Upgrade bug bit [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade bug bit

Mr Peabody
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I have been wanting to upgrade my HT processor in order to gain better bass management and more modern decoding after hearing the Marantz AV8003 I've decided to give it a try. It was impressive listening to a Jazz Blu-ray sampler. I don't know if it will be as competent as my Primare in sound but I've decided to take the chance.

My EAD transport went out and timing couldn't be worse since I've had my eye on the 8003 for some time. It's amazing how many DAC's are available and so few transports. I intended on just picking up a decent CD player to use as transport. Unfortunately, my ears ran across a killer CD player, the T+A, The CD Player. It was very noticeably better than the Arcam CD192 and that's saying a lot. I brought it home for an audition using it as transport and comparing the internal to my Audio Note DAC. At first the AN gave it a run for the money on the first CD but as I progressed the superiority of the T+A came through. Before spending the money this thing would cost I wish I could audition a AN single CD player. At the same volume details on the T+A are much easier to hear. It also has no problem with synergy in my system.

I will probably be posting some of my gear on Audiogon but want to give my fellow AR members a shot before I do. My Primare 31.7 will go for sure, I can't see needing 2 processors. My AN DAC possibly, I could use the money to pay for the upgrade. But DAC's are always nice to have around. I also have a vintage Sansui AU-9500 and a pair of Dynaudio Audience 40's in dark cherry I'd be willing to let go. I don't know if I will post them or not. Seems like most of us have a small collection of gear around that may not be our first string.

Rich-n-Texas
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Congrats Mr. P! :thumbsup: Hopefully the 8003 will live up to your expectations. Good luck with it.

bobsticks
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
I have the feeling that 8003 is gona be a giantkiller. Good luck and let us know.

Mr Peabody
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
The CD player should be here in about a week after placing the order but the AV8003 may take a while. According to the dealer this Marantz stuff sold as fast as it hit.

pixelthis
07-14-2008, 10:47 PM
GOOD LUCK Mr P.
As for that "jazz" blu sampler, any info on that? Sounds interesting:1:

Rich-n-Texas
07-15-2008, 11:15 AM
The CD player should be here in about a week after placing the order but the AV8003 may take a while. According to the dealer this Marantz stuff sold as fast as it hit.
Didn't you purchase an Oppo 980 recently?

Mr Peabody
07-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Didn't you purchase an Oppo 980 recently?

Ha.... ha..... that's a joke right? If I was sticking with DVD that Oppo piece would be a good purchase though.

Mr Peabody
07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.taelektroakustik.de/eng/index.htm

jrhymeammo
08-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Mr. P,

Did you ever get your T+A? What do you make of it?

Mr Peabody
08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes, the T+A is prominently placed in the system. Sound quality is very good. It's difficult to review though because it does everything so well. I mean it's solid state with good bass and extension there, and in the highs, very detailed, yet it isn't cold or analytical which tends to come along with terms like "detailed". It does all that while remaining mucical and having good synergy with my CJ gear. It's the closest thing I've heard to having both worlds. I still want to hear what the matching integrated sounds like but I'm almost afraid to. The Audio Note DAC is very good but I realized it gave more of a distance presentation rather than a front row presentation. It's funny how on some recordings the gap between the two isn't that big, especially when I try to compensate in my mind for the more up front presentation of the T+A. Then on others the T+A almost shames it.

I can tell the economy must be pretty bad though my stuff isn't selling very well. I placed some things on Audiogon and some on Craigslist. So far I sold the Dyn 40's. I've gotten a lot of interest in my DAC but no one put the money in my hand yet. Some jerk offered me $800.00 for my 31.7. Then he came up to $1k and I still pay shipping. When we didn't strike a deal he said, "it's a shame we got so close on price and couldnt' make it work, you know I tried hard". I'm thinking good thing your some where down the cyber highway away from my hands. I only posted it for $1,350.00 and I pay shipping. The Marantz is more modern but it isn't comparing to the 31.7 in sound quality. I figure a $4k preamp that sounds this good should be worth the asking price just if for stereo. Am I wrong in my thinking? I have everything that came with it originally and it's perfect, except for the glitch I have with the one optical input. I noted that in my ad because I try to be honest and up front but I wonder how many people other than me would even hear the issue. Boy when I start thinking out loud..... some one tell me to hush. Oh well, cluttering up AR is cheap therapy :)

If this is therapy, some are ready for shock treatment. Not mentioning any names, ST :)

thekid
08-16-2008, 02:56 AM
I think you are probably right about how the economy has affected prices. I have been able to pick some things up lately dirt cheap even by my low budget standards. There is a guy not too far from me who is posting some fairly decent vintage speakers on an almost daily basis and he is apparently getting no takers. I am surprised that Sansui has not gone yet, there is quite a following out there for the 9000 series from what I read.

jrhymeammo
08-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Sounds like your new toy is well balanced and seasoned to your taste. I think I really need to hear a top-notch RBCDP. Maybe I need to modify my Marantz.

As for economy, I've had hardest time trying to sell my excessive gear as well.
I kept receiving ridiculous offers like:

4 offers of $550 to $750(Including PP&Ship) for my BAT VK-3i w/ remote.
3 offers of $250 to 350 for my Shelter 501mk2 (less than 10 hours of use)

Lowballer are just waste of everyone's time and space. I've eventually sold me BAT to a true gentleman, but I may end up keeping my Shelter. I think I'm too honest on Agon, but last thing I would need is from a pulsating cheap-ass control freak who gives me a bad rep for finding a tiny knick I had failed to see.

Rant On, Mr. P!

Mr Peabody
08-16-2008, 04:16 AM
I haven't posted my Sansui. I am not sure really what to ask for it and for the amount I have invested in it I'm not sure I want to sell it. If some one made me a decent offer I'd probably sell it. My Adcom 5400 is posted reasonable and I didn't get any bites, nor did the considerably more expensive Krell 500i. On the other hand, if one had the money it looks like a buyers market for now. The key is "has the money".

Ajani
08-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Selling online can be quite a pain... I imagine it must be even worse now with the way the economy is...

Before I left Toronto I sold all my gear on the Canadian version of Audigon (Canuck Audio Mart)... in order to make quick sales, I priced everything below what I saw as the average selling prices for the same/similiar gear... even so I got numerous low ball offers and stupid questions like '"What's the lowest price you can accept?"... one @$$clown even came to audition a pair of speakers I was selling and when he was finished, let me know that he couldn't pay my asking price because he was $100 short (the speakers where going for just $500, 2 yrs old - Retail $1.5K)... Nothing wrong with negotiating, but if you know you either can't (or in this case - are not willing to) pay the asking price, then you should say so before you go to the seller's place to do an audition...

Rich-n-Texas
08-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Get back your Dyn 40's and sell them to me Mr. P. :yesnod: I have placement issues with my floorstander surrounds.