Hellboy II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy II

markw
07-15-2008, 04:05 AM
While we're speaking of movies that have little basis in reality, this one comes to mind.

Yes, it's a comic book. Yes, it relies a lot on CGI and yes, some of the plot elements may appear derivitive.

But, given it's a summer popcorn movie, it's a heckuva lot of fun. I don't feel I wasted my $18 to see it on the big screen. Great CGI, lots of humor interspersed (Ron Prelman may have found his life's calling) and it moves quickly.

And, I'll betcha there's gonna be a Hellboy III.

kexodusc
07-15-2008, 04:25 AM
We took mom and dad to see it - 4 thumbs up from the Kex family... Even my grumpy old man thought it was a "fun" movie.

I wouldn't put it up there with Iron Man or anything but it's a good effort. I'd see Hellboy 3.

Rich-n-Texas
07-15-2008, 07:55 AM
It did $40 million at the box office over the weekend. Hell, I still haven't seen Ironman yet. That's how far behind I am!

bobsticks
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I opened this thread with some apprehension because I liked the first Hellboy and thought we might be in for another pontification of reality in Sci-Fi/period movies. Yeah, No. 1 was silly and ujnrealistic but it was fun silly and unrealistic.

This movie I shall see.

nightflier
07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Is it worth waiting for the DVD and making a purchase instead? That is, how are the sound effects, how is the plot line (for repeat viewing), and how is the humor? I own the first and I rank it up there with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, X-men and Underworld - it still gets played every so often, so I suppose it was a fair investment at $20-ish, since that's about the cost of a ticket and a candy bar at the concession stand....

kexodusc
07-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Is it worth waiting for the DVD and making a purchase instead? That is, how are the sound effects, how is the plot line (for repeat viewing), and how is the humor? I own the first and I rank it up there with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, X-men and Underworld - it still gets played every so often, so I suppose it was a fair investment at $20-ish, since that's about the cost of a ticket and a candy bar at the concession stand....
My only complaint was it, like more and more comic-genre movies are becoming - was condensed to fit a convenient movie-length, and could have benefitted from a bit more time in some scenes, but, that's relatively minor.

I am of the opinion any movie worth buying at full price is worth seeing on the big screen too. I would watch it again, and I enjoyed it more than the first movie, FWIW.

markw
07-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I opened this thread with some apprehension because I liked the first Hellboy and thought we might be in for another pontification of reality in Sci-Fi/period movies. Yeah, No. 1 was silly and ujnrealistic but it was fun silly and unrealistic.

This movie I shall see.I'm more than willing to grant a wide application of artistic license for a movie as long as it doesn't try to take itself too seriously. I want to be entertained, not educated, nor will I judge a movie too heavily based on the SFX or sound. It's story, dialogue, character/actor interaction and flow are more important to me.

But, to be downright insulting to my intelligence will turn me off. I had problems with the new "War of the Worlds" for this reason. Too many holes in the basic logic flow for me.

Both Hellboy's worked for me as did "Eight Legged Freaks" and "Evolution" (not to mention "Caveman") and many, many others as well. None are "works of art" per se, just good fun, which is all I really ask.

Likewise, I buy music for the music itself, not so much for the sound. That would limit me too much. Of course, given the choice between a DCC or MoFi release over the bog-standard ones, I'll go for the former every time, but those options don't always exist.

nightflier
07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I haven't seen HB-II yet, but don't the bad guys look like the Drow (for those us us who've dabbled in Dungeons & Dragons when we were younger)?