Use 1 cable box for 2 TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Use 1 cable box for 2 TV

Steviemac
07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi,
I currently have 4 high def TV but only two cable boxes. I am with Time Warner and have the Scientific Atlanta set top boxes.
What I would like to be able to do is centrally locate the boxes, use remote extendes and have two TV's work off of one box. Can anyone tell me how to do this.
My house is wired for cat 5 and is also wareless.

Thank you in advance for your time.

pixelthis
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Go get another cable box.
the only way to run two sets off of one box (and you can) is for both to be on the same channel.
since an extra box is like five bucks a month, hardly seems worth the trouble.
IF you're only gonna use one TV at the time, then sure you can hook both up to one box, but it depends on your outputs, etc.:1;

Steviemac
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I currently have 2 boxes. I do not want to pay for 4 of them which is about $9 a month per box. That is why I am looking for a way to use one box for 2 TV's. I know I would only be able to view the same channel from one box. There are only two of in the house so basically we would have our own box.
All four TV's have component and hdmi the cable boxes both have component and hdmi

pixelthis
07-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Dont know if these guys can help, but if they cant no one can.
Its difficult to specifically set something up for you without looking at it.
I'm thinking an HDMI splitter of some kind, etc:1:
http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

good luck

Steviemac
07-17-2008, 02:53 PM
thanks

Mr Peabody
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM
The only way I know of to get HDTV programming to two TV's is to use a switch box and run HDMI, one cable from cable box to switcher and from the switcher outputs to each TV. This is usually a difficult thing if the house is already built. If you do decide to use a switcher I'd suggest the Oppo for $99.00. It's an auto switcher and looked to have a better quality signal path.

Steviemac
07-17-2008, 07:48 PM
My house is realitively easy to run cable since it is a single story with a full stand up attic and a full basement.
My cable boxes support both component and hdmi. Can I run component to one tv and hdmi to another use a universal remote and and control it that way? Just a thought.

Mr Peabody
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
You'd probably have a difficult time finding component cables that long and if you could I believe they are more likely to have signal loss and interference. Component is a analog signal and HDMI is digital. If the cable box and TV were close to where you could run component there and the HDMI went to the longer run to the other room this would work fine.

RunLolaRun
05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Yes, you can do this. You need to have a cable splitter, as well as a HDMI splitter, for each box. You can easily find these on eBay. You can set up 4 tv's in one house with just one cable box. Of course, all the tv's would be on the same channel, but some people prefer that when moving around their house and watching one show.

AVMASTER
05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
My house is realitively easy to run cable since it is a single story with a full stand up attic and a full basement.
My cable boxes support both component and hdmi. Can I run component to one tv and hdmi to another use a universal remote and and control it that way? Just a thought.

you might want to make sure your cable box will allow both connections at the same time; check out Key Digital distribution amp model KDHDMI2x4p, you'll also need a RF universal remote with assignable emitters or use the CAT5 runs for control