It's official....NetFlix on XBOX 360 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's official....NetFlix on XBOX 360

Groundbeef
07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
MS announced a partnership between itself and NetFlix for it's XBOX 360 platform. Subscribers to the NetFlix service will be able to stream video onto the XBOX 360 right onto their living room TV.

This service will not cost consumers any additional fee's on top of the current NetFlix price.

Here's the link. Its a bit light right now.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07/14/e308-netflix-on-360/

Ajani
07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
That's a very smart move by Microsoft... and Netflix too... More and more consumers (especially younger generations) are using and expecting downloadable media... This is a an easy way to move netflix downloads from the computer screen to the tv screen (for Xbox users)...

nightflier
07-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Now if only there was an external BR player for the X-Box, it would be a no-brainer. But I agree, great move for Microsoft, Netflix, and the consumers.

P.S. What will be the resolution/quality of these downloads?

pixelthis
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
They had to do something since they have been getting their butt
routinely kicked by PS3 ever since BLU won the format war.
And PS3 does have online content, so its still a no brainer , for a few bucks more you get a BLU player.
Micro and soft will have to bite the bullet, swallow the pride,
eat crow, and get a BLU drive soonest to be really competitive.
PS3's blu capability is built in, which means you can have a lot more game content.
Its just a more advance system is all.
XBOX has a red laser, doesnt it?
In any event its stone knives and bearskins:1:

Groundbeef
07-15-2008, 05:27 AM
They had to do something since they have been getting their butt
routinely kicked by PS3 ever since BLU won the format war.
And PS3 does have online content, so its still a no brainer , for a few bucks more you get a BLU player.
Micro and soft will have to bite the bullet, swallow the pride,
eat crow, and get a BLU drive soonest to be really competitive.
PS3's blu capability is built in, which means you can have a lot more game content.
Its just a more advance system is all.
XBOX has a red laser, doesnt it?
In any event its stone knives and bearskins:1:

Oh Pix, how I love thee inept posts of yours.

1. MS isn't getting it's "butt routinely kicked by PS3 ever since Blu won the format war". The 360 is handeling itself quite well. It's sales suck in Japan, but in the US it is beating Sony each month.

2. Online content with the PS3 is anemic compared to the 360.

3. Blu-Ray is IRRELEVENT in gaming. I will conceed that more data can be held on a blu-ray disc, but the 360 can utilize multi-disc delivery. Furthermore, as of yesterday at E3, MS indicated that going forward, games can be put on the Hard Drive, eliminating the need for swapping discs.

Again, BR is great for strorage....IRRELEVENT for gameplay.

4. The PS3 is on par with the 360 for GAMEPLAY. It has more processing power, but not enough RAM. On most multi-console titles the graphics and playback are better on the 360.

5. I will conceed that BR seems to be driving the PS3, and at some point it will be addressed by MS. However, MS is doing quite well without it. As long as they continue to focus on great gameplay, and innovate on the fly, they will continue to out-step Sony.

Netflix, achievments, movies on demand, exclusive downloadable content, and the un-matched LIVE service...yeah, Sony has some catching up to do.

GMichael
07-15-2008, 05:34 AM
I'm thinking that one of each would be the best way to go. How about you Kex? You already have a 360 and are planning on picking up a PS3 as well right? One for the living room and one for the bedroom (or playroom). Now that's what I'm talking about.

kexodusc
07-15-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm thinking that one of each would be the best way to go. How about you Kex? You already have a 360 and are planning on picking up a PS3 as well right? One for the living room and one for the bedroom (or playroom). Now that's what I'm talking about.
Yeah I'm going to have both here shortly.

I think the Netflix deal might be irrelevant to me because Netflix doesn't do Canada, but since we're talking about downloading, maybe I can get in on that, what's geography when we're talking internet right? I'll have to follow up.

I expect to use the PS3 for movies and the XBOX 360 for gaming - I still see more games I like on the 360.
As a multimedia box, the 360 is ok, but the damn MS proprietary philosophy make it a PITA for my purposes. I'm hoping the PS3 might be more flexible.

Groundbeef
07-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Yeah I'm going to have both here shortly.

I think the Netflix deal might be irrelevant to me because Netflix doesn't do Canada, but since we're talking about downloading, maybe I can get in on that, what's geography when we're talking internet right? I'll have to follow up.

