Something fishy in this auction? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Something fishy in this auction?

Worf101
07-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Seller with no history of selling. Low, LOW price and PayPal only covers up to $200.00 I believe. What's your take? Scam or hot goods?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330255615967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Da Worfster

kexodusc
07-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Could be neither, I suppose every ebayer had to start somewhere?
Too fishy for me though - Good luck with warranty too..

GMichael
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
I always follow the old rule. If it sounds too good to be true.....

BadAssJazz
07-25-2008, 08:59 AM
This raised a flag or two for me:

I last used ebay back when it was individuals selling to individuals, not huge internet retailers taking it over.

eBay has not changed, yet whatever his issues with the online auctioner, he certainly has no qualms about using eBay now. Any time a person goes against their stated principles, 9 times out of 10 they're either desperate or fraudulent. No thanks.

Besides, the auction is currently at $1K. You can get a TX-NR905, albeit Onkyo factory renewed to specs, from accessories4less.com, which is an authorized Onkyo dealer for only $250 more. Yes, you get the warranty, etc.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR905/ONKYO/TX-NR905-7.1-Channel-Home-Network-Receiver-BLACK/1.html

or if you prefer eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-TX-NR905-7-1-Channel-Home-Network-Receiver-BLACK_W0QQitemZ370071841954QQihZ024QQcategoryZ1498 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Worf101
07-26-2008, 08:31 AM
I pulled the trigger. With the $100 dollar off coupon from ebay, this puppy cost me only $975.00 delivered, IF I get it. Will keep you all apprised, between PayPal and ebay buyer protection I might get it. BAJ I went the "fac refurb" route with my fiirst AV receiver and it didn't work out so well. But used from individuals has worked out well since then. I also checked the photo's provided of the boxes with those of similar items and it seems kosher. If it get it, it was the bargain of the day if not, well I'll be in a long hard fight and will serve as a cautionary tale for others.

Da Worfster

BadAssJazz
07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, you are a brave soul. $975 for the 905 would be a steal, but I would have passed on that auction. Way too much risk for me. I hope all turns out well. Let us know your thoughts on the 905 when you get it set up.

Worf101
07-29-2008, 04:49 AM
Wow, you are a brave soul. $975 for the 905 would be a steal, but I would have passed on that auction. Way too much risk for me. I hope all turns out well. Let us know your thoughts on the 905 when you get it set up.
You BAJ, will be the second person, after moi of course, to hear how she's working out.

Da Worfster

Worf101
07-30-2008, 03:48 AM
Receiver arrived in "one piece" or so it seems. Haven't hooked it up yet as I need a couple more cables. But so far so good. Box was a little beat up but not too bad and I tipped the UPS man who I missed last Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
07-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Receiver arrived in "one piece" or so it seems. Haven't hooked it up yet as I need a couple more cables. But so far so good. Box was a little beat up but not too bad and I tipped the UPS man who I missed last Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

Da Worfster
Whew.
I was praying to the audio gods our Worfster wouldn't get swindled. I was gonna miss not seeing you here. I'm pretty sure they don't include a laptop and hi-speed internet in the life sentence for brutal murder by bat'leth...

Oh man, let us know how that baby works.

Worf101
07-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Well, truth be told, if I'd gotten took on this one it wouldn't be the first time. But never for so much. I talked to the guy at length before bidding and he seemed to be "legit" plus I'd some added buyer protection in that he's only about 80 miles from me and I knew EXACTLY where he lived. I wouldn't have commited violence but I'd found a way to get even.

Violence is only reserved for threats to my family, myself, my friends (assuming they haven't been acting like *******s) and my country. Other than that law and order every time. But I appreciate the good thoughts. I checked in the box and all was factory spec. Man that suckah's heavy though.

Da Worfster

bobsticks
07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Mang, I cain't wait to read about your adventures with the 905.

Well, truth be told, if I'd gotten took on this one it wouldn't be the first time. But never for so much. I talked to the guy at length before bidding and he seemed to be "legit" plus I'd some added buyer protection in that he's only about 80 miles from me and I knew EXACTLY where he lived. I wouldn't have commited violence but I'd found a way to get even.

Violence is only reserved for threats to my family, myself, my friends (assuming they haven't been acting like *******s) and my country. Other than that law and order every time. But I appreciate the good thoughts. I checked in the box and all was factory spec. Man that suckah's heavy though.

Good man, petty violence is so pedestrian these days. Always do something with flair, I say. Fill them lightbulbs up with petrol and bleach, or check a breakline...saltshakers and doorknobs me Klingon laddie, shaltshakers and doorknobs...

BadAssJazz
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Receiver arrived in "one piece" or so it seems. Haven't hooked it up yet as I need a couple more cables. But so far so good.

Now that's what I like to hear! Set that baby on a temporary amp stand and put it through it's paces.:thumbsup: