Value of Tannoy G.R.F. system? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Value of Tannoy G.R.F. system?

captainanalog
07-15-2008, 06:23 PM
I have a pair of Tannoy G.R.F. folded horns with 15-inch Monitor Gold Concentric speakers. These have a very plain Danish modern finish and are finished to be placed on their sides (lo-boy). They were purchased in the late 60's and have a very smooth and clean sound. Can anyone tell me what these may be worth?

Thank you

O'Shag
08-14-2008, 11:13 AM
That they are GRF cabinets does increase the value. The holy grail of Tannoy fans is the GRF corner cabinets - they are big and sell for 20 - 25k b ut you'd be lucky to find them! I'm not an expert but my friends are, and I've listened for extended periods to a number of Tannoys.

In this case, the driver is 15", which is a plus, however the Gold is much less desirable than the Tannoy Reds. If these are in good nick, I would hazard a guess they should fetch anwhere between $1,500.00 and $2,500. It would be a different story if they were Tannoy Reds. Then they would be worth $4,500.00 or more. Probably not a good time to sell right now because of the bad market. Anyway, why don't you keep them? With the right electronics they will sound wonderful - better than many modern speakers. Older Tannoys such as yours have a wonderful way with voice and strings.

captainanalog
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the response, O'Shag. I remember lusting over the big GRF corner units, too. These also sound wonderful but it is likely that I won't have room for them after an impending move. While I owned my share of small boxes during the 70's (Wharfdales, ARs, etc) nothing sounded as good as the large folded horns.