Vinyl in poor condition... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl in poor condition...

A35460073B
07-16-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm curious to know what is best recommended for a record that is really beat up, with lots of scratches and surface damage. If it's a piece of music you can't find anywhere else and really want it, and it is technically still playable, what do you do? How can you protect your stylus?

Thanks.

jrhymeammo
07-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I would just play them with an inexpensive MM cart. I have a Shure M97E just for that purpose. There are too many great albums out there for us, and a scratch or two shouldn't keep us from enjoying what matters the most. MUSIC.

I dont like to recommend it on new LP, but for used LP that you just wanna listen to, I suggest you get Groov-Glide. It does reduce background noise and allows your stylus to track better. It will not remove or reducec pops and clicks.
If your LP is in that bad of condition, then try scrubing them with 10:1 solution.(distilled water/91%+ Iso Rubbing Alcohol).

If that doesnt do it, then get a hand-held steamer from a Wal-Green for $20. Scorch your LP from about 5-6" from surface and scrub way. It will remove decades of gunk and funk.

JRA

jrhymeammo
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Check out the provided link for my Ghetto, yet extremely effective cleaning system.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=3896&cat=500&ppuser=243898

A35460073B
07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Oh yeah. Actually I have a good cleaning system. Thank you. I was more concerned about physical damage. But you guys've given me something to work with. Thanks!