I was just relistening to an old favorite today and... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I was just relistening to an old favorite today and...

thereyet
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Electric Lady Land was way ahead of it's time. A lot of Jimi's music was raw and rough at the time and didn't always appeal to me, but this album absolutely captured me back then and just today it still does...40 years later!

Any other's favorites that seemed ahead of their time, and have stood the test of time?

thereyet

Hyfi
07-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Any other's favorites that seemed ahead of their time, and have stood the test of time?

thereyet

LOL, most of my collection. Be careful, nobody here likes to talk about anything more than a few years old here. The few of us that have stood the test of time will have to enjoy quietly.

Check out Belly Button Window on that New Days Of The Rising Sun disk.

Mr MidFi
07-25-2008, 06:01 AM
I have a metric assload of "classic rock" and I try to keep it in rotation with the more recent and less mainstream stuff in my collection. Oddly, I've never owned Electric Ladyland...go figure.

I always feel that same way, though, whenever I listen to the first Zeppelin album. It wasn't totally original (that's for sure), nor is it their best work. But it was clear that Jimmy Page was creating a sound on that disc that would change everything from that point forward.

It's been 40 years since "Dazed and Confused" and "How Many More Times" first saw the light of day. But they still sound remarkable to me.

Swish
07-25-2008, 06:05 AM
LOL, most of my collection. Be careful, nobody here likes to talk about anything more than a few years old here. The few of us that have stood the test of time will have to enjoy quietly.

Check out Belly Button Window on that New Days Of The Rising Sun disk.

...and that knucklehead bobsticks busted my chops about it. Yeah, it's 25 years old (is that older than bobsticks?) but it's fantastic. Screw you bobsticks!

Swish - listens mostly to fresh indie music

thereyet
07-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit. They pretty much only made this one album but I loved it, every cut. I know, I am reminiscing on some druggier days, but this one stirs the memories.

thereyet

Swish
07-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit. They pretty much only made this one album but I loved it, every cut. I know, I am reminiscing on some druggier days, but this one stirs the memories.

thereyet

...I really don't think it holds up well today, which was the premise of the thread. I still like to hear it on occasion, but it sounds dated to me.

Just sayin'.

Swish

Swish
07-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Skylarking is still my favorite and I think it sounds fresh today.

Swish

Mr MidFi
07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Skylarking is still my favorite and I think it sounds fresh today.

Swish

See, I never really got why Skylarking gets as much or more love than Oranges & Lemons, Black Sea or English Settlement. But once again...that's why they sell chicken in parts, I guess.

Except "Dear God". That song is bloody brilliant.

Swish
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
See, I never really got why Skylarking gets as much or more love than Oranges & Lemons, Black Sea or English Settlement. But once again...that's why they sell chicken in parts, I guess.

...is still my favorite. What can I say? From the opening "Drowning here is summer's cauldron..." to the very ending "Reign over good, banish the bad' from Sacrificial Bonfire, this record was just amazing.

As for 'Dear God', that wasn't even on the original Skylarking release my friend. It was only included on reissues somewhere down the road after 1986. I guess that's just one more reason for you to dis this record. Ha!

Swish - getting the facts straight

emesbee
07-26-2008, 03:04 AM
It's a crying shame that Jimi Hendrix left the world when he did. I reckon there was a jazz influence in his music which could have led to some great things. What he did was pretty amazing though.

I don't really think this was ahead of its time, but Who's Next was a great album. Baba O'Riley is just perfection!

bobsticks
07-27-2008, 11:41 AM
...and that knucklehead bobsticks busted my chops about it. Yeah, it's 25 years old (is that older than bobsticks?) but it's fantastic. Screw you bobsticks!

Such hostility, Swisheroo...most unbecoming.

Swish
07-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Such hostility, Swisheroo...most unbecoming.

You usually jump on this stuff within hours, but in this case it was many days later so it's just sort of...anticlimactic or something. You need to stay on your toes stickman.

Swish - the old grouch

bobsticks
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
...I was having an inner-debate on the acceptability of my original response...frankly, I still think it's the only appropriate one.

It woulda gone something like this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QFpUZ-hFbA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QFpUZ-hFbA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jack in Wilmington
07-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure that this qualifies, but the guys at work that play guitar for fun and some have small bands that play local clubs, are into the blues. Well I turned them on to Savoy Brown and now they can't get enough of them. They're doing covers of SB songs when they play and the crowds love it. They'll come up to them between sets and ask what song that was and who did it. So we're sort of turning a new group of people onto SB, 35 years later.

Swish
07-28-2008, 10:03 AM
...I was having an inner-debate on the acceptability of my original response...frankly, I still think it's the only appropriate one.

It woulda gone something like this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QFpUZ-hFbA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QFpUZ-hFbA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
...ago. You should have used it instead of the first reply. Made much more sense.

