Extended Warrenty Paid Off!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warrenty Paid Off!!!

Groundbeef
07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
My Sony Plasma started acting funny a few weeks ago. Started displaying colored vertical lines on one side of the screen.

Called BB, and got a ticket started. Local repair service came out and picked up the TV. I talked to the repair guy yesterday, and he said there was some sort of board that was in the process of dying. Cost of the board is just shy of $400, and labor is about 1 hour.

Good thing I bought the extended warrenty for $200.

I've not had one of those things pay off before.

nightflier
07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
The problem with warranty agreements is that the manufacturer or vendor can replace or repair "at their own discretion." This means that this replacement board could be salvaged or second hand as well. It could even introduce new problems. I believe there are far more responses on discussion boards and eval sites about people who have had negative experiences with warranty services, than positive ones. Many people wind up having gear repaired or replaced multiple times until finally, when the costs to repair outweigh the costs of the warranty policy, then the item is replaced with a brand new one.

Now I'm not saying this will be your experience, but my experience has been checkered to say the least, typically from some manufacturers more than others (Philips, Zenith, and HK for me). Sometimes it's also a specific model or line of items that seems to have more problems. BTW, for most major brands, Consumer Reports does a good job of rating service satisfaction.

Groundbeef
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, I hope my experience is different. The place that is doing the repair is the only Sony certified repair center in my area. Granted, I'm not in the shop looking over the guys shoulder watching him work, but I'm pretty confident it will be done correctly.

pixelthis
07-09-2008, 12:12 AM
An extended warranty is pretty much required for a plasma set,
especially an older one.
Lots of heat and high voltage in one of those things...
The original 90 day warranty that is offered by most is actually
decent, because if anything breaks it will usually be in the first 90 days.
SO usually a warranty is considered a "cash cow".
Thats why stores push them so much, they are a great profit generator.
As for your set, those vertical lines sound like a problem SONY HAD WITH THEIR WEGA tube sets.
As for your set, good luck, you will need it, because once something breaks, its usually not long before something else
breaks, and them chaos theory kicks in....
Get it fixed, then get it in the want ads...:1:

Groundbeef
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Just got off the phone with BB. Talked with repair center 1 hour ago.

Sony 37" WEGA Plasma...dead. Required a circuit board that would run $2700 to fix.

BB will replace TV not to exceed $3599 (original price). So looks like I'm going shopping sometime soon.

Replacment has already been approved. Just waiting on confirmation #. Will let everyone know what I get when I get it!

Whoooohoo

pixelthis
07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Just got off the phone with BB. Talked with repair center 1 hour ago.

Sony 37" WEGA Plasma...dead. Required a circuit board that would run $2700 to fix.

BB will replace TV not to exceed $3599 (original price). So looks like I'm going shopping sometime soon.

Replacment has already been approved. Just waiting on confirmation #. Will let everyone know what I get when I get it!

Whoooohoo

Screwed is what you'll get if you get another plasma.
2700$ dollars Is it gold plate or something?
Thats more than an engine rebuild on a new car!!!
Tell the nice folks at Sony you would rather have a nice new LCD.
Probably what you'll get, as Sony got smart and got outta plasma.
Heres the "read between the lines stuff"
The only thing that could cost 2700 bucks would be the panel.
THEY DIDNT WANT YOU TO KNOW THIS, because the industry doesnt want anyone to know about the propensity of plasma panels to "leak out", which they do from time to time.
if peeps knew their actual chances for a "dead" panel plasma sales
would suck even more than they do now.
On LCD you might get a dead pixel, on a plasma the whole shootin match goes down the drain.
Enjoy your new LCD, anyway:1:

kexodusc
07-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Well Beefy, yeah, let us know what you get...I have to get a new TV for the wife here in a month or so...maybe the same size if she'll let me (it's going in the bedroom).

Geez, you might get an upgrade out of this - haven't set prices come down in the last few years?

Groundbeef
07-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Well Beefy, yeah, let us know what you get...I have to get a new TV for the wife here in a month or so...maybe the same size if she'll let me (it's going in the bedroom).

Geez, you might get an upgrade out of this - haven't set prices come down in the last few years?

Yeah, in 2004 my 37" Sony was $3599, thats with 10% off.

I'm hoping to land in the 50-60" range. I'll see how this process works, and I'll report back.

Luckily I got a plasma, and they don't make them in that size (37") any more.

I won't be going LCD. I prefer Plasma.

pixelthis
07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, in 2004 my 37" Sony was $3599, thats with 10% off.

I'm hoping to land in the 50-60" range. I'll see how this process works, and I'll report back.

Luckily I got a plasma, and they don't make them in that size (37") any more.

I won't be going LCD. I prefer Plasma.

GET A GOOD WARR-E-NTY.
You're gonna need it, just in case the gas leaks outta the "circuit board"
again:wink5: :1:

GMichael
07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
:arf: :1: :arf:

Jack in Wilmington
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Now that's a warranty that paid off big time. Take a good look at the Pioneer plasma.
I believe it's the PDP=5020 FD. Beautiful picture. I was going to get the 42" but Pioneer has dropped it and just making 50 and 60" I think.

Groundbeef
07-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Well, went to BB last night. Process was painless.

Got a 50" Pioneer PDP-5010 for $0 on trade for the dead Sony.

Almost got the 50" elite, but would have run an extra $200, and frankly I don't have $200 right now for a dead TV.

When I got the Sony 4 years ago the extended warrenty was $349. They (BB) wants $549 for a new one on the Pioneer. I declined. That would be close to 25% of the cost of the TV.

I'll risk it.

Thanks for all the comments...mostly (PIX):22:

pixelthis
07-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, went to BB last night. Process was painless.

Got a 50" Pioneer PDP-5010 for $0 on trade for the dead Sony.

Almost got the 50" elite, but would have run an extra $200, and frankly I don't have $200 right now for a dead TV.

When I got the Sony 4 years ago the extended warrenty was $349. They (BB) wants $549 for a new one on the Pioneer. I declined. That would be close to 25% of the cost of the TV.

I'll risk it.

Thanks for all the comments...mostly (PIX):22:

Cant risk 200 bucks for a dead TV, not dead already is it?
Not tying to rag you, hope you rnjoy your new toy and all,
but really, why cant you admit that that 2700 dollar "circuit board"
is really the gas envelope, is all I'M saying.
I guess denial aint really a river in egypt.
WELL, you dodged a bullet on this one, better be even luckier
on the pioneer, since you have no kevlar undies on this one:1:

pixelthis
07-21-2008, 10:43 PM
GROUND BEEFIE and his old lady at the store, with the "polar bear of fate" :1:

mistaneon
08-11-2008, 05:50 PM
the guys there must have went crazy, you got a free tv with the PSP, and you didnt get one on the new set. I am surprised they even let you leave the place. I havent worked there in 4 years though so maybe things have changed...

pixelthis
08-12-2008, 01:10 AM
So what are you gonna do when the 2700$ "circuit board"
(leaky glass envelope) dies and you dont have an extended
warrentee?
Your future as read in my "futurometer":1: