emotiva/marriage - Lexicon/divorce? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : emotiva/marriage - Lexicon/divorce?

Tarheel_
07-10-2008, 03:38 PM
been a long time since i've been through this neighborhood...I see the usual suspects...got into personal watercraft over the last few years...but come August i want to upgrade my basement HT.

Room is 12x24 with cement walls. I have a Marantz 5600, which i love...but i need POWER...and gobbs of it to get the full potential from my Revels up front and Infinitys out back.

I was leaning toward a used Lexicon 125x7, but i always come back to the 'hood' before i make a purchase and so i start reading about Emotiva and am lovin it!

I need to power 3 - 6 ohms speakers and 4 - 8 ohms speakers in my HT room.

what do you think? The LPA-1 everyone raves about has been replaced by the UPA-7 which now does 125x7 all channels driven.

Just blew tons of cash on a new Yamaha FX HO watercraft in May and wife is steaming from that...i need something cheap. Will i be happy?
Oh yeah, i like warm music, but listen to 90% DVDs...standard DVD that is.

kexodusc
07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I am absolutely thrilled with the build quality and sound quality, not to mention gobs of power in the LPA-1. I was using 2 Adcom and 1 Rotel 80 watt amps in my HT prior. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of headroom, detail, dynamics etc. Quite an upgrade. You can read a few threads we've done on the LPA-1 here a few of us have them, and as far as I know, we're all pretty happy.
I also have a Rotel RA-1070, 100 wattx2 integrated amp - the LPA-1 is a much more robust amp than that in 2-channel mode. I think I posted my earlier thoughts here in good detail:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=26897

It is a far beyond what I've come to expect at the price point, and the shipping was first rate from Emotiva, who was great to deal with.

Is it up to par with Lexicon? I dunno, haven't a/b tested it with a Lexicon. But I think it's easily holds its own against the usual Adcom, Rotel, Outlaw, multichannel units. In terms of value, it's a winner.

frenchmon
07-12-2008, 03:34 PM
What Lexicon are you suggesting?

frenchmon

Tarheel_
07-29-2008, 11:35 AM
What Lexicon are you suggesting?

frenchmon

frenchmon...sorry i fell asleep at the wheel.

I'm looking at a used Lexicon GX-7 which is 125x7 weighs about 52lbs and retailed at $3000 (gotta love the markups on these amps).

I may go with the UPA-7, which is also 125x7....but will always wonder about what (if any) thing i'm missing. Wondering now about the 200x3 Emotiva offers and keep the Marantz to power the other 4 speakers.

my front 3 speakers are 6 ohms (nominal), 3 ohms (minimum), but fair sensitivity at 87 db spl.

frenchmon
07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
frenchmon...sorry i fell asleep at the wheel.

I'm looking at a used Lexicon GX-7 which is 125x7 weighs about 52lbs and retailed at $3000 (gotta love the markups on these amps).

I may go with the UPA-7, which is also 125x7....but will always wonder about what (if any) thing i'm missing. Wondering now about the 200x3 Emotiva offers and keep the Marantz to power the other 4 speakers.

my front 3 speakers are 6 ohms (nominal), 3 ohms (minimum), but fair sensitivity at 87 db spl.

Have you looked at the Outlaw amps? The higher-end Outlaw amps are copies of the Lexicon amps internally....There use to be an connection between the Bryson, Lexicon and Outlaw amps at one time. From what I've read, the Lexicon RX-7 is identical to the Outlaw 7700 in every way except cosmetically at a much better price.

frenchmon

Tarheel_
07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
i did not know that...i will check out the outlaw amps.

thx!

filecat13
08-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I've heard many Lexicon rumors over the years, including the Bryston one, the ATI one, and the Crown one. Certainly, Crown makes sense as it is also owned by Harman International.

Truth be told, though, I've never seen definitive proof. Over on AVS someone was going to call ATI and ask directly if they made Lexicon. We never heard from that guy again. :eek6:

Well, maybe it wasn't that dramatic.

I have the JBL Performance Series AVA-7, which is a Lexicon rebadge. It runs 125W/ch at 8 Ohms. It's specs are similar to an Outlaw 7125, but clearly not identical.

For my purposes, 125W/ch is enough power, but it's at the bottom of the range. I'd prefer a minimum of 200W, mostly for the headroom.