Onkyo 805 overkill for me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo 805 overkill for me?

Mark4583
07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Im still looking at recivers to upgrade and was reading the post on the 805.
Im just looking for a solid unit to hook up to a HDTV , DvD Player(Blueray later) and my 2 mains, 2 surrounds and a center and base.
Im not needing a multi room set up or tons of power.
Seems like this unit may be more than I need, Any suggestions( have been looking at the 705)
Thanks

L.J.
07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
It's not gonna hurt to have the added flexibility. Depends on your needs and what your willing to spend I guess. Maybe you can grab a less expensive unit and apply your savings toward that BR player or something else.

I think the 805 may be a step up in build quality vs the lesser units. Also, the "6" series seems to have addressed some of the minor issues the "5" series were having. I think there's been a few firmware updates for the "5" series though. Not exactly sure what they all fixed, but I read one was for the DTSMA popping issue.

BadAssJazz
07-17-2008, 11:24 AM
What made the 805 so appealing was it's relatively low price/plethora of features ratio. However, you can find a receiver that does exactly what you need for under $500.

In fact, if you're set on Onkyo, www.vanns.com is offering the 606 for about $400.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538499144?v_c=CPonkyoTXSR070308

Yamaha also offers a receiver for $500 that will fill the bill:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=90960

Whatever you buy, just make sure that the receiver is HDMI version 1.3 compliant and offers the True/Master HD sound capabilities for your future Blue Ray needs.

pixelthis
07-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Im still looking at recivers to upgrade and was reading the post on the 805.
Im just looking for a solid unit to hook up to a HDTV , DvD Player(Blueray later) and my 2 mains, 2 surrounds and a center and base.
Im not needing a multi room set up or tons of power.
Seems like this unit may be more than I need, Any suggestions( have been looking at the 705)
Thanks

Actually, if you can afford it the 875 might be better, as it has the reon proc for video.
As for thinking the 805 might be a bit "much" that brings up something interesting about this stuff.
Mainly that you need something that is a bit "much", so you can grow into it.
Someday you might need a feature or option that you dont now, be nice if you didnt have to upgrade to get it.
Basically, when I upgrade I get what I can afford.
Trust me, and others on this board, while this receiver might seem a bit "much" its actually quite mild, you can get one for five grand,
with stuff you cant imagine.
A day will come in the future when you look at this one and cuss its shortcomings.
Happened to everybody at sometime or another.
Like my reletively new receiver, bought right before HDMI came out.

Which is why it pays to keep up with the latest:1:

willit65
07-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi I'm new to the audio review and this is my first posting. I just recently bought an onkyo 805 about a month ago. Personally I think its great. I got it on accessories4less.com refurbished for a little over 600 including shipping. The only negative aspect of the receiver is it's heat. That unit throws some serious heat. Much more than I'm used to. I thought the 805 was a deal I could not pass up for 600. I'm running all paradigm speakers and they have never sounded better.

bobsticks
07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi I'm new to the audio review and this is my first posting. I just recently bought an onkyo 805 about a month ago. Personally I think its great. I got it on accessories4less.com refurbished for a little over 600 including shipping. The only negative aspect of the receiver is it's heat. That unit throws some serious heat. Much more than I'm used to. I thought the 805 was a deal I could not pass up for 600. I'm running all paradigm speakers and they have never sounded better.

Don't worry about the Onkyo's heat; they're all like that. I have two and both are like mini space heaters. One I have had for five or six years, running at ten or twelve hours at a stretch and it never has given me a problem. I'm sure you already have surmised to keep it properly ventilated...

...and welcome to the forum.