2 Questions: Receiver and Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions: Receiver and Speakers

Sarasin
07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Hello Guys : )

Long time viewer, first time poster.

I am updating my home theater system.

1 question: Traditionally speakers were supposed to point at the listener. I am considering in-ceiling speakers for the mid speakers and the rear speakers. Will this affect the quality of the listening experience?

2 question: Pioneer Elite? or Denon for primary receiver? 1000.00 price range.

Any thoughs will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-G

pixelthis
07-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Hello Guys : )

Long time viewer, first time poster.

I am updating my home theater system.

1 question: Traditionally speakers were supposed to point at the listener. I am considering in-ceiling speakers for the mid speakers and the rear speakers. Will this affect the quality of the listening experience?

2 question: Pioneer Elite? or Denon for primary receiver? 1000.00 price range.

Any thoughs will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-G

In a short answer, yes.
But on the other hand those who like stuff like in-walls tend not to care.
The problem is that tweeters are diectional, with a driver shooting from the ceiling you have a narrow spot on the ground where the high freq sound is good.
The answer is a speaker with an aimable tweeter( the bass is omnidirectional).
Just point the tweeter towards the listening area. :1:

Sarasin
07-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Thank you for the quick response. I will definately take that into consideration. Anyone else have thoughts on the subjects?

Pioneer vs Denon?

Thanks in advance.

Worf101
07-13-2008, 07:42 AM
In ceiling and wall speakers HAVE to make compromises due to the fact that they've no cabinet to speak of to help (or hurt) with frequency reproduction and response. A main speaker, either floor or bookshelf, is carefully and specifically designed with much research so as to consistently reproduce certain frequencies and STILL the room's layout, speaker placement and accoustic treatments can drastically affect how a speaker sounds in your room. With in wall and in ceiling speakers you've no options, nothing to adjust or play with and as Pix said a very limited "sweet spot" for optimal listening. Some folks HAVE to go this route, I understand, but do so only fully understanding that if they sound like ass after installation there might not be much you can do about it.

Da Worfster

blackraven
07-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I prefer Denon products, especially the 3000 series and above as they use torroidal transformers. Also, Pioneer receivers tend to be huge in size if space is an issue. But either way you go should be fine. You should also consider Onkyo, 705 and 805 or the newer 6 series.