Swish - killin' time in a crystal city

Swish
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure that this qualifies, but the guys at work that play guitar for fun and some have small bands that play local clubs, are into the blues. Well I turned them on to Savoy Brown and now they can't get enough of them. They're doing covers of SB songs when they play and the crowds love it. They'll come up to them between sets and ask what song that was and who did it. So we're sort of turning a new group of people onto SB, 35 years later.

...listen to Street Corner Talking all the time back in the day. I can still hear the opening line 'I quit my job, ain't got no money' from Tell Mama. Great stuff Jack. Thanks for the memories.

GSwish - resident geezer

bobsticks
07-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Jah, well after striking a house at a charity golf outing and telling my boss' boss to that he could take his attitude and "meet me 'down there'" with it it's been a rough coupla weeks in Nap City. Just trying to make sure that my responses are measured and appropriate...

...clearly, I need to make sure this doesn't crossover into the AR matrix.

It does make me question your priorities when I'm posting all these sensational, suggestive vids and the only thing that prompts you to respond is a streaking hippie with a public flatulence issue.

Swish
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Jah, well after striking a house at a charity golf outing and telling my boss' boss to that he could take his attitude and "meet me 'down there'" with it it's been a rough coupla weeks in Nap City. Just trying to make sure that my responses are measured and appropriate...

...clearly, I need to make sure this doesn't crossover into the AR matrix.

It does make me question your priorities when I'm posting all these sensational, suggestive vids and the only thing that prompts you to respond is a streaking hippie with a public flatulence issue.

I do have a few questions though. Did you break any windows? Was it a Titleist Pro-V 1 or the newer Prov V1x? What club were you using? A titanium hybrid that allows you to hit the ball even further out of bounds? Inquiring minds want to know!

As for my priorities, I have very few; drink plenty of beer, listen only to good music, hit the golf ball on target, to choose my words carefully around supervisors, and to have plenty of fun.

Swish

bobsticks
07-28-2008, 11:00 AM
As for my priorities, I have very few; drink plenty of beer, listen only to good music, hit the golf ball on target, to choose my words carefully around supervisors, and to have plenty of fun.

Swish

Well, if ya gotta live safe so be it.

Don't know where ya got the hybrid thang, although I did get a hybrid 3 and 4. The residential issue, and no broken windows were involved, involved me grabbing a 7 iron when I shoulda grabbed a pitching wedge. This was a couple of holes after the dreaded "Knob Creek" hole.

Swish
07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, if ya gotta live safe so be it.

Don't know where ya got the hybrid thang, although I did get a hybrid 3 and 4. The residential issue, and no broken windows were involved, involved me grabbing a 7 iron when I shoulda grabbed a pitching wedge. This was a couple of holes after the dreaded "Knob Creek" hole.

Yeah, a 7 iron will travel about 40 yards or so further than a PW, so it's no wonder you clobbered that house. I hope it was all brick.

I just got a Taylor Tour Burn #3 hybrid, and it's a keeper. A friend of mine has one and made a double eagle with it at a tournament in SD. Yes, a double eagle. It's tough enough just reaching a par 5 in two, much less making it in two. Holy crap.

Swish

bobsticks
07-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Evidently your buddy has some technique, which is an attribute I have yet to acquire. I went to the range with a buddy who has got the "skillz", as it were, and received some instruction on foot placement and grip...good stuff too, continued to launch 'em straight but got a little more loft and distance.

I should have listened to his admonitions regarding trying to kill the ball and to "let the club do the work". Who knew that a driver will shatter?

3-LockBox
07-30-2008, 04:56 AM
ahem...if there's anything more boring than golf, its a conversation about it ;)

now where were we...

I have a buncha "classic" rock that I'd only recently aquired, so I can't really use the "stood the test of time" thing, other than to say that there are a few albums I still whip out at least once, maybe twice a year for listening, every year. Of course I'm talking Pink Floyd DSoTM, Beatles Abbey Road, Led Zep HoTH, andSupertramp Crime Of the Century. I've had these albums in some form or another for over 20 years now.

Some 20 years later, I still like to listen to John Mellencamp's Lonesome Jubilee, easily his best effort IMO. He attempted a sort of old fashioned feel on that album, and I think its his use of ecclectic intstrumentation that appeals to me. Keith Richards first solo effort, Talk Is Cheap, remains the best thing any Rolling Stone has done since Some Girls.

ForeverAutumn
07-30-2008, 05:12 AM
I pulled out Colin James' first album a couple of weeks ago and that thing still rocks. Originally released 20 years ago it's held up very well over time. His guitar riffs are as ear-pleasing today as they were in 1988.

Swish
07-30-2008, 08:06 AM
ahem...if there's anything more boring than golf, its a conversation about it ;)

now where were we...

