Urgent Speaker Advice!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Speaker Advice!!!

tony340
07-24-2008, 02:50 AM
A friend of mine is trying to get some second hand speakers for himself... The two options are some very old mission speakers, that sound quite good... They are the mission 760i and 731 bookshelf models.. Both can be had for the same price, but in a expert point of view, which is ultimately the better speaker??? Anyone ever owned one of these models?? I mean since he could go ahead and buy anyone of them, he would like to have some professional advice on which is more acclaimed... Please advice. Thanks!

tony340
07-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi.. I know this is not a very interesting thread, but can anyone of guys please help me advice my friend? He is just trying to get into his first Hi Fi setup, with either the mission 760i or 731 coupled with a Nad amplifier and marantz cd player... So what i need to advice him on is, which of the missions he should buy? Thanks

basite
07-25-2008, 02:20 AM
yeah, sorry for the late reply, but I don't really have much experience with Mission speakers (let alone the older models)...

from what I read, the 760i would be my choice, but I don't think the differences will be that big...

If I recall correctly, you're on audiokarma too eh? you could ask there too, there are quite some mission owners there...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

tony340
07-25-2008, 02:39 AM
hey thanks basite!!! well i am not on audiokarma, i think you must be refering to someone else!! anyways if someone can give me more advice on the mission speakers, would be much appreciated!

jrhymeammo
07-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Oh my goodness.
Everything you post is extremely urgent.
Did you even look this up youself?
Are you sure this "Mission" speakers are not for yourself?
As I recall, you had NAD amp and Marantz CDP thread with, again, urgent request.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/mission/760-i/PRD_120165_1594crx.aspx

If he's trying for "himself' then have him buy both speakers and find out for 'himself'.
Keep the a pair he likes then sell the other.

731 looks to be wireless speakers, and if so, this pair will be crap.
Go with 760i.

You are welcome sir.

emaidel
07-25-2008, 04:20 AM
I too remember Mission speakers and thought they were quite good. I also agree that it's best to avoid one that's wireless. I wish I could remember the model number(s), but it was a long time ago. Still, pretty impressive little boxes.

tony340
07-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Yes Sir!! The Speakers Are Concerning A Friend Of Mine... Do You Have A Problem With That? I Like Helping My Friends In Whatever Little Way I Can, So Since I'm A Member Of This Highly Acclaimed Forum, I Thought Perhaps One Of The Very Kind Members Will Offer Some Advice, Just Like How Many Of Them Have Guided Me With So Much Effort In My First Hi Fidelity Acquisition... And Fyi I Have A Rotel Ra-1062 With Marantz Cd5001.. I Got Rid Of My 3020 Long Time Ago.. And Btw, My Urgency Is Due To The Fact That These Second Hand Speaker Bargains Dont Come Very Often In This Part Of The World (usually Its Very Pricey Stuff In The 2nd Hand Market) So I Wanted To Get The Info Asap To My Buddy.. I Hope This Explanation Satisfies You...

jrhymeammo
07-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Yes Sir!! The Speakers Are Concerning A Friend Of Mine... Do You Have A Problem With That? I Like Helping My Friends In Whatever Little Way I Can, So Since I'm A Member Of This Highly Acclaimed Forum, I Thought Perhaps One Of The Very Kind Members Will Offer Some Advice, Just Like How Many Of Them Have Guided Me With So Much Effort In My First Hi Fidelity Acquisition... And Fyi I Have A Rotel Ra-1062 With Marantz Cd5001.. I Got Rid Of My 3020 Long Time Ago.. And Btw, My Urgency Is Due To The Fact That These Second Hand Speaker Bargains Dont Come Very Often In This Part Of The World (usually Its Very Pricey Stuff In The 2nd Hand Market) So I Wanted To Get The Info Asap To My Buddy.. I Hope This Explanation Satisfies You...
That's awesome.

I recall you saying used gears aren't readily availble in Bangkok(hope I got it right), in your old thread. So, as I've already suggested, why dotn you buy both speakers? Sell a pair he/you do not like.

I hate you tell you this for the 20th time, but we wont be able to you which speakers will sound better to you and/or your friend. I can tell you this, I prefer the sound of regualr speakers over wireless ones.

tony340
07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Thank you very much Jrhymeammo! I appreciate your advice, in fact my friend did purchase the mission 731 as he thought it sounded more superior than the other... And btw, i don't live in bangkok, i live in Singapore, and yes in my old thread i had not yet discovered the second hand market as i was new in the country, but now i have found many exciting places with quality second hand gear! Thanks

jrhymeammo
07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey Tony340,

I'm glad your friend found something he likes. That doesnt usually happen with alot of us, especially me. I sometimes sell my gear before I get accustom to its sound.
I hope he'll enjoy them for a very long time.

Just to be clear, I dont hate you or enjoy picking on you. Sometimes it's best to try for yourself and not rely on others' opinion. After all, you are the one who's going to be spending your hard-earned cash.

btw, were they wireless? Or were they a different pair?

Best Regards,
J

tony340
07-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks mate for your advice!! Well they are not wireless, i think you must be referring to another model, these 731's were very good value for money and they were in immaculate condition, very nice warm detailed sound... BTW i don't hate u either, its just that I'm still very very inexperienced in Hi Fidelity but on the other hand I'm very passionate towards it, so the more advice i get from you guys, will make my learning curve faster! Best Regards