Nektar - Book of Days [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nektar - Book of Days

BarryL
07-17-2008, 07:20 PM
The new Nektar CD arrived this week. You may remember them from the 1970's. I think they've done three or four CDs since their reunion about five or six years ago. I'd describe them as guitar-driven progressive rock. Like the last few CDs this one is about 50% really good IMO, and 50% okay. But I really like Roye Albrighton, the main man in the band, and given that when these old bands get together, I consider it all a bit of a novelty act. Anyway, if you like Nektar, it's a pretty solid album, and a bit on the heavier side, with no long ballads.

The song Doctor Kool is an instant classic.

I ordered my copy from their website, and the invoice contained a personal thank-you note from Roye himself (I assume it's legit). Nice touch.

Mr MidFi
07-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Back in the 70s, I was intimately familiar with one particular Nektar album: Recycled. It was one of my favorites for a number of years. And yet, I never picked up anything else they ever did...not even the classic Remember the Future. So Recycled remains the only one I know at all.

I lost that piece of vinyl at least 20 years ago, and never replaced it. That was probably a mistake. So the next time I'm in a prog-induced mood, I might just go ahead and order Recycled, RTF, and maybe even A Tab in the Ocean for old times sake.

Mr Peabody
07-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I have RTF on vinyl but haven't heard anything else by them. Are the more recent albums distributed or you have to buy from the website? Are there samples on the website?

BarryL
07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I have RTF on vinyl but haven't heard anything else by them. Are the more recent albums distributed or you have to buy from the website? Are there samples on the website?

All the albums have been remastered. Try Amazon, or their website - pretty quick, even though shipped from England, or try synphonic or one of the other online prog sites.

The remastered versions are dated around 2006 I believe.

As for samples, you'll have to discover that yourself.

RTF, Tab, and Recylcled are all great albums, although for me, RTF is a side one album only. I discovered Nektar when the album was released and the DJ played the whole thing. I loved it. All told, I think it's their best, although A Tab In The Ocean is also great.

Mr Peabody
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I saw the albums on Amazon and they command a large price.

BarryL
07-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I saw the albums on Amazon and they command a large price.

Yikes. Go here.

http://synphonic.8m.com/

Greg shows them in his catalog for $16 bucks. Email him and ask if they're available. He's reliable and worthy of your business.

Mr Peabody
07-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks