Looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 system

Cycle
07-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 system.
I'm looking to build slowly and for recommendations on componets.
I've looked at the onkyo 705 receiver and liked it quite alot, are there any similar receivers at the same price point?
As for speakers, I've seen several nice looking klipsch systems, has anyone used one of these and what are your opinions?
And does anyone have any recommendations on speakers in general. I'm looking to spend around 1000 usd total but can stretch it if necessary

Thanks

IMHOAudio
07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
O.k. Dude…. I think I can help you out. Now I didn’t hear your listening preferences (% movies vs. music), room size or styles of music you like, screen or t.v. etc.

What do you have now, to build on?

Assuming you want to go from scratch with a receiver AND speakers, this is what I’D do:
I’m partial to AV123, even for starter stuff b/c their quality and commitment to their product at this price range is unbeatable: I’d go with 5 x-cs Monitor Loudspeakers @ 89.00 / piece; add on an x-sub Subwoofer @ 219.00. Delivered that should bring you well under $700.00. Then spend the other 300.00 or so on a new Denon or Onkyo receiver with all of the newest processing (just assure that whatever rec. you buy has “pre-outs” so that you can add external power amps later as an upgrade). In fact if you call up av123 and tell them your will purchase the speaks AND the sub, they may give you and UNHEARD of deal on a Denon receiver…:3: try it out, you never know!
Now if the 1000.00 were only for the Speaks, I’d STILL either do the above system (5 x-cs), but spend the extra $ on another x-sub, (so you’d have two… makes ALL the diff. for these small systems) used Martin Logan Dynamo, or find one on sale at Magnolia… CRAZY bang for the buck there.:23:
OR I would spend a bit more (again assuming that the 1000.00 is for speaks only), and get the following form Av123: two pairs of x-mtm Tower Loudspeakers in Satin Black
(on sale for 299.00 each!!!), a x-cs Monitor for the center, and then add a x-sub. With Shipping, you’d probably go over the 1000.00 but barley and have a kick-ass system to build on!:23: :23: :23: :23:

Also, if your processor / receiver already has a decent supply of processing, why not spend a bit more when you can on better amplification if it as pre-outs? We have had GREAT experience with the Behringer a-500 products (please see my site about these… we have lots of info for newbie’s there as well); crazy amount of power for not much scratch …. But I may be getting away with myself!!!
Does any of that help??

By the way, I am NOT a shill for AV123:nono: , just speaking from my personal and business involvement with them and their products... and as always all of this is
I.M.H.O. :aureola:
-Jason

Cycle
07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Jason.

As for preferences, mostly music and particularly classical and jazz. Small room, maybe 15x15 (hardwood flooring). Using an old display but will probably upgrade to a 37 -40 in LCD.

I have a HTPC as the source with digital and analog outs, I really quite like the onkyo reciever so I'll probably end up with that.

If my preferences help to narrow down the speaker selection any, that wood be great :D

blackraven
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Check out monitor audio S1's and S2's as well as PSB Alpha B's at www.saturdayaudio.com Pair these with a decent sub and you will have a pretty nice system for under $1500. Consider the Mirage S8 sub for around $350. I use a Velodyne 8" in a 17x17 room with 9' ceilings and hardwood floors and it has plenty of teeth jarring bass.

IMHOAudio
08-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Hey Cycle;
Sorry about the delay.... lots of stuff going on with our new site... but regardless…

After seeing your preferences, I do have to admit, unless you like your Classical and jazz to have a lot of “oomph” and dynamics (something a lot of klipsch systems are great for:3: ), I would modify my original couple of selections:

