Help me make the list! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me make the list!

lars128
03-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Sorry for the same old post, but I would like some input specific to my tastes, rather than reading over what is good for someone else. Anyway, here it goes.

I just recieved my NAD 2200 amp and 1155 preamp (recommended from a friend), and now I'm making my demo list. I am relvatively new to this, but my local dealer has been helpful. They sell Paradigm and B&W, and I have listened to them both, but not with my own music. Needless to say I will demo them, as well as PSB's. However, I would like some recomendations for other speakers to demo. Here are some things to consider.

Music - Rock, anything ranging from Van Morrison to harder stuff. I listen to alot of acoustic stuff, piano, and cello as well.

Room - Bedroom now, eventually moving to a living room. Both will be no bigger than 12 x 16.

Price - $600 to $1000 new or used.

That said, what do you suggest? I would love to see some specifics and why, I first looked at Paradigm Studio 40's and feel that the tweeter/two 6 1/2" woofers would be fine, so I haven't considered larger speakers. You guys may have an opinion on this and I would like to hear it. I also have a feeling that the NAD - Paradigm setup may be too bright (which I may end up liking), so what would be a little smoother? I should also say that I do not have a Wharfedale or Energy dealers in my area, but I would like to try Wharfedales if there is any sort of way I can. Finally, should I look into Axiom and send them back if I don't like them? Thanks for all your help.

topspeed
03-09-2004, 10:05 PM
I also have a feeling that the NAD - Paradigm setup may be too bright (which I may end up liking)

Enjoying an amp/speaker combo that is too bright is like enjoying the sound of the Dentist's drill before he hits a nerve. This is not a knock on NAD or Paradigm, simply ANY combo that is real aggressive. You won't grow to like it any more than you'd grow to like a papercut.

Have you checked out Audiogon.com for used speaks yet? A quick check revealed JM Lab Cobalt's (smooth), Bowers & Wilkins Matrix 805(!!!), NHT's, and Green Mountain Europa's all w/in your price range. There were others like Sonus Faber and ProAc but I don't think they'd be a good match of rock, acoustics yes. There are also a lot of internet only companies like Axiom, Ascend, Swan, Onix, etc. that give good bang for the buck. Who knows, you might like Klipsch too, especially if you can find a used pair of Cornwalls, Forte's, or Heresy's. I just chose a pair of Von Schweikert VR1's over the Monitor Audio Gold, Energy Veritas 2.2, and Paradigm 20 v3 but that doesn't mean squat because my system and more importantly, my EARS, are different from yours.

There.

Confused yet?

Brother, the list is endless. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is grab your favorite tunes and hit the road. Go listen to as much as you can find and come to your own conclusions. Home demo's are best of course but if you can't do that it wouldn't be beyond reason to lug your NAD's with you (just be careful) so you can see which speak sounds best with your rig.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

psonic
03-10-2004, 08:52 AM
See my post here:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2095

I just finished auditioning in that price range, and my gear is similar to yours. Read all of this thread, it will be very informative for you. Just bear with it, it does stray out of context a little, but then it gets back on track on page 2. Basically you will find many user suggestions and many of my opinions after auditions and what I decided on and why. Check it out, and let us know what you listen to and what you think.

spacedeckman
03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
and keep the nice.

Before you drop the cash, listen to whatever you can. Then, you may want to try audiogon once you have an idea of what you like.

This is one place where a brick and mortar store can be priceless, if the salesman is willing to let you listen, and help you identify things before you get all excited about bad stuff. Every dealer has a speaker line that is the "punching bag" that they have because people ask for it. The prize is the speaker that seduces you rather than slaps you upside your head. Unfortunately, men tend to take the slap upside the head...don't ask me why.