a mood to add to my collection only to let things go unplayed.

Was this a grower, or did you like it right away?

jonnyhambone
07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I wanted to see them live but it sold out here right away. I want to like them but haven't been swept away yet...seems like seeing them live with weird medieval instruments and what are some very gorgeous harmonies would be the way to go. I keep thinkin' I'll get the vinyl which has their ep and a dig. download inc. In the meantime, check out the Daytrotter Sess. if you haven't heard it yet:

http://www.daytrotter.com/article/1245/fleet-foxes

If you haven't heard the new Shearwater, check that out too. It's Very Midlake-y on a couple tunes and is a hellluva spin. and there's this...

http://www.daytrotter.com/article/421/free-songs-shearwater

3-LockBox
07-31-2008, 04:21 AM
Fleet Foxes get a lot of hype up here. One Seattle paper called their album the 'Album Of The Year', but I read stuff like that and think its a trifle bit of home cooking. I'll have to check it out. With all the comparisons to older acts like CSN&Y and Beach Boys, I can't help but hear My Morning Jacket on the one or two reverb drenched songs I've heard from FF.

I don't know if I like the new Shearwater as much as Palo Santo, but maybe I'll give it another spin. It just didn't grab me for some reason.

I'm still trying to digest the Langhorn Slim CD, which didn't grab me right out of the box either.

MindGoneHaywire
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
They could tone down the James Brown influence just a bit...naw, I think they're good, it's just a bit much of one type of thing. Of course I'm a huge Beach Boys fan but when it comes to stuff that evokes BW in one way or another, this is fine...but the Wondermints are much, much better. But hell, there's a heck of a lot worse out there these days, now, isn't there.