I'm So Disturbed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm So Disturbed

Mr Peabody
07-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey rockers, Disturb's, Indestructible, is worthy of your attention. Maybe I'm in the wrong circles because this album should have a buzz going, it's probably their strongest album to date. And, after Sickness that's saying something. Indestructible leans more toward traditional Metal than those of the past while maintaining Disturbs ferocious riffs and hooks. You will notice right off that they gave the lead ax man more leash on this album and he rips, it, up, in places. Disturbed includes some Prog flirtation on this album and in a couple songs even experiments with "Cookie Monster" type vocals, not all the way, just some injections. Which it's appropriate because this album, is, a monster causing me to take my amp to 11 and leaving it there. I've always enjoyed the way Disturbed attacks with precision and this album is no exception. I dare you to listen and try to keep the volume at a moderate level :)

Finch Platte
07-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Hey rockers, Disturb's, Indestructible, is worthy of your attention. Maybe I'm in the wrong circles because this album should have a buzz going, it's probably their strongest album to date. And, after Sickness that's saying something. Indestructible leans more toward traditional Metal than those of the past while maintaining Disturbs ferocious riffs and hooks. You will notice right off that they gave the lead ax man more leash on this album and he rips, it, up, in places. Disturbed includes some Prog flirtation on this album and in a couple songs even experiments with "Cookie Monster" type vocals, not all the way, just some injections. Which it's appropriate because this album, is, a monster causing me to take my amp to 11 and leaving it there. I've always enjoyed the way Disturbed attacks with precision and this album is no exception. I dare you to listen and try to keep the volume at a moderate level :)

I read a review of this in Rolling Stone, and they didn't like it.

So, that means it's probably pretty good, and along w/ your review that means I'll have to check it out. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip.

fp

bobsticks
07-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Disturbed rawks at a time when most do not. If I ever have kids Dave Dramen will sing at the birthday party...

You don't really know how good these guys are til ya see 'em live. Ol' boy on the gee-tar fills up a lot of space with passing chords and some tasty riffs. Big sound for a four-piece.

I may have to check this out if only because I agree with Finchy about Rolling Stone...what a buncha hacks.

JohnMichael
07-13-2008, 07:56 AM
I just pulled out Disturbed's "The Sickness" and "Believe" from the rack. Hope my neighbor will enjoy them as much as me. I will be checking out "Indestructible". I would love to hear them live. Thanks Mr. P for the review and reminding me it has been too long since I have listened to them.

Rich-n-Texas
07-13-2008, 08:34 AM
You've just shot my image of you Mr. P right down in flames!!! :thumbsup:

It's off to Amazon for some sampling...

Rich-n-Texas
07-13-2008, 09:02 AM
I just heard a version of Genesis's "Land of Confusion" from the "Ten Thousand Fists" album. :23:

Good stuff. I'll take it!

Mr Peabody
07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
I did the same thing! I bought Indestructible and saw 10,000 Fists for $8,99 and threw it in the cart too. 10,000 Fists is good but Indestructible is better in my book.

What was Rolling Stones beef about this album?

Swish
07-13-2008, 01:45 PM
I did the same thing! I bought Indestructible and saw 10,000 Fists for $8,99 and threw it in the cart too. 10,000 Fists is good but Indestructible is better in my book.

...and reads like a People or Us magazine. It hasn't been relevant in years and the fact that a reviewer from that rag doesn't like it amounts to zippo.

Swish - pick up Mojo for a real treat in a music zine

Duds
07-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Disturbed is horrible.

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2008, 05:36 AM
I'm not familiar with Disturbed. Is this something that I should be checking out?

Mr Peabody
07-14-2008, 06:41 AM
FA, that's a hard call. Disturbed is heavy but they sort of developed their own sound. Maybe check out some samples from Amazon, they aren't long but may give you some idea. Sickness and the latest, Indestructible are my favorites. The vocalist also has a sort of trademark style as well. I'd say if you are into bands like Tool or Godsmack then you may also like Disturbed.

Duds
07-14-2008, 07:43 AM
oh my God, please don't ever use Tool and Disturbed in the same sentence. Or tool and Godsmack for that matter.

FA, that's a hard call. Disturbed is heavy but they sort of developed their own sound. Maybe check out some samples from Amazon, they aren't long but may give you some idea. Sickness and the latest, Indestructible are my favorites. The vocalist also has a sort of trademark style as well. I'd say if you are into bands like Tool or Godsmack then you may also like Disturbed.

