EPI 100m's in the house.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : EPI 100m's in the house....

thekid
07-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Saw a pair of EPI 100m's on CL and thought what the heck. We agreed upon $20-$35 depending on condition. Thought they will go okay with my Genesis I's.

JohnMichael
07-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Saw a pair of EPI 100m's on CL and thought what the heck. We agreed upon $20-$35 depending on condition. Thought they will go okay with my Genesis I's.

Great speakers and a great buy. They should work well with the Genesis since they both have the inverted dome tweeters. Ah memories.

Worf101
07-25-2008, 04:38 AM
I currently have:

EPI 50's, 201s, 601s, and 100's modded.

Epicure 15's Modded, and the 20+

The 15's with upgraded driver and caps is without a doubt the smoothest best sounding bookshelf I've ever owned. Need a new house with a dedicated 2 channel room so I can hear these puppies as they were meant to be heard.

Da Worfster

thekid
07-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Just finished picking them up and they are in great condition from what I can tell. Cabinets have only one minor scratch and appear to be mahagony finish. Grills are in excellent condition and per the owner he bought them new and they have spent the last 20 years in storage. Owner also had a pair of Realistic Optimus 5's in very good condition as well as a pair of KLH 300's and Marantz Imperial 5's. I walked away with the EPI's, the Optimus and 4 speaker stands for $60... :D

Looks like a great way to start the weekend......

Photos to follow if I can get them the right size for this site...........

thekid
07-26-2008, 02:59 AM
Here are the pics of the new additions.
The pictures do not do justice to the condition of these speakers. Only one owner and they were well maintained and have been in storage for the last 20 years or so.

The Optimus 5's sound very good and the EPI's are ...well EPI's. I have not had a chance to look closely at the EPI drivers. Per the original owner the grills have never been removed and I do not want to force it. What is the best way to remove the grills on the EPI's?

Any info on the Optimus 5's would be appreciated. I have found info on 7's and 9's but not 5's. The owner said he bought them new in 1972. I read somewhere that they may have been re-badged KLH's but the back says made in Japan so not sure their heritage.

thekid
07-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Just for you Worf........ :)

Just got the grills off. These babies have never been touched and the original glue was still in place. All the drivers look to be in very good condition!!

Going to give them a spin now........ :14:

Worf101
07-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Just for you Worf........ :)

Just got the grills off. These babies have never been touched and the original glue was still in place. All the drivers look to be in very good condition!!

Going to give them a spin now........ :14:
Thanks.. man those puppies look sweet... Now to wipe da drool off of my keyboard. The New England Sound at its finest. Love those inverted dome ceramic tweets. Steal of the century my brudda.

Da Worfster

thekid
07-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks.. man those puppies look sweet... Now to wipe da drool off of my keyboard. The New England Sound at its finest. Love those inverted dome ceramic tweets. Steal of the century my brudda.

Da Worfster

Thanks!

Gave a spin and it looks like I may need to go in and clean up the X-over on one of them since I get an intermintent sound when I turn the tweeter control on the back. I have read that even though the rubber surrounds are intact it would be best to replace them. Since I have to re-foam the Genesis I's I might as well go at both of them.

Worf you mentioned your 100's are modded, what did you mod and is isn't something a noob like me can pull off?

Worf101
07-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks!

Gave a spin and it looks like I may need to go in and clean up the X-over on one of them since I get an intermintent sound when I turn the tweeter control on the back. I have read that even though the rubber surrounds are intact it would be best to replace them. Since I have to re-foam the Genesis I's I might as well go at both of them.

Worf you mentioned your 100's are modded, what did you mod and is isn't something a noob like me can pull off?
Sorry man, I bought the speakers modded. The prievious owner had the mains replaced with Kevlar based drivers and modded the crossover. I wouldn't know how to help you with the last bit. Hope they clean up well.

Da Worfster

thekid
07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
No problem.
I am on the road and have not been able to spend much time with them. I will look around and may be get in touch with Human speakers to see what they might have or suggest.

thekid
08-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Got back yesterday and the original owner e-mailed me that he just found the original box to the EPI's. Amazing what we will hold onto for 30 years!

He has a pair of Imperial 5g's he said he would let me take for like $10. Don't need them and don't have room for them but....... :sosp: