Which Onkyo reciever should I buy given my setup? 705/805/875. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Onkyo reciever should I buy given my setup? 705/805/875.

DannyMc
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Can you have too much power? Buy too much reciever?

Is it a mistake to buy a better receiver than your speakers? My current Onkyo reciever (747) gets 90 watts stereo, 80 watts LR + 40 watts surround. I've got a 5.1 setup in my living room, and two more speakers running off another old reciever that I'm using to poer my outdoor speakers. I'd also like to add two more cieling speakers in my dining room.

My choices in a new Onkyo receiver are:
The 605 (90w x 7)
The 705 (100w x7)
The 805 (130w x7)
The 875 (140w x7)

I'm leaning towards the Onkyo 805, but I'm wondering if anyone has advise first. Thanks!

Center:Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus, Unknown watts
Sides: Cambridge Soundworks Newton NC300 150 watts max
Surrounds: Cambridge Soundworks Ambience 80 Cieling Speakers, 125 watts max
Woofer: Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 8.
Outdoor Speakers: Yamaha Outdoor Speakers 120Watt Max.
HDTV: Panasonic 42" Plasma
BluRay DVD Player: Sony

musicman1999
07-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Why limit yourself to Onkyo? There may be better places to spend your money, i see you don't mention front speakers, i assume this was an omission. Your soundworks speakers are fairly basic, perhaps your cash might be better spent on new speakers or does your current receiver no longer work? Also how much money do you want to spend?

bill

DannyMc
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. My budget is $400-700. I'm looking at Onkyo mainly because that's all I've ever had and my CD and Tape player are Onkyo (although i really don't use either anymore!) But I've been happy with them and to add all the other brands in the mix just gets my head spinning.

All my speakers are basically mid-range Cambridge Soundworks (including the two fronts) which are basically bookshelf speakers. Would I be better off replacing these instead of the reciever? I'm trying to limit the stuff in the house as the wife hates the clutter!

pixelthis
07-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. My budget is $400-700. I'm looking at Onkyo mainly because that's all I've ever had and my CD and Tape player are Onkyo (although i really don't use either anymore!) But I've been happy with them and to add all the other brands in the mix just gets my head spinning.

All my speakers are basically mid-range Cambridge Soundworks (including the two fronts) which are basically bookshelf speakers. Would I be better off replacing these instead of the reciever? I'm trying to limit the stuff in the house as the wife hates the clutter!

you do need decent speakers, good luck geting the spousal unit to go along.
If you ever do get the scratch for speakers, axiom for on the cheap is good, as well as av123.
And of course B&W 600 series is great as well as a value.
Their 300 series is now made in China, dont know how good it is.
AS far as Onkyo, go with what you know.
I had a Yammie(two as a matterof fact), a Denon(two of those also)
and my current integra beats em all.
Its a little better, but is still made by the same guys.
A friend likes his 605 also, btw. When over there setting it up for him I was amazed by the clean sound and the DD decoding.
PLUS your remote will be compatible with your CD player...:1:

BadAssJazz
07-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Can you have too much power?

Not in my opinion.

Buy too much reciever?

Yes, it's possible to overshoot a reasonable pricepoint for your intended use. I have a friend who lives in the tiniest apartment, where evidently the walls are all made of cardboard...you can hear his neighbors walking around next door or opening and closing cabinet doors. He purchased an SVS PC Ultra sub with 700+ watts of power with the notion of "staying competitive" with everyone else. Great sub, but he can't play it without getting noise complaints. He's on notice from his landlord at this very moment.

It's the same with receivers. Most of the features on receivers are pretty much universal, but if you don't need all of the bells and whistles that a top tier receiver offers, why pay top tier prices for it? Get something that works for your environs.

Is it a mistake to buy a better receiver than your speakers? Here is where I'll probably clash with other opinions. I think it's a mistake to spend more on the receiver than you do the speakers. As long as you have a receiver that can drive your speakers, it's best to commit the majority of your budget to the speakers.

Why?

Odds are high that no matter what electronics you get, you'll end up replacing them long before you replace your speakers. Blame innovation or the upgrade bug, it happens more often than not.

Second, with receivers especially, the features offered by the entry level units are usually more than enough to fill the bill. With some research you can find an entry to mid-level receiver that offers 100 wpc, all of the needed sound fields (e.g., DPLII, etc.), HDMI connectivity, and so on, for dirt cheap. Need more power? Just add a used amp, all for a cheaper total cost to you combined than some of the flagship receivers.

I'm leaning towards the Onkyo 805, but I'm wondering if anyone has advise first. Thanks!

Center:Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus, Unknown watts
Sides: Cambridge Soundworks Newton NC300 150 watts max
Surrounds: Cambridge Soundworks Ambience 80 Cieling Speakers, 125 watts max
Woofer: Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 8.