AV123: I Pair x-mtm Tower Loudspeaker in Satin Black =299.00 on sale; 3 x-cs Monitor Loudspeaker in satin black (b/c the x-mtm tower is on sale only in black), 89.00 / piece = 267.00; & a Martin Logan Dynamo Sub (399-599 depending on used or not A*diogon has a couple on sale used) : so for a grand total of approx. 1065.00 or so before shipping for the AV’s. Benefits: Timber matching 5 speakers (which I find imperative, especially if you are a jazz or classical fan, who are usually, but not always, sit down and “dedicated listening people”) and a VERY MUSICAL sub. For Classical and jazz, I would prefer “musical/accurate” subs over Boom & Bam types.
Magnepan: What a great person “Blackraven” is, huh? REALLY; listen to their advice as well; I’ll tell ya why; MOST (I HATE labeling people:blush2: , but its true) Maggie users will go to the ends of the EARTH extolling the benefits of the Maggies!! :thumbsup: So good on you, ‘Raven;:thumbsup: :thumbsup: but, I’m gonna do it FOR you!!  So how about a set of floor standing MMG’s – 599.00; I pair of wall mounted MMGW – 325.00.= 924 before shipping Benefits: I.M.H.O. ANYTHING with ribbons or planers will TAINT you forever for “regular” drivers, ESPECIALLY if you are a classical or jazz fan. And these speax will get you in the door nicely with that. However, it comes at the expense of not having a sub or a center (which could be added at 299.00, but bring you over budget). If I had to choose, and wanted a sub, I would go with 2 sets of MMGW’s & the M.L. Dynamo previously mentioned …. KILLER system, neat & tidy (wall mounted speakers, tiny sub), probably easier to “drive” power-wise with your receiver, and allows you to add a center when your budget allows, or go with the first Maggie selection and then add a sub or a center when/if you think you need them. The reason I easily forgo the center OVER the sub is (if I am patronizing here, forgive me, but I don’t know your experience with ribbon/ planer speax), if your processor has the ability to create a “phantom” center (most do), because ribbons/planers can “float” musical image easily when set up properly (we have a set of Strata Mini’s in our reference room and almost everyone who hears it, asks where we have the center speaker “hidden” … true…..). The only “problem” MAY be, and Blackraven can chime in here, the MMG’s may need a bit of space out in the room to breathe.

*whew* I hope that is not TOO much info. for you:sosp: , but I hope this helps…
Please feel free to drop me a line if you have anyother q.'s!
Take great care & whatever you decide, enjoy!

blackraven
08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree with the ML dynamo sub. Its a great sub for the money at $599. As far as the MMG's go they do need to come out from the wall at least 2'-3'.

And for the record, I don't try and push Magnepans on any one. You either like the planar sound or you don't. For me, they work. I also like plenty of other speakers, especially Theils.

IMHOAudio
08-01-2008, 11:45 AM
:22: Raven... thanks for the input, I like your style! I agree ... I don't think there is any ONE speaker that is perfect for everyone...not even in pairs:rolleyes5: .
... hey come ON..... I'm out of espresso here ... gotta make a java 'run" before my staff revolt:incazzato: ! You do NOT want to be in people's way around here when the coffee runs out......:D
Cheers!

GMichael
08-01-2008, 11:56 AM
:22: Raven... thanks for the input, I like your style! I agree ... I don't think there is any ONE speaker that is perfect for everyone...not even in pairs:rolleyes5: .
... hey come ON..... I'm out of espresso here ... gotta make a java 'run" before my staff revolt:incazzato: ! You do NOT want to be in people's way around here when the coffee runs out......:D
Cheers!

You sure save me a lot of time typing sense you came along. I no longer have to suggest AV123 or Magnepans. I rarely suggest many others.
AV is running a nice sale though.
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,272/category_id,51/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/vmcchk,1/Itemid,37/

IMHOAudio
08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
You sure save me a lot of time typing sense you came along. I no longer have to suggest AV123 or Magnepans. I rarely suggest many others.
AV is running a nice sale though.
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,272/category_id,51/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/vmcchk,1/Itemid,37/
:p
Thanks dude... yeah, I saw that... that is a KILLER deal... I have no first hand experience with this new line however.......U?
...... mind you, I've never been disappointed by AV123 anyway...
Take care, GM!