New Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers

Pughy
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi i need some advice on a speaker system for personal use.
Im needing to play music from a laptop and are looking for an even mix of power and quality.
Budget of max £200, was wondering what the best option would be,
external sound card, monitor speaker or seperate amps speakers subs or whatever ?
Any advice is much appreciated

Mr Peabody
07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
You might see what Audio Engine products sell for in your area. They are very good powered speakers.

Pughy
07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey thanks for the reply
They seem to offer some nice looking speakers in my price range thanks, u think thats a better option than studio speakers of a similar price?
Also u think i would need an external sound card?, the only information i can find about mine is its "High definintion audio device" with drivers by microsoft and i think its integrated.

Mr Peabody
07-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't know much about computer as a source. You don't need anything more than what you have for the Audio Engine. The AE have an internal amp so it's pretty much plug-n-play. I've never really compared them to much. I bought the small ones for my daughter and the sound is very impressive. They don't sound very good right out of the box but after several hours of play to break in they really sound good. It also depends on what you are trying to do, if you are wanting to fill a large room and this to be like a main system you may want to hook your computer up to an external amp and use larger speakers but if it's at your desk or a smaller room the AE's would be great.

There are some on here that use computer or music servers, you might change your title and re-post if you want some hook up specifics. There's also devices that will feed the music off your computer into a home stereo if that was the way you wanted to go. I hear the Squeezebox talked about a lot.

RGA
07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi i need some advice on a speaker system for personal use.
Im needing to play music from a laptop and are looking for an even mix of power and quality.
Budget of max £200, was wondering what the best option would be,
external sound card, monitor speaker or seperate amps speakers subs or whatever ?
Any advice is much appreciated

Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 comes in a powered pro model edition for around $200 Cad. Sounds quite excellent for the money.

filecat13
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
It also depends on what you are trying to do, if you are wanting to fill a large room and this to be like a main system you may want to hook your computer up to an external amp and use larger speakers but if it's at your desk or a smaller room the AE's would be great.

Mr Peabody's inquiry is important. Is this to provide sound from your laptop while you give a presentation or lecture? Are you going to do some mobile DJing at parties or entertain at home? Are you just listening up close while you work?

All three would require different approaches, and there are some great ways to do all three.

Pughy
07-09-2008, 08:45 AM
The main thing im wanting is to with them is just to play music for myself most of the time in a fairly small room.
Would be nice as a bonus if they would be able to hook up with my housemates Dj kit but that doesnt matter much.
Looks like one of the small audio engines seem to be the best bet for me, would u agree?
thanks

basite
07-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I second the audio engines :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
07-09-2008, 05:55 PM
If you can afford it, I'd recommend the model with the 6" woofer and 45 watt amp. The little ones rock for what they are and do fine in my daughter's bedroom but I'm thinking us guys would like more bass and power. It's sad, there are only a couple models and I can't keep then numbers straight.

Pughy
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
i think ur right there, id ideally like some of the A5s but theyre £200 plus p&p whereas the A2s are £115 total rrp anyway but i cant find anywhere cheaper.
They do sound to be some pretty nice speakers, the only bad review ive seen of them is one woman complaining the a2s had 'too much bass', cnt see tht being a problem for me tbh :P
ill keep looking and see if i can find the A5s anywhere a bit cheaper as they seem to be the ideal but i think if not the a2s would probally do fine
cheers for all the advice guys

Pughy
07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Received my audio engine A2s yday, very impressed, worth the money. Im pleased i bought them :)

Mr Peabody
07-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Glad they worked out. They will evens sound better as they get some break in time.