Looking for a Budget 5.1 or 7.1 system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Budget 5.1 or 7.1 system

Cycle
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm looking for a budget system, so far I've looked at onkyo recievers and klipsch speakers

does anyone have anyone recommendations?

GMichael
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm looking for a budget system, so far I've looked at onkyo recievers and klipsch speakers

does anyone have anyone recommendations?

Not bad names so far, but what's your budget? There are so many choices at so many levels that there just isn't one answer fits all response we can give you. Give us your budget, the size of the room, how loud you like it, type of music you like, is this for HT, music or both?

Many people will say (and I'll agree) is that you can end up with a much better system if you piece together as you go. Meaning, get 2 speakers now with a sub and then build around them as your budget lets you.

Anyway, welcome to AR.
Enjoy the Trek.

Cycle
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the reply GMichael, I don't have an enormous budget but I can spend what it takes to get a good system over time. I'd like to start with a reciever 2 speakers and a sub. and maybe a budget of 300-500 for the reciever. 500-600 for the speakers and a few hundred for the sub.

Thanks

PDN
08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Cycle:

The Marantz SR3001 entry level A-V surround sound receiver lists at only $349.00. Can't go wrong with Marantz. Consider the B&W 685 book shelf speakers. Excellent reviews and sound. I believe they list at about $600.00/pr. I've heard them myself. Fabulous. A decent entry level subwoofer may cost you about $400.00 so save up for that. .Of course at this price and power/size level, your room should be small (say 1000-1500 ft3), Go to your local Marantz or B&W dealer (they may carry both lines) and just explain you're on a tight budget and want to purchase an entry level system. Tell them you're starting slow but you'd like to build a system over time and that you'll come back to them. Most should be more than willing to work with you but I have to warn you, some of these high end audio sales people can be snobby. Trust me. I know. I've been there but I move on and they lose. The store I patronize handles both lines and whenever I'm in there, I see them selling many of the budget end Marantz A-V receivers and B&W book shelf loudspeakers. Good movers.

I agree with GMichael. Go slow and build up. That's exactly how I did it. Now 3 years later, I feel I've built my dream system at least for the foreseeable future. But some of the components I purchased early on I've already traded back in or sold and upgraded. My system consists of Rotel, Marantz, B&W, and PS Audio with Tara Labs speaker wire and Monster interconnects. All the best.

filecat13
08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Yep, good advice. By getting some good fronts and a sub, you'll have something that can be moved to side or rear duty if you get the coin to upgrade your fronts down the road.

If you get a bunch of cheap speakers all at once, then what do you do with them when you finally can afford some good fronts and the surrounds just can't cut it?