I expect to use the PS3 for movies and the XBOX 360 for gaming - I still see more games I like on the 360.
As a multimedia box, the 360 is ok, but the damn MS proprietary philosophy make it a PITA for my purposes. I'm hoping the PS3 might be more flexible.

It's pretty easy w/either XP or Vista. Also, MS recently changed their stance somewhat and you can now stream DIVX over to the 360. Previously it was only .wmv files it would use.

Are you using it as an extender? I've not had trouble with streaming my music/pictures either.

kexodusc
07-15-2008, 06:30 AM
It's pretty easy w/either XP or Vista. Also, MS recently changed their stance somewhat and you can now stream DIVX over to the 360. Previously it was only .wmv files it would use.

Are you using it as an extender? I've not had trouble with streaming my music/pictures either.
Yeah, after the update last fall it'll do Div X, XVid, avi etc using the extender or just Windows Media Player. You have to do a bit of configuration editing to get it to work with a non-windows OS. Pain in the butt for a guy that has a Mac and Linux box at home.

The stupid thing doesn't like FLAC or APE files very much which is my main gripe. Or Apple Lossless. WMA works right though.

When it works it works well. But it would be so infinitely simple to expand the capability to all music formats instead of MS's proprietary codecs and the universal MP3 standard and to make it more user friendly with non-MS software. Oh well.

I could always convert files, or just boot to windows but I shouldn't have to.

Groundbeef
07-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Yeah, after the update last fall it'll do Div X, XVid, avi etc using the extender or just Windows Media Player. You have to do a bit of configuration editing to get it to work with a non-windows OS. Pain in the butt for a guy that has a Mac and Linux box at home.

The stupid thing doesn't like FLAC or APE files very much which is my main gripe. Or Apple Lossless. WMA works right though.

When it works it works well. But it would be so infinitely simple to expand the capability to all music formats instead of MS's proprietary codecs and the universal MP3 standard and to make it more user friendly with non-MS software. Oh well.

I don't think the apple lossless is a MS problem. It seems Apple is rather stingy about who can use their formats as well.

Either way, the 360 is a decent media extender, and for those that choose to use either XP or Vista, realtively easy to utilize.

Rich-n-Texas
07-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Ha ha Penguin Guy! That's what you get for being a non-conformist! :p

See my response above. :biggrin5:

kexodusc
07-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Ha ha Penguin Guy! That's what you get for being a non-conformist! :p

See my response above. :biggrin5:
Pfff...we'll see how tough ya talk when MS takes over your comany and moves it to India! :ciappa:

pixelthis
07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh Pix, how I love thee inept posts of yours.

1. MS isn't getting it's "butt routinely kicked by PS3 ever since Blu won the format war". The 360 is handeling itself quite well. It's sales suck in Japan, but in the US it is beating Sony each month.

2. Online content with the PS3 is anemic compared to the 360.

3. Blu-Ray is IRRELEVENT in gaming. I will conceed that more data can be held on a blu-ray disc, but the 360 can utilize multi-disc delivery. Furthermore, as of yesterday at E3, MS indicated that going forward, games can be put on the Hard Drive, eliminating the need for swapping discs.

Again, BR is great for strorage....IRRELEVENT for gameplay.

4. The PS3 is on par with the 360 for GAMEPLAY. It has more processing power, but not enough RAM. On most multi-console titles the graphics and playback are better on the 360.

5. I will conceed that BR seems to be driving the PS3, and at some point it will be addressed by MS. However, MS is doing quite well without it. As long as they continue to focus on great gameplay, and innovate on the fly, they will continue to out-step Sony.

Netflix, achievments, movies on demand, exclusive downloadable content, and the un-matched LIVE service...yeah, Sony has some catching up to do.

Bullhockey.
According to MSN XCROCK sales are slumping rather badly.
PS3 beats it in just about every category, you can already download games on it, and hate to tell ya ace but while you're shufflin discs
ps3 users are using ONE disc, and already dwling movies, and
just about everything else.
I thought the melt-down of HD CRAPPOLA would perhaps sway you from your zombie-like adherence to this POS PC disguised as a
game console, but I GUESS NOT.
Everything in your post is a matter of opinion(enough ram, etc)
most others do not agree.
Maybe you and sir talky can get together, you with your antique
game box, and him with his antique TV:1:

------------------------------------------------------------------

(ground beef?) I think not

GMichael
07-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Put your annalist on danger money baby.:crazy:

pixelthis
07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=GMichael]Put your annalist on danger money baby.:crazy

mbbuchanan