Seeking advice on new...appliances! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on new...appliances!

kexodusc
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, that's right...appliances.

We need all new appliances for the house we're building- I know NOTHING about brands or features other than what I read on the net this week and a slew of problems 3 relatives have had with various Whirlpool brand stuff in the last 3 years....

Sooo...laundry pair, everything in the kitchen...gotta all match of course cause my wife's fickle that way.

Are there any "good" or "aweful" brands or is this stuff all fairly generic?
Best deals I've been offered are on Frigidaire everything, web reviews are favorable but if it's anything like audio that's useless. Mulling over some LG laundry stuff though.

Appreciate any thoughts. I'm out of my element on this one.

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 04:41 AM
I just bought a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer, and had purchased the Cabrio Dryer last year. (My old set finally died after 14 long years). Between myself, the missus, and the 3 girls we figure we washed 10 loads a week, 52X Yr. That was a cheap Amana set from when CC used to sell appliances. But I digress.

I have not had any issues with the Whirlpool stuff. There have been some complaints on the web, but do a search for LG appliances, and you will be horrified. Especially the dryers, lots of complaints of ruined clothing and the like.

The Cabiro were a bit pricey, but I bought floor models, and talked the price down a fair amount. Ended up $689US for the Dryer and $849US for the Washer (tax included).

We have a GE cooktop, and GE Ovens (2-the wife loves to cook). I don't remember the brand of dishwasher, but it was a cheepie. I don't need a silent one, just one that cleans.

Hope that helps.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 05:27 AM
We went with all Kenmore (or Kenmore Elite for the dishwasher. it had the best sound insulation) When I researched a few years back, they were getting the highest marks besides some English brand that was 3x the cost. I believe that Whirlpool is still making Kenmore (to Sears' specs). We love them so far. Wife wanted the stainless but I didn't like how they showed fingerprints. We ended up with the satin. They look stainless but don't show the fingerprints. For the fridge, we got the side by side style. It's good for the convenience of being able to reach everything, but you'll never slide a whole pizza box in. You could go with the side by side refrigerator style that has the freezer on the bottom. These give you the best of both worlds but cost 2x as much.

We went with LG's for the washer & drier. So far we've had no issues.

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 05:27 AM
I just bought a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer, and had purchased the Cabrio Dryer last year. (My old set finally died after 14 long years). Between myself, the missus, and the 3 girls we figure we washed 10 loads a week, 52X Yr. That was a cheap Amana set from when CC used to sell appliances. But I digress.

I have not had any issues with the Whirlpool stuff. There have been some complaints on the web, but do a search for LG appliances, and you will be horrified. Especially the dryers, lots of complaints of ruined clothing and the like.

The Cabiro were a bit pricey, but I bought floor models, and talked the price down a fair amount. Ended up $689US for the Dryer and $849US for the Washer (tax included).

We have a GE cooktop, and GE Ovens (2-the wife loves to cook). I don't remember the brand of dishwasher, but it was a cheepie. I don't need a silent one, just one that cleans.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Beefy. As I understand it some of the Whirlpool stuff is built in Europe, some is built in Mexico. I'm told to avoid the Mexico stuff. But I dunno how much more reliable any of the brands are over others, we had cheap GE, Inglis, and Frigidaire crap in the last 2 homes without issues (most brands a. I'm guessin X % of all appliances die and in the review world you tend to hear from the unsatisfied customers a lot more than the satisfied ones.

Did you get front or top loaders? Wife is SOLD on the front load washer/dryer now, she had them in Australia the 9 months she was there, our mothers have them, and there's no way I'm talking her out of it now...

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 05:34 AM

It's been awhile since I've looked in a brand-specific kinda way but inkeeping with what Beefy said I think you have to prioritize.

Heat is heat, nahmean? I have yet to discern a huge difference between electric ranges...for me, I was better served to buy a cheaper oven and better cookware. Gas, I'm sure, is more prone to variance but I'm not qualified to comment on home units.

I agree to an extent Beefy as well about the dishwasher, although differences are pretty vast in dishwashers. It just depends on your preferences. I went with a nice mid-level GE unit due to the space constraints v. quality ratio and have been happy. You'll probably have more options.

Refrigerators are the speakers of home appliances. I can't strongly enough recommend the theory that was imparted to me by that scion of wisdom...momma sticks...that you prolly need to spend less than what you're told on an oven and more than what you think is reasonably acceptable on a fridge.

I did that have been grateful ever since. Even temps protect and prolong food life, auto ice (if water quality permits), and storage capacity (equals fewer trips out, less drive time).
I recently upgraded to a 21.7 cf. Whirlpool that I have been extremely pleased with though it's clearly overkill for a single guy.

Sadly, I doubt it's an option in your part of the world but I can't say enough good things about HHGregg for appliances, though I'm not terribly high on them for A/V stuff...great and timely service, sensible warranties and knowledgable staff.

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Hey Kex, I can't help you yet but I'm in the same boat so I'm happy to share anything that I learn. We don't need a washer/dryer right now, but we're shopping around for a new kitchen and will be purchasing all new kitchen appliances sometime this summer (after the kitchen design is finalized).

We'll probably also be shopping for a new furnace before the weather gets cool again, so I can share that research with you as well if you need a furnace.

There is a Consumer Reports Kitchen book on the shelves right now that has some interesting appliance reviews and info. I'm in the process of reading it now. What I find very interesting is that CR seems to like Kenmore (Sears) appliances and rates them quite highly in all categories. The thing is that Sears doesn't make their own appliances, they are white labeled. But I guess the lower price makes them good buys.

Just from looking around at fridges, I can tell you that we've decided on a bottom freezer. The side by side fridges don't have a lot of room. If you wanted to store a turkey, for example, in the freezer or slide a pizza box into the fridge, you can't. The bottom freezers don't have as much space as the top freezers, but not having to bend down as much to reach the lower fridge shelves makes it a good trade-off IMO.

We saw a really cool stove in a kitchen showroom that we're going to price. It's called a "slide-in". It's a flat top with controls on the front (no backsplash) and the stove top is designed to slide into your counter top for a smooth, unbroken look. It was very cool...not sure of price yet though.

We had a Whirlpool washer/dryer in our old house that worked really well and never gave us any problems. They were both pretty low-end appliances, but they got the job done.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks Beefy. As I understand it some of the Whirlpool stuff is built in Europe, some is built in Mexico. I'm told to avoid the Mexico stuff. But I dunno how much more reliable any of the brands are over others, we had cheap GE, Inglis, and Frigidaire crap in the last 2 homes without issues (most brands a. I'm guessin X % of all appliances die and in the review world you tend to hear from the unsatisfied customers a lot more than the satisfied ones.

Did you get front or top loaders? Wife is SOLD on the front load washer/dryer now, she had them in Australia the 9 months she was there, our mothers have them, and there's no way I'm talking her out of it now...

When I researched these back in 2006, the top brands were Kenmore Elite, Kenmore, and GE. LG was in the middle. Then the Whirlpools and Frigidaire were on the bottom. Note sure how they rate them now.

For the washer & drier, there was an English brand that was on top, then Kenmore, LG, Samsung..... The front loaders are easier to use and are better for water consumption and energy conservation, but cost more. I think they are worth the extra money though.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Hey Kex, I can't help you yet but I'm in the same boat so I'm happy to share anything that I learn. We don't need a washer/dryer right now, but we're shopping around for a new kitchen and will be purchasing all new kitchen appliances sometime this summer (after the kitchen design is finalized).

We'll probably also be shopping for a new furnace before the weather gets cool again, so I can share that research with you as well if you need a furnace.

There is a Consumer Reports Kitchen book on the shelves right now that has some interesting appliance reviews and info. I'm in the process of reading it now. What I find very interesting is that CR seems to like Kenmore (Sears) appliances and rates them quite highly in all categories. The thing is that Sears doesn't make their own appliances, they are white labeled. But I guess the lower price makes them good buys.

Just from looking around at fridges, I can tell you that we've decided on a bottom freezer. The side by side fridges don't have a lot of room. If you wanted to store a turkey, for example, in the freezer or slide a pizza box into the fridge, you can't. The bottom freezers don't have as much space as the top freezers, but not having to bend down as much to reach the lower fridge shelves makes it a good trade-off IMO.

We saw a really cool stove in a kitchen showroom that we're going to price. It's called a "slide-in". It's a flat top with controls on the front (no backsplash) and the stove top is designed to slide into your counter top for a smooth, unbroken look. It was very cool...not sure of price yet though.

We had a Whirlpool washer/dryer in our old house that worked really well and never gave us any problems. They were both pretty low-end appliances, but they got the job done.

Those are very nice! I love the way they blend into the counters. A little pricy though. The ovens and the stove tops come separately and add up to about 2x the cost of a comparable over/stove range. Still, if it's in the budget, they look fantastic.

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Wife is SOLD on the front load washer/dryer now, she had them in Australia the 9 months she was there, our mothers have them, and there's no way I'm talking her out of it now...

I've always wanted a front load washer and the new house came with one. :) But what I didn't know is that it takes twice a long to wash a load of laundry now!

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Those are very nice! I love the way they blend into the counters. A little pricy though. The ovens and the stove tops come separately and add up to about 2x the cost of a comparable over/stove range. Still, if it's in the budget, they look fantastic.

This one was all one piece, just like a regular stove/oven.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 05:59 AM
This one was all one piece, just like a regular stove/oven.

Really? Do you know the brand etc? I do love how those look.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 06:01 AM
I've always wanted a front load washer and the new house came with one. :) But what I didn't know is that it takes twice a long to wash a load of laundry now!

Very true. Almost an hour for a full load.

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 06:07 AM
We went with all Kenmore (or Kenmore Elite for the dishwasher. it had the best sound insulation) When I researched a few years back, they were getting the highest marks besides some English brand that was 3x the cost. I believe that Whirlpool is still making Kenmore (to Sears' specs). We love them so far. Wife wanted the stainless but I didn't like how they showed fingerprints. We ended up with the satin. They look stainless but don't show the fingerprints. For the fridge, we got the side by side style. It's good for the convenience of being able to reach everything, but you'll never slide a whole pizza box in. You could go with the side by side refrigerator style that has the freezer on the bottom. These give you the best of both worlds but cost 2x as much.

We went with LG's for the washer & drier. So far we've had no issues.
Kenmore, eh? We never checked Sears.

My wife's leaning towards the single door fridge/freezer unit because she likes the width for her baking etc. But we can figure that out later - I'm just curious if there's brands to avoid at this point but it's looking like a crapshoot.

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks Beefy.

The Cabrio Line from Whirlpool are TOPLOADERS. However, they are HE (High Efficiancy), and are awesome. The washer has a capacity of 4.5CF, and the Dryer is 7.5CF.

That is enough room in the washer to wash our Queen sized comforter without any trouble.

This machine mimicks the performance of a front loader, (water consumption, speed etc), without the downsides.

Do a google search for frontload washers problems, and you will hopefully be able to change her mind. Typical issues involve leakage, mold growth, and staining of clothing. I wouldn't buy a front loader EVER.

BTW, the washer spins (the Cabrio) so fast, a full load of towels now takes the dryer less than 40 minutes to dry. It's weird. The washer spins at 950RPM, most washers spin around 500-600RPM.

And its whisper quiet. I'm not kidding. The loudest sound when washing clothes is the sound of the water going into the tub. My wife didn't even belive it when I washed clothes the first time. Our old one sounded like we were washing gravel in a cement mixer!

rob7
07-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Don't know where your 'parts unknown' is at, but we lived in a parts unknown ourselves. We bought a washer and dryer from Best Buy in Phx, but we lived about 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere. We had some issues with the dryer and it was a total pain in the a** to get them to honor the warranty for the repair. If I remember right, we had to load it up ourselves and take it into the store. Since then, we've bought everything from Sears because out here they have those repair vans that go anywhere. We bought Kenmore washer and dryer and haven't had any trouble.

And we have a Kenmore bottom freezer refridgerator, and we love it. Freezer actually holds a lot and it has a shelf so everything is not in one big pile (it's in two). Shelves in the fridge hold pizzas, turkeys, hams, milk gallons, and whatever else.

Hope that helps.

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Really? Do you know the brand etc? I do love how those look.

I don't. But we'll be going into their showroom next week to review the designs and I'll find out for you. I like what you guys did with your kitchen. What material is your counter-top? And, is your floor hardwood or laminate? I want hardwood but several people have advised me against hardwood in the kitchen.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't. But we'll be going into their showroom next week to review the designs and I'll find out for you. I like what you guys did with your kitchen. What material is your counter-top? And, is your floor hardwood or laminate? I want hardwood but several people have advised me against hardwood in the kitchen.

Thanks. Not that we'll be changing our kitchen anytime soon, but it's good to know what's available.
Thanks again. The counters are made of quartz. The colors are not as bright as most granite tops, but they have several advantages over granite. They are cheaper because they are man made instead of dug up from the Earth. (Not a limited supply) They are harder. Just be careful when cutting things on them. They won't scratch like granite, but they will dull your knife. They are non-porous. Bacteria will not build up in or on them. They are more heat resistant than granite as well. Overall, much better than granite at a lower price. We've come to think of granite as the Bose of the kitchen world. All the extra cost is for bragging rights instead of functionality.
The floor is a laminate. We heard the same thing about hardwood in the kitchen. The laminate is very easy to keep clean, but my wife wanted the hardwood look. I had picked out a different laminate, but think she made the best choice for us.

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Good advice too - I've seen experienced first hand what can happen in a kitchen to hardwood when boiling water spills, large heavy appliances scratch, glass/ceramic dishware falls and breaks. Our previous home in Maine had hardwood there, it was a tough, durable wood with a good coat of poly on it but it still took a beating. Water damage if it ever happens is expensive to fix. The kitchen is also the highest traffic area of most homes, and ours showed the results of the added wear quite noticeably. I think in a perfect world it wouldn't matter, but when considering what can go wrong you might think again.

Ceramic tile on the other hand is perfect in the kitchen. Durable too - I dropped a microwave that didn't survive, but the tile did...vinyl/laminates would be my 2nd choice because it can be cheaper and easier to replace than hardwood in the event of catastrophe.
They are making some incredibly neat laminate flooring products these days - an idiot can install it themselves and save a ton. IMO the thicker the better, we're putting some of that 15 mm double thick stuff in our basement (another bad spot for hardwoods, especially in Canada).

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks. Not that we'll be changing our kitchen anytime soon, but it's good to know what's available.

The floor is a laminate. We heard the same thing about hardwood in the kitchen. The laminate is very easy to keep clean, but my wife wanted the hardwood look. I had picked out a different laminate, but think she made the best choice for us.

Most of the time they do!

I too have laminate in my kitchen. In fact, it's pretty much the entire floor. Except for the family room, and master bedroom, I laid laminate all over.

There are certain advantages to real wood however. It CAN be re-finished if damaged or scratched. Laminate cannot. My floor is now 6 years this summer, and it is holding up very well. However, there are a few small scratches that cannot be removed.

L.J.
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
I purchased Kenmore fridge & washer/dryer set from Sears about 7 years ago. No problems. Customer service was just excellent, the sales staff was very knowledgeable, just all around great service. We actually received a call from Sears a few years ago and was notified that we were due for our free maintenance on our appliances. They sent someone right out.

When hooking up a water filter to the fridge, I somehow managed to get the water line in the fridge clogged. I didn't run enough water through the filter before I installed it. Sears came out and replaced the water line and clogged valve free of charge even though it was my fault.

Our fridge is pretty big but the freezer section(side by side door) is kinda small. We ended up getting a second fridge (Frigidaire) for the garage and also a deep freezer. Both have been in the garage and running good for about 6 years.

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Most of the time they do!

I too have laminate in my kitchen. In fact, it's pretty much the entire floor. Except for the family room, and master bedroom, I laid laminate all over.

There are certain advantages to real wood however. It CAN be re-finished if damaged or scratched. Laminate cannot. My floor is now 6 years this summer, and it is holding up very well. However, there are a few small scratches that cannot be removed.
We put it in a few rooms in the home we just sold. It took a beating, and for the most part there aren't any scratches. I like the stuff.

I've used it in 2 homes now going on 3. Depending on the damage - the cost of repairing the hardwood to satisfaction can exceed the cost of replacing the laminate quite a bit. Depends on the damage serverity I guess.
I have noticed from the laminates I used, the thicker, the better, and generally a little bit more money up front will pay off in terms of durability.

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Good advice too - I've seen experienced first hand what can happen in a kitchen to hardwood when boiling water spills, large heavy appliances scratch, glass/ceramic dishware falls and breaks. Our previous home in Maine had hardwood there, it was a tough, durable wood with a good coat of poly on it but it still took a beating. Water damage if it ever happens is expensive to fix. The kitchen is also the highest traffic area of most homes, and ours showed the results of the added wear quite noticeably. I think in a perfect world it wouldn't matter, but when considering what can go wrong you might think again.

Ceramic tile on the other hand is perfect in the kitchen. Durable too - I dropped a microwave that didn't survive, but the tile did...vinyl/laminates would be my 2nd choice because it can be cheaper and easier to replace than hardwood in the event of catastrophe.
They are making some incredibly neat laminate flooring products these days - an idiot can install it themselves and save a ton. IMO the thicker the better, we're putting some of that 15 mm double thick stuff in our basement (another bad spot for hardwoods, especially in Canada).

So let's see... He's dropped a pot of boiling water on the floor, slid heavy appliances across the floor, dropped plates and glasses on the floor, dropped a MICROWAVE on the floor, and he's also dropped his only camera overboard. Hmmm... how's your amp holding up dude? :crazy: Sounds like maybe somebody is hand-eye challenged? And then he says an "idiot" can install laminate flooring. Well, I guess you have to drop it at some point, right?

:biggrin5:

When I get home tonite Kex-o-matic, I'll tell you what brand of appliances you'll need to buy, okay? :1:

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
So let's see... He's dropped a pot of boiling water on the floor, slid heavy appliances across the floor, dropped plates and glasses on the floor, dropped a MICROWAVE on the floor, and he's also dropped his only camera overboard. Hmmm... how's your amp holding up dude? :crazy: Sounds like maybe somebody is hand-eye challenged? And then he says an "idiot" can install laminate flooring. Well, I guess you have to drop it at some point, right?

Okay, let's set the record straight - I didn't drop the boiling water, but it was my floor...The Microwave was all me though.

I did slide a fridge and stove to clean - the scratches were nasty and judging by the floor's condition, not exclusive to my appliances :ciappa:

Who doesn't drop the odd bit of dishware?

The camera...well...guilty...but there's not a scratch on my car!

(I also seem to be the only person with a permanent 7-inch scar as a result of an encounter with an unfriendly ATM)

When I get home tonite Kex-o-matic, I'll tell you what brand of appliances you'll need to buy, okay? :1
Lemme guess, whatever units have TI goods inside...:3:

GMichael
07-09-2008, 09:22 AM
I purchased Kenmore fridge & washer/dryer set from Sears about 7 years ago. No problems. Customer service was just excellent, the sales staff was very knowledgeable, just all around great service. We actually received a call from Sears a few years ago and was notified that we were due for our free maintenance on our appliances. They sent someone right out.

When hooking up a water filter to the fridge, I somehow managed to get the water line in the fridge clogged. I didn't run enough water through the filter before I installed it. Sears came out and replaced the water line and clogged valve free of charge even though it was my fault.

Our fridge is pretty big but the freezer section(side by side door) is kinda small. We ended up getting a second fridge (Frigidaire) for the garage and also a deep freezer. Both have been in the garage and running good for about 6 years.

We have a second (larger GE) fridge in the garage also. It holds lots of beer.:13:

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Most people don't realize that Kex is related to the late President Gerald Ford. You ought to see his stairwell. Had a landing pad installed at the base!

GMichael
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM

When I get home tonite Kex-o-matic, I'll tell you what brand of appliances you'll need to buy, okay? :1:

Are you going to run around dropping things to see which ones don't break?

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks. Those are good points. There's so much to consider...appliances are only the beginning!

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Lemme guess, whatever units have TI goods inside...:3:
The Oral B "Triumph" electric toothbrush and the Oral B Triumph with "SmartGuide" have TI parts inside. There's a Dremel tool with TI parts inside, but you'll probably need to take more therapy classes before you're able to handle one of them. (He he snicker snicker.) :smilewinkgrin:

Are you going to run around dropping things to see which ones don't break?
Think I should? Might save him some cash in the long run huh?

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Most people don't realize that Kex is related to the late President Gerald Ford. You ought to see his stairwell. Had a landing pad installed at the base!
It's bad enough I get the "klutz" jabs from the wife every day, don't need hear it hear from you guys too.:19:

Fact: Still have all 10 fingers, that's something considering the amount of time I spend around power tools in my spare time.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 09:54 AM
The Oral B "Triumph" electric toothbrush and the Oral B Triumph with "SmartGuide" have TI parts inside. There's a Dremel tool with TI parts inside, but you'll probably need to take more therapy classes before you're able to handle one of them. (He he snicker snicker.) :smilewinkgrin:

Think I should? Might save him some cash in the long run huh?

I don't know. Please don't drop that amp in any case. I hate to see good things go to waste. Not to mention that you may break part of the floor.

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
It's bad enough I get the "klutz" jabs from the wife every day, don't need hear it hear from you guys too.:19:

Fact: Still have all 10 fingers, that's something considering the amount of time I spend around power tools in my spare time.

You can't count the 3 fingers and thumb that are in various glass jars. You can ONLY count them if they are still attached.:out:

BTW most people have EIGHT (8) Fingers, and TWO (2) Thumbs. You must really be an odd duck...and strangly attractive to the ladies..

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
You can't count the 3 fingers and thumb that are in various glass jars. You can ONLY count them if they are still attached.:out:

BTW most people have EIGHT (8) Fingers, and TWO (2) Thumbs. You must really be an odd duck...and strangly attractive to the ladies..

Thumbs ARE fingers as far as table saws are concerned...

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2008, 10:41 AM
The expert thread derailers have struck again! :ihih:

I promise it'll be back on track by tonite Kex. :yesnod:

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Thumbs ARE fingers as far as table saws are concerned...

Who the HELL puts a table saw in the kitchen? Maybe you should be buying your meat from a different source.

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
The expert thread derailers have struck again! :ihih:

I promise it'll be back on track by tonite Kex. :yesnod:

But prolly not anytime sooner than that...Autumn, this be one of them times...fair warning

Did someone mention the need for "dremel"? Like, in powertools? Powertools are an important part of any home renovation or relocation...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EE0JgJK7Ny0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EE0JgJK7Ny0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GMichael
07-09-2008, 11:20 AM
But prolly not anytime sooner than that...Autumn, this be one of them times...fair warning

Did someone mention the need for "dremel"? Like, in powertools? Powertools are an important part of any home renovation or relocation...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EE0JgJK7Ny0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EE0JgJK7Ny0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Power tools? I didn't see any power tools in that vid. I'll have to watch again.

