inwall/ bookshelf/ floorstanding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : inwall/ bookshelf/ floorstanding

Andante
11-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Just bought a house with 5 of those bose dual-cubes hanging on the wall in the living room. I planned to remove one, and use the other four for surround side and rears (7.1). Currently I have some Snell K/IIs that I could use for my left and right fronts. I have no floor standers other than my old QUAD ESL's, and they are not very home theater friendly. My question to the forum is whether to get another snell K and use it as a center channel, or whether to get three new speakers for the front. Of course my wife would prefer in-wall speakers. She tolerates the quads because they look funky enough for her. I plan on getting a tube subwoofer (like a Hsu) if I end up using limited range speakers like Snell K's or in-walls. I have not bought an amp yet, so power is not an issue.

poneal
11-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Having been in a similar situation, I can honestly say that the front mains and center should all be from the same manufacturer. I had an old Bose center with Infinity mains. The center sucked bad and the tone/timbre did not match the Infinities. I bought an Infinity center to match the mains and am happy now. If I were you I would try to get a Snell CC1. That should match your mains pretty well. Then use the Bose for surrounds and backs like you previously posted.

sokelly
11-21-2003, 06:49 PM
I am a big fan of making sure the timbre matches and would stick to all the same brand. I have mixed bose with polk audio before and it sounds ok, but not as good as if I had all one brand (and I would take the polks over bose)

I am also a big fan of inwalls. There are plenty of options that still give you decent bass in the fronts and if you are hooking up a powered sub you should be fine. I like the look and lack of clutter of in walls.

Grandpaw
11-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Just bought a house with 5 of those bose dual-cubes hanging on the wall in the living room. I planned to remove one, and use the other four for surround side and rears (7.1). Currently I have some Snell K/IIs that I could use for my left and right fronts. I have no floor standers other than my old QUAD ESL's, and they are not very home theater friendly. My question to the forum is whether to get another snell K and use it as a center channel, or whether to get three new speakers for the front. Of course my wife would prefer in-wall speakers. She tolerates the quads because they look funky enough for her. I plan on getting a tube subwoofer (like a Hsu) if I end up using limited range speakers like Snell K's or in-walls. I have not bought an amp yet, so power is not an issue.

If you are concidering another Snell K for the center be sure and check to see if it is shielded, otherwise it will give your screen problems. :mad: