HD DVD Lazarus? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD Lazarus?

filecat13
07-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Well, those aren't my original words. I'm just repeating what I read. HD DVD as a medium may be dead, but Toshiba appears to be revving up Plan B, or is it Plan C?

There's reason to believe that a market exists for lesser-quality HD downloads, if they're cheaper, easy to download, and are "good enough." The mass market will be happy with good enough, and those who crave the better experience can still ride the pricier BR Express. OK, right now it's more like the BR Local, but it's still moving and building up steam.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/the_second_coming_of_hd_dvd/

pixelthis
07-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Like the man said in dawn of the dead, when asked if everybody at the military base was dead, he replied, "deadish"
Well, the latest "format" war was like the Falklands war,
(two bald men fighting over a comb".
Didnt think I would ever see anything more stupid (except ST)
until now :1:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Like the man said in dawn of the dead, when asked if everybody at the military base was dead, he replied, "deadish"
Well, the latest "format" war was like the Falklands war,
(two bald men fighting over a comb".
Didnt think I would ever see anything more stupid (except ST)
until now :1:

As much as you get up every morning and look in the mirrior, you have seen something more stupid than this. Maybe you should just open your eyes wider.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Well, those aren't my original words. I'm just repeating what I read. HD DVD as a medium may be dead, but Toshiba appears to be revving up Plan B, or is it Plan C?

There's reason to believe that a market exists for lesser-quality HD downloads, if they're cheaper, easy to download, and are "good enough." The mass market will be happy with good enough, and those who crave the better experience can still ride the pricier BR Express. OK, right now it's more like the BR Local, but it's still moving and building up steam.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/the_second_coming_of_hd_dvd/

There is a fly in Toshiba's ointment. If the studios perceive this as trying to stop or slow down Bluray, it will get no support in the form of extra value content(that is what the DL portion is for). Toshiba NEEDS the studio's support, or this is just a waste of time and money. I know for a fact that Disney is not going to support this if this even remotely looks like another war, or another way to slow bluray adoption.

Another thing Toshiba has to take into consideration is that many folks that have moved on to bluray, do not support the DVD anymore. Also the DL(as in Downloads) can also be found on bluray in the form of BD live, which would have HD extra value content as opposed to the standard definition content you will see on DVD.

This is not HD DVD coming back to life. It is Toshiba trying to extend the life of their cash cow the DVD. IMO, its a hail mary move if I ever saw one.

Auricauricle
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
It...is...ALIVE!!

pixelthis
07-27-2008, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=Auricauricle]It...is...ALIVE!!

No it aint :1:

Auricauricle
07-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Nice, Pixelman!

Say....did Klipsch have anything to do with that head gear?

BAM!

pixelthis
07-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Nice, Pixelman!

Say....did Klipsch have anything to do with that head gear?

BAM!

iTS AN ANTENNA for mp3 players with FM radio:1:

Auricauricle
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Well shielded, too, I should say...