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Power tools? I didn't see any power tools in that vid. I'll have to watch again.

I kept looking for a dremel like the one I have. My wife never looked that good rounding out the corners. In fact, she looked kinda pissed while doing the work. I'm not sure why, as I gave her a break every so often so she could get me another beer.

Ungrateful really.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I kept looking for a dremel like the one I have. My wife never looked that good rounding out the corners. In fact, she looked kinda pissed while doing the work. I'm not sure why, as I gave her a break every so often so she could get me another beer.

Ungrateful really.

FA is going to give you such a pinch!

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 11:37 AM

Only a pinch? I was hoping for a spankin'.

GMichael
07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Only a pinch? I was hoping for a spankin'.

SVI may be willing to help you out with that.

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
SVI may be willing to help you out with that.

Nah, he drives two on the tree, not one on the floor.

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Can we PLEASE not take this thread in that direction. So far I'm enjoying this one. :rolleyes:

Groundbeef
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Can we PLEASE not take this thread in that direction. So far I'm enjoying this one. :rolleyes:

If you want to help Kex laminate his hardwood, perhaps you ought to PM him. Wait, that's not what I meant. If you would like to...oh never mind.

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Protein shake

eskimo

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Blender: Osterizer 12 speed blender with ice crusher - Makes my Margaritas smooth as silk.

Juicer: Black & Decker "CitrusMate Plus" - Makes quick work of fresh limes; a key ingredient in Margaritas.

Can opener: Hamilton Beach "Penguin" - 7 years old and still going strong.

Coffee Maker: Cuisinart Automatic Grind & Brew - Without one I might as well not even get up in the morning.

Toaster oven: Farberware Toaster oven/Broiler - I cook almost everything in this thing (what can I say, I'm a bachelor)

Toaster: Proctor Silex - Not much to say about this... it's a toaster and good at it.

Okay, so what else do you want to know about? :thumbsup:

kexodusc
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Blender: Osterizer 12 speed blender with ice crusher - Makes my Margaritas smooth as silk.

Juicer: Black & Decker "CitrusMate Plus" - Makes quick work of fresh limes; a key ingredient in Margaritas.

Can opener: Hamilton Beach "Penguin" - 7 years old and still going strong.

Coffee Maker: Cuisinart Automatic Grind & Brew - Without one I might as well not even get up in the morning.

Toaster oven: Farberware Toaster oven/Broiler - I cook almost everything in this thing (what can I say, I'm a bachelor)

Toaster: Proctor Silex - Not much to say about this... it's a toaster and good at it.

Okay, so what else do you want to know about? :thumbsup:

I was thinking more along the lines of Range/oven, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc....you know...big appliances.

Update: We spent most of the day shopping and price haggling between 3 places in town. We're still sitting on a few kitchen packages, but we got an offer too good to refuse on a washer/dryer combo tonight - LG front load units, with $200 gift card towards the PS3 we're getting soon :5: (she wins, I win, everyone's happy). They threw in 2 yrs extended warranty. Not sure how much that's worth to us, the LG's are the ONLY brand I found of all the regulars that have more than a basic 1 year on the washer/dryer units (3 yr controller, 5 year drum, 7 year motor).

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Range/oven, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc....you know...big appliances...
:D :smilewinkgrin:

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2008, 05:20 AM

Actually that post made me laugh out loud! :biggrin5:

I have that same coffee maker and just love it! My only complaint is that the carafe is hard to pour from. You almost have to turn it upside down to get the coffee out.

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Update: We spent most of the day shopping and price haggling between 3 places in town. We're still sitting on a few kitchen packages, but we got an offer too good to refuse on a washer/dryer combo tonight - LG front load units, with $200 gift card towards the PS3 we're getting soon :5: (she wins, I win, everyone's happy). They threw in 2 yrs extended warranty. Not sure how much that's worth to us, the LG's are the ONLY brand I found of all the regulars that have more than a basic 1 year on the washer/dryer units (3 yr controller, 5 year drum, 7 year motor).

Sounds like a great deal!!! Kex, if you don't mind, I'd like to know what kitchen appliances you end up with. We're starting to shop around but it sounds like you're closer to actually buying stuff than we are.

L.J.
07-10-2008, 07:00 AM
$200 gift card towards the PS3 we're getting soon :5: (she wins, I win, everyone's happy).

Lucky Dawg :cornut:

kexodusc
07-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Sounds like a great deal!!! Kex, if you don't mind, I'd like to know what kitchen appliances you end up with. We're starting to shop around but it sounds like you're closer to actually buying stuff than we are.
I'll let you know for sure. We've got packages from Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE and Kenmore priced and are considering.

I talked to the folks at FutureShop and they said the GE stuff is the only one they've had "a few issues" with above the the other brands (don't carry Kenmore). Maytag was not well liked at any of the 4 places I've now visited - 1 even recently stopped carrying them because of lack of support so it looks like the good ship Maytag may have run into an iceberg in recent years.

Price seems to be within $200. On $4000k worth of appliances that's not much really.
Online reviews are about equal for all brands- seems they all have their share of lemons and problems. Not sure what else I can do for "due dilligence" here. The Energy Efficiency might be our deciding factor? Where we buy might be the deciding factor too - the furniture/appliance store will send someone to our home, the other places, Sears, Leons, FutureShop, etc would have us deal with the companies unless we purchase their service plans.

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Do you have old appliances that you need to get rid of? I was wondering whether anyone bothered with trade-ins?

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Kex, did you come across any Amana fridges in your wanderings? We found a great deal on one but don't know much about the quality of Amana fridges (I'm always a little leary of great deals...although it is at a very reputable store).

GM, that stove that I was mentioning is made by GE. But we found several other makes also. I think that the style is fairly new to the marketplace. But most of the major manufactorers seem to be making them.

GMichael
07-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Kex, did you come across any Amana fridges in your wanderings? We found a great deal on one but don't know much about the quality of Amana fridges (I'm always a little leary of great deals...although it is at a very reputable store).

GM, that stove that I was mentioning is made by GE. But we found several other makes also. I think that the style is fairly new to the marketplace. But most of the major manufactorers seem to be making them.

Oh I see. It's like the range we have but with the controls up front. I thought you were talking about something like this.

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Oh I see. It's like the range we have but with the controls up front. I thought you were talking about something like this.

Wow. That's really nice, but way out of our price range. The one that I showed you has grooves in the side of the top so that it slides onto your counter-top so that there is no visible break between stove and counter.

GMichael
07-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Wow. That's really nice, but way out of our price range.

Ours too. But it's fun to dream. While I'm at it, make mine with the glass type tops. They are so much easier to clean.

The one that I showed you has grooves in the side of the top so that it slides onto your counter-top so that there is no visible break between stove and counter.

That's a great idea. Keeps the crumbs and spillage where you can reach them. Looks good too.

kexodusc
07-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey FA, I posted a response a few days ago but I don't see anything here?
We bartered the old appliances with the house we sold so I didn't need to recycle or anything.

As far as Amana goes - I know they are owned/made by Whirlpool corporation but still supposedly built separately. The appliance guys I talked to sold only 1 or 2 pieces by them and said they aren't bad, but finding authorized repair centres or parts can be difficult sometimes. Might want to check into that in your area before you commit.

ForeverAutumn
07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey FA, I posted a response a few days ago but I don't see anything here?
We bartered the old appliances with the house we sold so I didn't need to recycle or anything.

As far as Amana goes - I know they are owned/made by Whirlpool corporation but still supposedly built separately. The appliance guys I talked to sold only 1 or 2 pieces by them and said they aren't bad, but finding authorized repair centres or parts can be difficult sometimes. Might want to check into that in your area before you commit.

I suspect that we'll end up donating the old appliances to charity. Although I did contact the company that makes our dishwasher to see whether we can just replace the door with a stainless steel one.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I just checked Consumer Reports and they rate Amana fridges quite high. But I will look into repair centres. Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have thought of that.

ForeverAutumn
07-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on whether a $1,000 dishwasher (Bosch, Mielle) is really any better than a $500 dishwasher (Kitchenaid, Whirlpool)?

GMichael
07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on whether a $1,000 dishwasher (Bosch, Mielle) is really any better than a $500 dishwasher (Kitchenaid, Whirlpool)?

The Bosch is very heavily insulated for sound. You could sit right next to it while watching your favorite TV show and not even notice that it's on. But we ended up with a Kenmore Elite that is also very nicely insulated. It was about $600. We can barely hear it running when it's on. Full of nice features just like the Bosch.

kexodusc
07-18-2008, 09:28 AM
There's some nice features - but you can even get some pretty cool gadgets on the $500-$600. I'm looking at a $700 one, so maybe I'm splitting the difference.

In terms of cleaning, when we asked the sales lady she claimed to have used both in her home and that the more expensive ones don't clean better, but they might have a feature that dries better, or allows just cleaning one rack at a time etc.

Sounds believable.

ForeverAutumn
07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
There's some nice features - but you can even get some pretty cool gadgets on the $500-$600. I'm looking at a $700 one, so maybe I'm splitting the difference.

In terms of cleaning, when we asked the sales lady she claimed to have used both in her home and that the more expensive ones don't clean better, but they might have a feature that dries better, or allows just cleaning one rack at a time etc.

Sounds believable.

Funny, the sales guy that we talked to last night explained how the less expensive dishwashers have a garberator feature that chops up any food in the dishwasher (that's what makes them noisy) which often ends up being sent back out into the rinse cycle (we've seen evidence of this in our previous dishwasher...little bits of food dried onto the glasses). The more expensive washers have a filter that traps large food items and has to be cleaned, but makes them quieter and better at cleaning dishes. That sounded reasonable to me.

We have a Bosch that came with our new house. It's quiet as a whisper, but does a crappy job at drying. We have to open the door after the cycle and let the dishes air dry. We don't know the age of the dishwasher, it could just be malfunctioning.

I'm not sure, however, that the garberator issue is enough reason to spend the extra money. I'm just wondering if anyone has a more compelling argument to go one way or the other.

kexodusc
07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Funny, the sales guy that we talked to last night explained how the less expensive dishwashers have a garberator feature that chops up any food in the dishwasher (that's what makes them noisy) which often ends up being sent back out into the rinse cycle (we've seen evidence of this in our previous dishwasher...little bits of food dried onto the glasses). The more expensive washers have a filter that traps large food items and has to be cleaned, but makes them quieter and better at cleaning dishes. That sounded reasonable to me.

Uh oh, someone's feeding one of us some bull.

We were told pretty much all the models by every brand today, even the cheap $400 ones they carried have self-cleaning filters now and the food bits aren't spit out into the cycle again, and that they've been made this way for a while.

I have no idea if the unit we were using the last 3 years had it or not but it was whisper quiet either way and it was pretty inexpensive. Never had any food bits, but there's only 2 of us dirtying dishes so it rarely got super full.

I am NOT up to date on dishwasher technology so I have no idea what the real story is here.

ForeverAutumn
07-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Uh oh, someone's feeding one of us some bull.

We were told pretty much all the models by every brand today, even the cheap $400 ones have self-cleaning filters now and the food bits aren't spit out into the cycle again, and that they've been made this way for a while.

