Please help put together with new audio system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help put together with new audio system

M.J.
07-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Howdy - first time poster - thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out. Am a regular at roadbike and mountain bike review.

It looks like we're moving from London to Texas and I'll have to ditch my UK electronics. The good news is that I get to pick out a new stereo. All of my music is now on MP3's located on a large hard drive. I currently have a NAD amp and B&W bookshelf speakers which are run from a Dell laptop with Windows Realplayer. The system is fairly small but so is the room it's in.

I suppose I will need to pick up an amp and speakers to suit an average US living room. The amp should be able to take the usual inputs. It will probably be a dedicated stereo rather than home theatre system but having options for retrofit are always good. Satellite speakers (with a woofer) would be great but are not necessary. Speakers in multiple rooms would be great. Wife doesn't like technology or things that look overly male - accordingly, have looked at the Scandyna online but have not heard them. In the name of utility she can be overruled but pink bonus points for cool design. Music covers most flavours (metal to hip hop, country to jazz) but guitars are featured more than electronic music.

Needless to say looking for good quality probably in the $2000 range but I don't have to spend that much. If you think spending more is justified please let me know why - I know what happens when people ask me about bicycles. Please let me know if you need more information or if I'm just asking the wrong question in the wrong forum. Thanks again for taking the time.

Ajani
07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Firstly, Welcome to AR....

For $2K or less you have a world of great stereo options. You can even buy a new NAD and B&W combo if you really liked it...

Based on my tastes in my music for $2K (which will probably be my budget in a few months when I'm ready to buy), I'd opt for:

Squeezebox Classic $300 (or Duet for $400) so I can play the music from my computer with a remote... (I currently have a Classic and am loving it)

+

Marantz PM7001 Integrated Amp $600

+

Monitor Audio RS6 Floorstanders $1K

Anyway, good luck in your search...

bobsticks
07-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the forum and, soon, welcome to the States...

Ajani ahs put together a great system for that pricepoint and I would definetely keep it as a contender. Of course, I would hold off on any final decisions until I actually knew the dimensions of the room.

Monitor Audio make some solid kit and are worthy of consideration but I wouldn't preclude the idea of auditioning speaks once you got here. Speakers are a very personal thing and oft times room-dependent, as I'm sure you know. Also, the used market over here is immense so if your not opposed you may find a wide variety of options in your price range.

In any case, welcome to the club.

pixelthis
07-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I thought the NAD had a switch for the power, to choose which power standard you want.
If not, its a simple fix, just a thought.
If you're looking for stereo, Cambridge is good(wildwest electronics)
as is the retro looking receiver from outlaw.
The great thing about the outlaw is that it has USB, so your computer would plug right in if you want to play files from it.
GREAT WAY TO GO :1:

Ajani
07-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the forum and, soon, welcome to the States...

Ajani ahs put together a great system for that pricepoint and I would definetely keep it as a contender. Of course, I would hold off on any final decisions until I actually knew the dimensions of the room.

Monitor Audio make some solid kit and are worthy of consideration but I wouldn't preclude the idea of auditioning speaks once you got here. Speakers are a very personal thing and oft times room-dependent, as I'm sure you know. Also, the used market over here is immense so if your not opposed you may find a wide variety of options in your price range.

In any case, welcome to the club.

Good Point...

M.J. I would never suggest that you or anyone rush out and buy a system based solely on recommendations or reviews... The Monitor Audio, Marantz & Squeezbox setup is just an example to show you one of many options you can put together in your price range... Though it is a setup that I am in the process of purchasing, I would strongly suggest that you audition it (or at least the speakers) before buying... and better yet audition as many brands as possible before committing to any...

In your budget some of the top brands in electronics are Marantz, NAD, Rotel and Cambridge Audio.. In speakers: Monitor Audio, PSB, Paradigm, B&W, Magnepan... and the list goes on and on and on...

You can get many (most?) of the good Brittish brands in the US, so you can probably even audition some of them before you make the move...

Asterix77
07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Some advice from a fellow newbie.

Regarding the speakers the MA RS6 are great, but you can think of the MA BR5 as well.
It's a budget floor standing speaker ($600 per pair) but great value for their money. (maybe you can add a sub if you think it's necessary)
But well you just have to listen and compare brands and pick one....I'm absolutely no connaisseur but as a newbie I learned one thing....go to some local dealers, bring some music you know very well and just listen...
It's what I did when I went out for some equipment. I was completely ignorant (and still am, though I learn a lot here:p ).
But in the end what counts is that you are happy with it (and the mrs:smile5: )

So no advice after all I guess...sorry

blackraven
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
If you like the British sound and want to stick with NAD or Cambridge Audio, check out www.spearitsound.com and for Monitor Audio www.saturdayaudio.com The Cambridge Audio 740A integrated amp is a good buy at $1000 and you can even find the 840A version 1 amp for the same price at spearitsound. I've got the 840c CD player and love it. It has a simple clean elegant design and is of excellent build quality.

If you like B&W speakers consider the 684 floorstanders for around $1100pr or the 685 bookshelfs for $650pr

IMHOAudio
07-28-2008, 01:45 PM
PM sent