Rush live on the Colbert Report [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rush live on the Colbert Report

Finch Platte
07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
First time on American TV in 30+ years.

Interview and a song.

Whoops! They took that vid down. Here's one w/ just the song:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nvEVV2BJw08&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nvEVV2BJw08&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Too bad- the interview was the best part.

fp

nightflier
07-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Wow, was Geddy Lee's voice breaking? Maybe Lifeson should take over, he's put on a few pounds and looks like he has the better chest capacity, LOL. And I hate to say it, but in low-res Lee is starting to look more and more like Bono. Scary...

ForeverAutumn
07-18-2008, 04:54 AM
Wow, was Geddy Lee's voice breaking? Maybe Lifeson should take over, he's put on a few pounds and looks like he has the better chest capacity, LOL. And I hate to say it, but in low-res Lee is starting to look more and more like Bono. Scary...

Geddy's voice is definately suffering with age (peanut gallery...keep it to yerself). I can't be sure but I thought that they may have brought that performance down a key or two and still his voice sounded strained.

I have the Snakes and Arrows Live CD and Circumstances is downright painful for me to listen to (again, peanut gallery...shhhhhh!). Rush wouldn't be Rush without Geddy's vocals but its time to start making some key or pitch changes.

We pvr'd the Colbert show and watched it last night. I thought that it was an excellent tribute to a great band. Colbert is obviously a big fan. I thought that I was going to pee myself when he started quoting from By-Tor and the Snowdogs. And I loved when he used the pully and rope to get himself on a pedestal higher than Rush.

That's one that I won't be erasing for a while. :thumbsup:

I think that you can watch the whole show on the Comedy Central web site.

nightflier
07-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Well now that I saw the interview I feel bad for joking about their age. They were respectful, humble and gracious to their fans. And the interview was pretty funny too; the best question was the one about how long some of their songs were. Definitely do hope they get inducted into the hall of fame. They've earned it.

And did the Colbert Report really appear on the tour shirt?

Finch Platte
07-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Geddy's voice is definately suffering with age (peanut gallery...keep it to yerself). I can't be sure but I thought that they may have brought that performance down a key or two and still his voice sounded strained.

I have the Snakes and Arrows Live CD and Circumstances is downright painful for me to listen to (again, peanut gallery...shhhhhh!). Rush wouldn't be Rush without Geddy's vocals but its time to start making some key or pitch changes.

We pvr'd the Colbert show and watched it last night. I thought that it was an excellent tribute to a great band. Colbert is obviously a big fan. I thought that I was going to pee myself when he started quoting from By-Tor and the Snowdogs. And I loved when he used the pully and rope to get himself on a pedestal higher than Rush.

That's one that I won't be erasing for a while. :thumbsup:

I think that you can watch the whole show on the Comedy Central web site.

Some good points here, FA.

Some friends & I were talking about Rush the other night, and we thought it would be kind of cool if they would branch out a little- maybe do an album w/ some added players. Guest vocalists and maybe the Tower of Power horn section. Any other ideas? :ihih:

And no, Dick Cheney with a shotgun doesn't count. :idea:

fp

ForeverAutumn
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
An album with guest vocalists is a very interesting idea. Maybe showcase the vocals of some of the lesser known prog-metal bands. How about Mikael Akerfeldt singing Subdivisions or Steve Wilson singing The Trees. :)

I'm gonna nix the horn section idea. I don't really like horns. But I'd love to hear Cygnus X-1 performed by a string section. :17: :16:

nightflier
07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
And no, Dick Cheney with a shotgun doesn't count.

I could see this image appearing on one of their album covers, or more modestly, somewhere hidden behind the lyrics on the liner notes.

If there's one thing Rush isn't shy about, it's social commentary.

Finch Platte
07-21-2008, 02:23 PM
An album with guest vocalists is a very interesting idea.

I have this (http://www.magnacarta.net/releases/subdivisions.html) and it's kinda fun to listen to.

:12:

fp

Finch Platte
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
First time on American TV in 30+ years.

Interview and a song.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSVrWcLuu5o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSVrWcLuu5o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

fp

I need 5 more characters??