Hmmmm. Our prior dishwasher was only three years old and did sometimes leave little bits of stuff on the dishes, but we knew when we bought it that we would be moving in the next couple of years so we bought the cheapest appliances that we could find and still live with for a few years. It was pretty loud too. Glad to be rid of it actually.

If you're shopping for a dishwasher...we were told to look into Haier. It's a Chinese company breaking into the North American market. According to Wikipedia, they are the third largest appliance company IN THE WORLD! Apparently they are pretty high end but coming in with low prices to get their name known and buy market share (LG used this strategy very successfully a few years ago and now they are priced in line with everyone else). We're going to the appliance store tomorrow to check them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haier

kexodusc
07-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Hmmmm. Our prior dishwasher was only three years old and did sometimes leave little bits of stuff on the dishes, but we knew when we bought it that we would be moving in the next couple of years so we bought the cheapest appliances that we could find and still live with for a few years. It was pretty loud too. Glad to be rid of it actually.

If you're shopping for a dishwasher...we were told to look into Haier. It's a Chinese company breaking into the North American market. According to Wikipedia, they are the third largest appliance company IN THE WORLD! Apparently they are pretty high end but coming in with low prices to get their name known and buy market share (LG used this strategy very successfully a few years ago and now they are priced in line with everyone else). We're going to the appliance store tomorrow to check them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haier

Hey I saw that name...never heard of it and just dismissed it.

I sorta have a feeling we're going to end up with all our kitchen appliances from one manufacturer so the colors and trim all match. That's probably not a good idea but oh well.

I suppose at the end of the day it's a good bet anything we pick will work for us.
We're counting weeks now until our house is finished, we should probably hurry up and order.

ForeverAutumn
07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
We're counting weeks now until our house is finished, we should probably hurry up and order.

That's very exciting! Did you design the house yourself or is it part of a new development?

Rumour has it that appliance prices will be jumping by 15 - 20% soon, if the price of gas doesn't drop. Transportation is mostly by truck.

kexodusc
07-19-2008, 09:39 AM
That's very exciting! Did you design the house yourself or is it part of a new development?

Rumour has it that appliance prices will be jumping by 15 - 20% soon, if the price of gas doesn't drop. Transportation is mostly by truck.
Nah, we hired an engineer/drafter dude to help us, stole a bunch of ideas from free plans on the internet and he turned that from sketches to something realistic for us.

FA, 3 of the places we visited told us they could only guarantee the prices for 10 days because rumour had it the prices were going up very soon (end of July). I thought it was BS at first but if you're hearing something similar maybe there's some truth to it?

We're going to get it tonight possibly, but more likely Monday. Sorta need it soon.

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2008, 05:18 AM
I'd love to build my own house! Unfortunately, land is so expensive here, it's just not feasible. Renovating is the closest that I'm ever going to get to a custom built house. But that's fun too!

It makes sense to me that prices for appliances and, really, anything that relies on the trucking industry, will go up. We had a guy come to look at our furnace last week and he charged us a $9 fuel surcharge. If gas prices don't come down they are going to create some serious inflation by the end of the year.

Kex, we bought our appliances yesterday. We don't need them until Sept, but we had to order the fridge early to take advantage of a great sale price and decided to buy everything at once so that we could make a better deal with the sales man.

It was a lot cheaper for us to go with different brands for each appliance, but everything is a brushed stainless steel with stainless handles (as opposed to black handles) so it won't be obvious (I hope). Here's what we ended up with...

Fridge - Amana - Counter depth, bottom freezer, single door for the top. We both liked the french door models but we got such a great clearance price on this fridge that we couldn't justify spending the extra money for french doors.

Stove - Samsung - We love the slide in stoves that I discussed earlier. Aesthetically, they look fantastic. But when we started pricing around we found that those aesthetics came at a very high price. The slide in stove that was in our budget (GE) had four burners and a basic oven without convection or warming drawer. For the same price in a traditional stove we got five burners, one is an oversize burner for large pots, convection (with two fans and a heating element), covered bottom coils, a warming drawer, a steam cleaning feature, a 5.7 cubic foot oven (huge!) and all kinds of other programmable features that we'll likely never use. The Samsung not only offered way better value than GE or Kitchenaid or some of the other name brands (about $300 less) but was the best looking stove for the kitchen style that we're going for. And the reviews that I've read are very good.

Dishwasher - We ended up with the Haier. After doing some research and going over features with our salesman, this dishwasher has all the same features and benefits of a Bosch or Miele and we paid $650 vs. $1129 for the equivalent Bosch.

I hope this helps. If you want prices, PM me.

kexodusc
07-20-2008, 10:04 AM
I'd love to build my own house! Unfortunately, land is so expensive here, it's just not feasible. Renovating is the closest that I'm ever going to get to a custom built house. But that's fun too!

It makes sense to me that prices for appliances and, really, anything that relies on the trucking industry, will go up. We had a guy come to look at our furnace last week and he charged us a $9 fuel surcharge. If gas prices don't come down they are going to create some serious inflation by the end of the year.

Kex, we bought our appliances yesterday. We don't need them until Sept, but we had to order the fridge early to take advantage of a great sale price and decided to buy everything at once so that we could make a better deal with the sales man.

It was a lot cheaper for us to go with different brands for each appliance, but everything is a brushed stainless steel with stainless handles (as opposed to black handles) so it won't be obvious (I hope). Here's what we ended up with...

Fridge - Amana - Counter depth, bottom freezer, single door for the top. We both liked the french door models but we got such a great clearance price on this fridge that we couldn't justify spending the extra money for french doors.