Cambridge Soundworks no longer has a retail store in my area, but they often married Onkyo and Sony components with their speaker line. Whether or not this was a result of them catering to a particular clientele, or if they truly believed that those brands were the perfect match for their speakers, I can't say. I will say that the Newton series received some rave reviews, but if you ever get a chance to compare them to the likes of B&W, Vienna Acoustics, or Paradigms, you will hear their shortcomings. It's not even close.

Sorry, that's a loooooooong way to go to simply say that you can't go wrong with Onkyo. I bought the 805 a few months back and have no regrets really, just a tinge of curiousity of the Reon chip in the 905. But if I never get the 905, I can live happily with the 805, especially since it was only $600 for a 130 wpc receiver that offers True HD and does just about everything well.

Something else to keep in mind... the rumbling that you're hearing in the distance is the applause for Onkyo's 6 series receivers that are just now hitting the market. Something about the perfect intersection of price-performance-features.

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Sorry, that's a loooooooong way to go to simply say that you can't go wrong with Onkyo. I bought the 805 a few months back and have no regrets really, just a tinge of curiousity of the Reon chip in the 905.

Question: Doesn't the 875 have the Reon chip as well? That might be another "perfect intersection of price/performance featuires".

FWIW I agree with BadAss' take on speaker/processor allocations.

musicman1999
07-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Put me down for that as well, speakers should be the largest percentage of your system.

bill

pixelthis
07-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Question: Doesn't the 875 have the Reon chip as well? That might be another "perfect intersection of price/performance featuires".

FWIW I agree with BadAss' take on speaker/processor allocations.

So do I, speakers are key.
As for the 875, yes it does have the reon chip
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538999390

And that is why I am thinking of a receiver with my "toy" money this year, if the reon is anything near the realta I saw working in an Olevia.
best SD pic I ever saw.
This receiver also does the burr brown for sound, for 1100 I think it cant be beat:1:

BadAssJazz
07-10-2008, 09:55 AM

That's affirmative. The 875 has the Reon chip as well.

Worf101
07-11-2008, 06:57 AM
That's affirmative. The 875 has the Reon chip as well.
I've not bought a new receiver in a coon's age. Been hearing "Reon chip this and that" for the last month... err....

Forgive my new old noobishness but what the Hell IS this chip and what does it do?

Da "showing my age and ignorance again" Worfster

BadAssJazz
07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I've not bought a new receiver in a coon's age. Been hearing "Reon chip this and that" for the last month... err....

Forgive my new old noobishness but what the Hell IS this chip and what does it do?

Da "showing my age and ignorance again" Worfster

Basically it helps make a mighty nice 'n purty picture. Check out a more detailed explanation here:

http://www.siliconoptix.com/products/Realta.cfm

The realta chip and it's little brother, the reon, are designed to greatly enhance video processing. "Hollywood Quality Video" or HQV is their standard. The chips targeted use are TV's, DVD players, AV receivers, projectors, etc.

mrbrad
07-28-2008, 03:58 PM
So, how would you know if it had a realta or reon chip? I have never seen this level of detail in product specs.

bobsticks
07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
So, how would you know if it had a realta or reon chip? I have never seen this level of detail in product specs.

Google is your friend: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14011668

Though not to pick nits but every spec sheet on a 875 or 905 has made mention of the Reon, if only because it's a selling point.

FWIW, with the new "Gennum" chip on the horizon the Realta is getting set to be...you guessed it...relegated to second place. Love that tech growth.

LeeG
09-06-2008, 12:27 AM
The 875 is over 18" deep. Add another inch for cabling that's 19". Does this make sense to have a unit stand out so far from the wall?

RoadRunner6
09-08-2008, 09:13 PM
RE: Onkyo TX-SR875 and the Reon chip.

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/608recfeat/

RR6

f0rge
09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
i bought too much receiver

i have a denon avr-3808ci and i probably should have gotten the 2808 or the yammy rx-v1800, it's just a waste in my current apartment and by the time i have a house it will be outdated.

i'm with the others that if you're spending money, it's better spent on speakers.
great speakers and a crappy receiver will almost always sound better than crappy speakers with an amazing amp. (not saying your speakers are crappy, that's just the analogy)

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 06:36 AM
I guess it's a good thing that people are sharing their ideas, experience and advice in this thread, but ummm... guys, the OP hasn't posted here in 2 months. Does that tell you anything?

GMichael
09-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Party pooper.

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Well, if I didn't end up with Sloppy Seconds ALL THE TIME, I wouldn't be a party pooper now would I? :incazzato:

GMichael
09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Don't you mean, thrilling thirds?

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Either way I end up on the short end of the sticks.