Finch Platte
07-14-2008, 08:00 AM

Problem is, much of Indestructible, banks on the same old angst-mongering that has fueled a zillion rock-radio hits in the past 10 years. And Draiman's Halloween-mask mien grows tiresome and sometimes chuckle-worthy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/20983377/review/21455358/indestructible

fp

Mr Peabody
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't know what your beef is with Disturbed but I like them about as well as Tool and prefer them over Godsmack.

It sounds like Rolling Stone has lost focus of what fuels R&R anyway.

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
oh my God, please don't ever use Tool and Disturbed in the same sentence.

What if I wanted to say, "Finch Platte is disturbed and he's a tool!"?

:devil:

Duds
07-14-2008, 10:36 AM
now that is pefectly fine with me!

Finch Platte
07-14-2008, 04:03 PM

:cryin:

Auricauricle
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
After he trashed me beloved PFM??

Lash 'im good 'n hard, maties!

Mr Peabody
07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
FA, have you checked out any Disturbed yet? So far I haven't thrown anything you took a swing at, I'm just curious.

I also thought Kex might jump in here at some point, he usually likes some of the heavy stuff.

ForeverAutumn
07-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Not yet. I haven't had time to turn my home computer on all week. Maybe over the weekend. I'll let you know.

kexodusc
07-28-2008, 05:04 AM
I have all of Disturbed CD's except the latest, and I'll probably buy that soon enough. I play them a lot for workouts or when I run. Dunno why, but this band resonates with me for exercising purposes. In fact, I don't think there's been a week that's gone by the last 2 or 3 years that I haven't played Distrurbed at least once. I am not a big fan of similar bands, and in the heavy metal genre these guys are probably closer to what I dislike than like. Except I do kinda like them...they have stronger melodies than most of the crappy modern metalish bands out there.

That said - I find these guys are extremely guilty of sounding very much the same on every single release. In the same way Nickelback sounds the same on every release. They get quite repetitive, and artistically I find them very limited. I think they rock hard and they have some very good, catchy riffs, are high energy and "fun" to listen to and i'm sure that's why I get into them during workouts...but they're not something I can get into the mood to listen to outside of sporting events or the gym for some reason.

That's not a knock or a bad thing - a lot of bands are successful recycling themselves every album - AC/DC, Aerosmith, Nickelback etc...stick with what works and have fun doing it.

FA, I'm not sure if you would like them or not?...if I had to guess - No. But maybe check them out anyway.

bobsticks
07-28-2008, 05:23 AM
Yup, yup, they're not the be-all-end-all of metal gods but they're solid and consistent. I like Dramen's evils yelps and I'm always down for a busy metal gee-tarist...

...but I agree that they're kinda a "niche" band, good for the moment, as it were.

Mr Peabody
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I like the precision fierce guitar riffs. I think you will like Indestructible Kex. Although there will be no doubt it's Disturbed. I believe they try to expand on this effort. There are definitely more lead guitar parts than in the past and they are good I might add.

Mr Peabody
11-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm really going to be Disturbed now, Peabody got Disturbed tickets as an early Xmas present. They did an outside summer show here with several other bands but things didn't work out. This time I'm ready and it will be in a decent inside venue. Can you feel it?

3-LockBox
11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I've been teetering on the fence concerning Disturbed for a few years now. That quote about angst mongering from Rolling Stone, while I hate Rolling Stone magazine, pretty much sums up my feelings toward a lot of nu-metal. At least Disturbed's man-style vox doesn't make my skin crawl the way Linkin Park's bratty, sullen teen vox do. The last album I've heard from these guys was the 10,000 Fists album. It was good in spots, and a tad tiresome in others. I've heard a few tracks off of Indestructable and they certainly are as talented as any mining this vien of metal, but their songs are geared for quick consumption, which I guess is good since many bands who try to be epical overstay their welcome. Short and sweet, hooky power chords never hurt a band like AC/DC or Judas Priest, and they're still plying their trade. The three or four songs I heard didn't exactly light a fire under me to go out and buy this album, but I didn't hear anything wince inducing either, and what I did hear rocked relentlessly hard. I may have a nephew who has a birthday coming up, or maybe my own kid (he's more into games than music right now though). Someone I know might be getting a copy of this one.

Mr Peabody
11-08-2008, 02:38 PM
10,000 Fists is my least favorite of it and Sickness and Indestructible. Between the latter two I currently lean toward Indestructible. I do think they try a small stretch on Indestructible, one song has a bit of growling vocals and a few feature excellent guitar solos like I haven't heard on the prior albums. They don't stray far from their formula though, but that formula works for me when I'm in the mood to Rock.