Stove - Samsung - We love the slide in stoves that I discussed earlier. Aesthetically, they look fantastic. But when we started pricing around we found that those aesthetics came at a very high price. The slide in stove that was in our budget (GE) had four burners and a basic oven without convection or warming drawer. For the same price in a traditional stove we got five burners, one is an oversize burner for large pots, convection (with two fans and a heating element), covered bottom coils, a warming drawer, a steam cleaning feature, a 5.7 cubic foot oven (huge!) and all kinds of other programmable features that we'll likely never use. The Samsung not only offered way better value than GE or Kitchenaid or some of the other name brands (about $300 less) but was the best looking stove for the kitchen style that we're going for. And the reviews that I've read are very good.

Dishwasher - We ended up with the Haier. After doing some research and going over features with our salesman, this dishwasher has all the same features and benefits of a Bosch or Miele and we paid $650 vs. $1129 for the equivalent Bosch.

I hope this helps. If you want prices, PM me.

Hey FA, thanks for sharing.
We've got a few packages picked out including none of the brands you mentioned but I suspect we'll make our minds up tomorrow night. We've narrowed it down to Frigidaire, Kenwood, and Whirlpool because those are the best deals we've found on appliances we could live with.

We're not going to fancy on the fridge though, top or bottom freezer depending which brand (we have a water cooler we use and don't need the dispenser, french doors are out). Think we'll just get a basic convection oven in the with the flat surface...and I think your guy was right on the dishwasher - the sales lady at telling us about the garberators was contested by a few other sales folk. We're making sure we get a decent dishwasher, no food chunks on my dishware, thank you.

We get some cool energy rebates out here for buying Energy Star rated appliances- up $500 free cash from various sources since it's a new home ($100 for each major appliance, but I don't think any of the stoves we're looking at qualify)- not sure what Ontario's government does, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already?

My wife's an eco-nut, we added a lot of energy saving/environmentally friendly features...there's some big rebates out there to take advantage of.

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2008, 11:59 AM
We get some cool energy rebates out here for buying Energy Star rated appliances- up $500 free cash from various sources since it's a new home ($100 for each major appliance, but I don't think any of the stoves we're looking at qualify)- not sure what Ontario's government does, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already?

My wife's an eco-nut, we added a lot of energy saving/environmentally friendly features...there's some big rebates out there to take advantage of.

We'll have to exchange pictures when both our kitchens are done!

Our fridge and stove are energy star rated but not the dishwasher. In Ontario you don't have to pay PST on energy star rated appliances, which is worth 8%. What kind of other rebates are you referring to?

kexodusc
07-21-2008, 04:20 AM
We'll have to exchange pictures when both our kitchens are done!

Our fridge and stove are energy star rated but not the dishwasher. In Ontario you don't have to pay PST on energy star rated appliances, which is worth 8%. What kind of other rebates are you referring to?

In NB you pay everything in store but there's a rebate process available if you apply for it, we don't get the PST deal though. Each province has different incentives, and some municipalities and cities have their own I see. 8% is pretty good, the more you buy the more you save. Ours is limited to a maximum of $500.

I assume Ontario would have renovation incentives available should you decide to tackle new doors/windows/insulation someday. I dunno too much about it but a quick Google led me here:
http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=conservation.homeretrofit_faq s#q1

GMichael
07-21-2008, 05:13 AM
Sounds like you two are progressing very well. Kex, I think your best bet is to pick one set out and buy soon. Price increases is a very real possibility. They'll hold them till you need them. Getting them all from one source like FA did does help with seeking a discount.
Energy Star is good, but check the ratings. You can save yourself a few bucks down the road. When we were buying, Energy Stars were given out to anything with a rating over 9.5, but many models had ratings well above 10 or 11. This can add up over the years.

Don't forget to share pictures with the rest of us too

ForeverAutumn
07-21-2008, 05:31 AM
I assume Ontario would have renovation incentives available should you decide to tackle new doors/windows/insulation someday. I dunno too much about it but a quick Google led me here:
http://www.energy.gov.on.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=conservation.homeretrofit_faq s#q1

Hey thanks for that link! I had no idea that program existed. We had a guy come and look at our furnace last week because it was leaking from the A/C. He told us that it looked original to the house and that it was probably only about 55% efficient. He recommended that we replace it ASAP to save money on our gas and electricity bills. I want to do it this summer but Hubby wants to wait until next year. Either way, I'll look into this program first. Thanks!

Rich-n-Texas
07-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Well it's nice to know Mr. & Mrs. Suzy Homemaker are progressing towards their ultimate goal of home appliance nirvana! :rolleyes:

BTW, my refrigerator's bigger than your refrigerator! :p

Groundbeef
07-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Two things:

1. We have a GE dishwasher. With 3 children, we run it 1x daily (full). We spent the LEAST we could, $327. I has a food disposal, and NO filter. We have no problem with dirty dishes. I avoided the more expensive models because of the "filters" that need to be manually cleaned. I tend to either be lazy or foget little things like that, and I didn't want my washer to smell like a sewer backup if I didn't stay on top of the filter cleaning.

This washer has been in service for 6 years this August. Apart from the plastic changing color a bit, I have no complaints.

Also, a loud washer doesn't really bother me, we usually set the timer to run at night. No one the wiser.

2. Seeing as this is an AV forum, I think we should focus on discussing the Fridge's with flat panel displays on them. I think it's a waste. Anyone else?

Dilitor
05-17-2021, 12:05 AM
Is your freezer not freez? Do you have a noisy fridge on your hands, or perhaps a refrigerator leaking water? No matter the issue, when your refrigerator is not working accordingly, it is incredibly frustrating to deal with along. Rather than attempting DIY fixes or purchasing a completely new fridge, here is soluiton freezer repair (https://anbappliance.com/freezer-repair/)

Dilitor
02-16-2022, 10:14 AM
Try to contact with service freezer repair (https://oscarappliancerepair.com/san-diego-freezer-repair/) near me. They specialize in Air Conditioner repairing, Refrigerators repairing, washing machine repair services in the USA, and another miscellaneous appliance repairing. The selling feature of this company is that it can repair any model of any company and uses only original parts for the repairing.