The Exorcist: Savior or False Prophet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Exorcist: Savior or False Prophet?

Auricauricle
07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Years ago, when I owned tube gear, I obtained posession of Gryphon's The Exorcist. It emits a medium frequency pulse that reportedly helps eliminate DC leakage residue that accumulates with continued power ups of amps and general usage.

I have since been tube-less, but retain and continue to use the Exorcist, thinking that with all the crap I have accumulated, the device helps to clean the sound and give my equipment some extra help in the longevity department. I may be a mad hatter for saying so, but I discern a notable difference for doing so: vocals are clearer, the extreme frequencies are reproduced more smoothly and the staging is deeper and more three dimensional in quality.

So, the question for you guys is: Am I falling sucker to a placebo-type device: i.e., is this a sugar pill or the real deal?

Or am I just a crazy gadget-head who falls prey to the latest gimmick?

And what the heck is DC leakage anyway? I hear tell that lines emit electrons and those electrons accumulate and degrade the signal. Since most of my stuff has been bought second hand, I think it prudent to make sure that everything is cleaned up. Is this some sort of degausser that is really doing anything?

Thanks....

O'Shag
07-15-2008, 10:09 AM
You asked so I'll answer. Most of us 'Audiophiles' fall squarely into the sucker category. The word Audiophool is not without merit, and we are -perhaps rightly- considered eejits by people who are not obsessed by audio/video.

Having said that, there may be something to the Gryphon Exorcist, and electricity does present real problems no doubt. I am more inclined to believe that the Exorcist may possibly have some basis in reality rather than many other gimmicks because the company produces some stellar equipment that is very well engineered - Gryphon is likely a company led by engineers rather than marketing folks.

Auricauricle
07-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, I appreciate your attempt, O'S....I have looked up the company, and it looks respectable enough. Gryphon is based in Denmark, so mebbe the spelling of the product or its origin gives it some credibility....

Ooooh, I had to go there, didn't I?

The effect is quite interesting though. Reminds me of certain blends of...tobacco (yeah, that's it!). Somehow or other, details were more pronounced and nuances more discernible after one or two to--tastes....

RoadRunner6
07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Rod Elliott is not super impressed with the Exorcist. Read down about halfway on this link to get his opinion.

http://sound.westhost.com/madashell10.htm#gryphon

RR6

BTW, DC Leakage stands for "Dupable Cranium Leakage" :D

Auricauricle
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Thank you, RR. Interesting to read, but I would like to see more "objective" data or results of an A/B comparison. Mebbe I am simply insane or it's the placebo effect....

daviethek
07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
I was hoping that maybe one of our prestigious AR members was also an MD. Placebo effect has a very importatant place in modern medicine.

Auricauricle
07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
No MD; NP (student). Yeah, and there's the dollar to quality ratio (D/Q). As increasing dollars are shelled out for a product, the perception of quality increases proportionately....

Excuse me, was that a few toes I just stepped on?

RoadRunner6
07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
This on the Exorcist from the AV Magazine is definitely more objective.

http://avmagazine.com/01/gryphon_exorcist.htm

I think perhaps the main function of the Exorcist is to separate the buyers from their money.

RR6 :smile5:

Auricauricle
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Sorry: I don't read Kanji....Or whatever this language is....

Thanks all the same! I think your "separation" explanation is pretty dead on....Although I think the DC definition has a more scientific ring...

Sometimes the truth Hertz, ya know!

daviethek
07-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Excuse me, was that a few toes I just stepped on?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. I belive in placebo effect. In general, we want our tweaks to work so they do.

I think these types of tweaks are best appreciated on mid-fi systems. On higher end systems, the improvements are considerably less noticeable. That could be one of the reasons for skeptism on this forum for tweaks. Most folks here have nice gear.

Its kind of like the Diakom feedback stabalizers. I noticed bunches of improvement on my low end bedroom system and none at all on my main system.

Auricauricle
07-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm gonna think on that: That tweaks become less appreciated as the quality of component workmanship improves....

If you look at the gear I use, it seems at least half of them are "tweaks" of some sort or other....

Like you and others, I fully endorse the notion of the placebo....About 10 mg, TID, gets me through the day.

Gab
07-30-2008, 06:43 AM
If you convince yourself that a radio sounds good it will in your mind... If it really sounds better you should be able to tell 100 % of the time witch gear is working in A/B tests.

My experience with all this stuff is that most is not making significant changes or no changes at all in the sound. I can tell though that some 5 K audio systems sound 10 times better than 30 K ones... You need to trust your instincts.

Auricauricle
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Thank you, Obi-Won....

I stand by the conviction that we do not all experience sound the same way. Different perceptions of timbre, air, tone, etc., have encouraged inclusion of bass, treble and other controls that drive the desire to create new aural capabilities and drive folks like me absolutely insane....

hermanv
09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
...edit...
I have since been tube-less, but retain and continue to use the Exorcist, thinking that with all the crap I have accumulated, the device helps to clean the sound and give my equipment some extra help in the longevity department. I may be a mad hatter for saying so, but I discern a notable difference for doing so: vocals are clearer, the extreme frequencies are reproduced more smoothly and the staging is deeper and more three dimensional in quality.
...edit..If you already own it, and you think it works, what's the question?

Only your opinion matters, unless you are trying to sell it or promote it, ignore all those folks behind the curtain.

Auricauricle
09-23-2008, 09:00 AM
This question was posed as an intellectual exercise to help me discern differences between actually perceived differences in quality and those reckoned by placebo effect.

You are right: if I can pick something up, then why should I worry?

Then again, if I am so worried, why pick it (the gizmo) up?

hermanv
09-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Endless words have been spoken and typed about subjective versus objective testing. Both sides are easily able to make substantiative statements about why only their technique is valid.

I am of the subjectavist camp and have debated the point to near exhaustion. Both sides are deeply enough entrenched that common ground seems impossible.

I personally believe that high end audiophile equipment has seen considerable improvement over the last 10 to 20 years. This improvement has not been accompanied by any significant changes in test methodology or equipment, leading at least me to believe that the improvements are due mostly to listening tests. Once you hear a system that's better than what's been heard before you become aware of possibilities you might not have considered. If you're like me you want your system to sound better too.

You might go as far as to try things that make little rational sense, most do nothing, but some appear to help. I will accept what I think is an improvement in quality without an attached explanation leaving that resolution to future research. The end result of this method has been a steady improvement in my system or at least a belief in a steady improvement, my neighbors and other non audiophile friends seem so affected by my beliefs that they too hear an improvement.

No one on this forum or any of the others seem to be able to resolve this painful debate, in other words you're on your own. Enjoy :) :) :)

Auricauricle
09-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Fair 'nuff, Herman, and yet I will contend that tunes spun on a quality unit produced ten years ago will produce (at least) as many smiles as anything produced today. This is a terribly myopic POV, as I have not had much pleasure listening to what's "new and hot". In sum: if I can listen to some good rawkinroll (courtesy of the Sultan, luvintheblues of BC) on my li'l ol' Newcastle rec., then the "subjectivity" standard you espouse must be valid!

Now, if you excuse me, there's a bottle to open, some garlic to saute and some crankin' to do....