alejandro escobar [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : alejandro escobar

musicman1999
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey guys
Anyone heard any buzz about his new record, due out tomorrow. His last record was good and looking for more.

bill

bobsticks
07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey guys
Anyone heard any buzz about his new record, due out tomorrow. His last record was good and looking for more.

bill

Hey bill,

I haven't heard it but world from around this site and others is that it's a solid offering...prossibly not something that will win new converts but good for fans. I believe Tentoze considers it one of his tops for this year.

OTOH, if yer just lookin' for a fresh listen may I recommend this little blast from the past which is spinnin' over heah as I type...

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/204.jpg

nobody
07-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Is that Alejandro Escovedo's drug peddling younger cousin or what?

Swish
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM

You beat me to it, although I'd have been less subtle in me needling.

Swish - always quick to point out the mistakes of others since I make so many myself

musicman1999
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Oh, my bad. Thats wasn't a good one was it. By the way it's a good record.

bill

musicman1999
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
On a side i recently heard that Alejandro played guitar for a band called the Nuns in the late 70's and they were the opening act for The Sex Pistols on their very first north American dates. Things change over the years.

bill

musicman1999
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Hey bill,

I haven't heard it but world from around this site and others is that it's a solid offering...prossibly not something that will win new converts but good for fans. I believe Tentoze considers it one of his tops for this year.

OTOH, if yer just lookin' for a fresh listen may I recommend this little blast from the past which is spinnin' over heah as I type...

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/204.jpg

hey sticks

sorry, don't know them.

bill

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 03:56 AM
Hey bill,

"The Sea and Cake" is an old Archer Prewitt project from the turn. It would fall within the same genre of jingle-jangle indie stuff as the new album in question, although not nearly as "countrified" as Archer's more recent work.

Clearly I have become too accustomed to seeing the name "Escobar" in print and just moved right on...must be all the Christmas cards exchanged between the families.

sticks

bobsticks
07-09-2008, 04:43 AM
hey sticks

sorry, don't know them.

bill

http://www.mediafire.com/?ugwwktccy2b

nobody
07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I got that Nuns album he's on. Grabbed it after hearing a song called Suicide Child on a compilation from Posh Boy records. Song's a weird trippy organ piece with slashing guitars. rest of teh album is fairly rudimentary punk/new wave sorts atuff, but not bad.

Slosh
07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
The Colony Room (http://www.mediafire.com/?ugwwktccy2b)Sounds like Steely La Tengo to me :)

NP:

jonnyhambone
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
he was also in Rank and File in the mid-80's...kinda countrified Green on Red/cow-pokey R.E.M. sound. Pretty decent prelude to that Uncle Tupelo No Depression-era of stuff soon to come.

musicman1999
07-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I got that Nuns album he's on. Grabbed it after hearing a song called Suicide Child on a compilation from Posh Boy records. Song's a weird trippy organ piece with slashing guitars. rest of teh album is fairly rudimentary punk/new wave sorts atuff, but not bad.

There is a tune on the new album called "Nuns song" about those days

bill

musicman1999
07-09-2008, 04:03 PM
he was also in Rank and File in the mid-80's...kinda countrified Green on Red/cow-pokey R.E.M. sound. Pretty decent prelude to that Uncle Tupelo No Depression-era of stuff soon to come.

Also in a short lived Texas band called True Believers, with his brother. They did a couple of records, hard to find, but worth it.

bill

bobsticks
07-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Sounds like Steely La Tengo to me :)

Ha, quite apt. Cheers!