Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!

noddin0ff
07-09-2008, 05:36 AM
#2 of 10 after a disappointing Portishead: 3 listen (noddin went on a mail order CD binge).

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!

I'm exactly half-way through this disk and already I'm...er...digging it. Except for a track of NC that I have on the soundtrack for Until the End of the World, this disk is my only NC&TBS holding. I've heard a song here and there and always liked the sound but never had an album in my hands.

Well, this is a no regret purchase. You can listen and imagine yourself sitting in a authentic British pub, translocated to the heart of the western States (maybe Colorado). Good looking tarts with better than Brit teeth abound (or I suppose, secure, good looking guys who like to listen if you're into that sort of thing) but you don't care a bit cause the music is playing, you could get up and dance, but why, you have better things to talk about with your mates anyway, and the beer is a hell of a lot better than the swill that usually accompanies these visions on TV.

What's currently cracking me up is the liner note book. It's about 53 pages. Not a single picture, all text. Essentially just lyrics in normal type but something like triple spaced. Lyrics for a typical song run about 6+ pages. It's fitting. Kind of a well thought, well executed carelessness.

These guys sound like they're having fun, they know what their doing. They're serious but no so much you'd notice. They rock, they roll. No regrets.

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Rosary clutched in his hand, he died with tubes up his nose
And a cabal of angels with finger cymbals chanted his name in code
We shook our fists at the punishing rain
And we call upon the author to explain

(Doop doop doop doop dooop)

He said everything is messed up around here, everything is banal and jejune
There is a planetary conspiracy against the likes of you and me in this idiot constituency of the moon
Well, he knew exactly who to blame
And we call upon the author to explain

Nice review. Nick sounds positively "young" again, full on with the unashamed Sixties keys and razor gee-tars. I like this one too, and the fun factor is not the least of factors for that. There's only a few of us 'round here with a copy so I guess we'll keep the secret until someone calls upon the author to explain.

noddin0ff
07-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Full listen complete. All good. Pretty sure it'll make my top 10 of the year. There's definitely something going on upstairs!