I have a buncha "classic" rock that I'd only recently aquired, so I can't really use the "stood the test of time" thing, other than to say that there are a few albums I still whip out at least once, maybe twice a year for listening, every year. Of course I'm talking Pink Floyd DSoTM, Beatles Abbey Road, Led Zep HoTH, andSupertramp Crime Of the Century. I've had these albums in some form or another for over 20 years now.

Some 20 years later, I still like to listen to John Mellencamp's Lonesome Jubilee, easily his best effort IMO. He attempted a sort of old fashioned feel on that album, and I think its his use of ecclectic intstrumentation that appeals to me. Keith Richards first solo effort, Talk Is Cheap, remains the best thing any Rolling Stone has done since Some Girls.

...is 'classic rock'.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Swish - I call them as I see them

bobsticks
07-30-2008, 08:13 AM

What a dubious honor to be the first to be chastized for going off-topic in RR :prrr: :D ...

...but in fairness to the OP and a righteous topic we'll pull it back around. Titles like Brothers In Arms, Floodland, and Exile On Main St. come to mind. Not be contrarian but I'll take The Final Cut over D.S.O.T.M. anyday, and often do. It's been twenty years since the release of Sade's Stronger Than Pride which still gets alot of play around here...

...I'm down with Oranges & Lemons too. Hey, I noticed in the store what looked like a Japanese edition of the cd. Anyone know if this a remaster?

For me the ultimate "has legs" has to be---and excuse me for crossing genres---Miles' Kind Of Blue. I've been on a pilgrimage of late, studiously collecting the rarities...y'know "Live at Carnegie", "Live at the Newport", "Live with Quetzacoatl"...and they form a nice snasht of a night in a time in a mood on a great trip. That said, KOB is the lifeblood of the set, seminal, as it were.

3-LockBox
07-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't argue with Miles Davis Kinda Blue although I didn't really own that one myself until about 8 years ago.

And I shoulda included XTC myself, but mine would be Skylarking. Their songcraft and Todd Rundgren's production was masterful. Despite their reported differences, Todd's influence is all over Oranges & Lemons, and even Andy Partridge himself later admitted that he felt Skylarking was their most cohesive effort.

Stone
07-30-2008, 11:03 AM

I don't get it either. Drums and Wires and Black Sea are head and shoulders above Skylarking from my point of view. Plus, my first copy of Skylarking (on cassette no less) doesn't even have "Dear God" on it (I have since supplemented it with CD versions of the album that do include the song).

Oh, and Swishy, I do love Script of the Bridge, but probably not enough to shell out the cash for the 25th anniversary edition.

ForeverAutumn
07-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Damn it! I've been inspired to spin some XTC only to realize that I haven't put any on my iPod! I'll have to correct that little oversight.

bobsticks
07-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Damn it! I've been inspired to spin some XTC only to realize that I haven't put any on my iPod! I'll have to correct that little oversight.

I've got Oranges & Lemons going right now...mmmm

ForeverAutumn
07-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I've got Oranges & Lemons going right now...mmmm

Oh sure, just rub it in why don't you?

bastard. :incazzato:

bobsticks
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh sure, just rub it in why don't you?

bastard. :incazzato:

Y'know, I've heard that accusation before. Mebbe it's time for some self-evaluation and analysis...

...I think I'll do that while listening to Skylarking ;):ihih: :D

Edit: Hey, nice avi...

Swish
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
...I'm down with Oranges & Lemons too. Hey, I noticed in the store what looked like a Japanese edition of the cd. Anyone know if this a remaster?

The original was from '89 on Virgin, and the remaster was done in 2002, so my guess that's what you saw. Otherwise, it's a pirated version.

Swish - has no clue. So what else in new?

thereyet
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I have always had a soft spot for "A Tribute to Jack Johnson", an album not many people ever mention. And since my brain is in this mode...I also am very attached to Mahavishnu Orchestra Live. I pretty much swung with the fusion back in the day.

thereyet

Mr MidFi
07-31-2008, 05:50 AM
I recall there was a series of XTC Japanese remasters several years ago. I snagged the Black Sea one back then, as I recall. I wasn't crazy about the packaging, but the sound was quite good. And the music is, well, probably their best. (I loves me some Black Sea.)

Auricauricle
07-31-2008, 06:31 AM

I still getta kick listening to "Betty's Being Bad", now and then....

Give Marshall Chapman an ear!

bobsticks
07-31-2008, 06:35 AM
I recall there was a series of XTC Japanese remasters several years ago. I snagged the Black Sea one back then, as I recall. I wasn't crazy about the packaging, but the sound was quite good. And the music is, well, probably their best. (I loves me some Black Sea.)

Well, I guess we know what I'm gonna buy later this afternoon...

Auricauricle
07-31-2008, 06:42 AM
This is an ensemble I first heard way back when the Earth was green and the sky was blue...

Good music, good words, good vibe. What more d'ya want?